Things Learned Along the Way

by blondie 431 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
  • compound complex
    compound complex

A person spends years coming into his own, developing his talent, his unique gifts, perfecting his discriminations about the world, broadening and sharpening his appetite, learning to bear the disappointments of life, becoming mature, seasoned --- finally a unique creature in nature, standing with some dignity and nobility and trandscending the animal condition; no longer driven, no longer a complete reflex, not stamped out of any mold. And then the real tragedy ...: that it takes sixty years of incredible suffering and effort to make such an individual, and then he is only good for dying.

--- Ernest Becker

• blondie
    blondie

CRISIS-PROOF YOUR LIFE

You can prepare in advance for tough times. (We hope they don't come, but experience suggests they're inevitable.) Try this exercise for reducing anxiety and gaining perspective, from psychologist Karen Reivich, Ph.D.

1. Imagine encountering a serious problem at work or at home. Draw three columns on a piece of paper, and in the far left, list worst-case scenarios--every terrible outcome that pops into your head ("My neighbors stop speaking to me"; "I'll be fired"; and so on). "Putting things on paper offers a reality check," Reivich says; you're better able to tell when you've gone overboard.

2. Then, in the far right-hand column, record all possible positive consequences of this sorry state of affairs--including the wonderful but wildly unlikely ones. "People have a hard time with this, but I encourage them to be playful and silly," says Reivich. (Example: You bravely take responsibility for the problem; the boss admires your spunk and instantly promotes you.)

3. In the middle column, list the most likely results of the snafu. "People write things like, 'I might need to hire some temporary help.'" The more reasonable and realistic the scenario, Reivich says, the more optimistic you'll feel. Now you're ready for the final step: Turn over the paper and jot down your desired outcome, plus two or three concrete things you can do to make it happen.

• choosing life
    choosing life

One I recently came across and remind myself of from time to time.

"Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same."

• blondie
    blondie

You learn who your friends are.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Life goes on.

Thank you Blondie, for reviving this for the newbies (including me). Glad to see you posting. Take care.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Carl W. Buechner

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.

Unknown

After all this is over, all that will really have mattered is how we treated each other.

• blondie
    blondie
    Religions of the World

• Taoism: Shit happens
    • Hare Krisna: Shit happens Rama Rama Ding Ding
    • Hinduism: This shit happened before
    • Islam: If shit happens, take a hostage
    • Zen: What is the sound of shit happening?
    • Buddhism: When shit happens, Is it really shit?
    • Confucianism: Confucius say, "Shit happens"
    • 7th Day Adventist: Shit happens on Saturday
    • Protestantism: Shit won't happen if I work harder
    • Catholicism: If shit happens, I deserve it
    • Jehovah's witness: Knock, Knock, shit happens
    • Unitarian: What is this shit?
    • Mormon: Shit happens, again & again & again
    • Judaism: Why does this shit always happen to me?
    • Rastafarianism: Let's smoke this shit
  • willyloman
    willyloman
  • Jehovah's witness: Knock, Knock, shit happens
  • Blondie: Shouldn't it be: Shit's gonna happen any day now. Real soon. It's just around the corner.

• blondie
    blondie

“We are never deceived; we deceive ourselves.”

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it.”

Thomas Jefferson

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
    Leonardo da Vinci

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit