Things Learned Along the Way

by blondie 431 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out where the strong man stumbled, or where a doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs, and who comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause. The man who at best knows the triumph of high achievement and who at worst, if he fails, fails while daring greatly, so that his place will never be with those cold timid souls who never knew victory or defeat."
    ---Teddy Roosevelt

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

"Life as a House"

"You know the great thing though? That change can be so constant that you don't even feel the difference until there is one. It can be so slow that you don't know that your life is better until it is.....or it can just blow you away; make you something different in an instant. "

• blondie
    blondie

Nice quotes.

"To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved." George MacDonald

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy**

Just saw this thread

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer" - quoted by sp

Credit's given to Al Capone for that gem.

"Critics are to writers as lampposts are to dogs." - some writer

"I'm universally liked by those who agree with me." - Oscar Wilde

waiting

** Death is the earth's way of saying 'Howdy.'

• blondie
    blondie

"I never told my religion nor scrutinize that of another. I never attempted to make a convert nor wished to change another's creed. I have judged of others' religion by their lives, for it is from our lives and not from our words that our religion must be read. By the same test must the world judge me." - Thomas Jefferson

• blondie
    blondie

"Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived." - Oscar Wilde

"Think not those faithful who praise all thy words and actions; but those who kindly reprove thy faults." - Socrates

• jgnat
    jgnat

...those who use power rather than charity pursue their own ends and not Jesus Christ's and the rule of divine law is therefore broken. And whenever one prefers to dominate rather than to bestow care, honor inflates pride and what was provided for concord tends to damage.

Saevientibus, in "Works of Paul Wladmiri" 1415

• Valis
    Valis

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• caligirl
    caligirl

"If you never have a dream, you will never have a dream come true. "

"Dreams are the seedlings of reality"

"To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom"

" Do or do not - there is no try"

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I never understood the "keep your friends close, but keep your enemies even closer" - what does that mean?
    "There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you." - Woody Hayes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit