OMIGOSH! John 5:39, 40...

by AGuest 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gumby
    gumby

The bible was "overhauled" so many times over so many years by so many people.......that it would seem looking for a correct translation would be pointless.

Gumby.........who loves to always be pulling on Shelbys skirt

• AGuest
    AGuest

and peace to you!

And you are correct: like the Law, the Bible is only a "tutor" or "pedagogue" leading TO Christ. Tutors... and pedagogues... are for babes... and Paul makes a good point when he says the words at Galatians 4:1-5, that:

"... as long as the heir is a BABE... he does not differ at all from a slave, lord of all things though he is, but he is UNDER MEN IN CHARGE and UNDER STEWARDS (or tutors or pedagogues or house managers) until the day his father appointed beforehand. Likewise WE, ALSO, WHEN WE WERE BABES, continued enslaved in the ELEMENTARY things belonging to the world. But when the FULL TIME arrived, God sent forth His SON, who came to be out of a woman and who came to be under law, that he might RELEASE by purchase those under law, that we, IN TURN, might receive the adoption as sons."

Now, there are MANY who believed they have received such adoption, dear Plum... but their "elementary" beliefs and understanding shows otherwise. How so? Because although Paul made the statement about the benefit of "scripture", the Apostle JOHN wrote, at 1 John 2:27:

"... as for YOU, the ANOINTING that you received from him remains IN you and you do not need ANYONE to be teaching you; but, as the ANOINTING from HIM is teaching you about ALL things, and is TRUE, and is NO LIE, and just AS it has taught you... remain... IN UNION... with HIM."

And which of these, Paul's admonishment about the scriptures, and John's regarding the anointing teaching us... is in line with what the Master himself said? John is, of course. For our Lord said of the Holy Spirit:

"THAT one... will teach you ALL things and bring back to mind ALL the things I told you..." and

"When THAT one arrives, the spirit OF the TRUTH, HE will guide you into ALL the truth, for HE... will NOT speak of his OWN impulse, but what things HE hears... he will SPEAK, and he will declare to you...

(notice, it does NOT say "the things I TOLD you," but...)

"the things... COMING."

Thus, the things John saw and heard had NOT yet been told to them. And is the same with me... and those like me.

I am truly glad, then, dear Plum, that you get this small truth, that the Bible is only a "tool". It a very important piece of information... one that can make... or break... us... as we seek God, through Christ.

Again, I bid you peace!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SJ

• AGuest
    AGuest
    My point was merely that people don't generally use this one text to support the idea of "only trust the Lord because the scriptures say so".

Now I "see!" Peace to you and MY apologies, for I truly didn't quite understand you. I read it four or five times and still didn't quite get it. But now I do, thanks to your clarification. (Must have been residual "fried brain" from my previous fever - LOLOLOL!)

I quite agree that some, like the pharisees of old, believe that searching the scriptures may bring them life. That appears to have been your original point, so I apologise for the misunderstanding.

Yes, I got that you got that part -

I would like to just comment that I prefer the KJV over any other translation (even though I use dozens). There is something that seem far more in accord with "the Spirit" than any other translation that I've used. Errors, such as the one that you've demonstrated, usually leap from the page (but then they do from the NWT, too ).

ANY version is fine, dear LT. For they are all pretty much the same: containing some truth... and some error. It truly does not matter. I tend to "favor" the NWT, which has a PLETHORA of errors, primarily for that very point: it is quite easy to "see" who and what [the leaders of] the WTBTS truly is/are.

But there is something else: the footnotes in the reference Bible are invaluable... at least to me. My Lord has used them to help me learn Hebrew/Aramaic... and even a little Greek. When I hear him SAY the word, I only have his phonetics to go by. But then, he will tell me where to go, and I will see the word (or a similar word or some rendering/version of it) in writing. THEN, I hear even more clearly what he was saying (he reads the verses to me quite often, actually - I will have read it and thought it said one thing, and he will say, "Now, let ME read it and you follow my voice." What is revealed... is awesome!)

Use whatever version you wish, dear one, for I know that your trust is not in what is written on paper in delible ink. And if it seemed that I was knocking the use of the KJV, please accept my sincerest apology: I was not and that was not my intention. My intention was merely to show why some may not be able to get the proper understanding of the verse... and how the Bible is NOT error-proof and infallible... and thus can mislead. This was, IMHO, a perfect demonstration of that truth.

As always, I bid you the GREATEST of love and peace!

YOUR servant and a fellow slave of Christ,

SJ

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    I know that your trust is not in what is written on paper in delible ink

Ditto

• AGuest
    AGuest

the "modern" versions, dear Gumby (peace to you!)... those translated from the KJV. For it, too, is merely a version... as is the older Douay... and even older Latin Vulgate... and even older Septuagint. In the vision given me of the 14 scribes (posted some time ago; I don't know where).. only two made fairly accurate copies... of the very inaccurate copies they were copying. As I had shared, the others were either bored and so just pretty much wrote what they thought something meant, asleep, or there for the very purpose of changing that which was not agreed with.

Anyway, thanks for the comment... and (smacking Gumby's hands)... leave my skirt alone, boy!!

Peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• gumby
    gumby

If you keep avoiding me Shelby, i'm going to quit buggin you. Can ya at least give me just a little attention such as a "peace to you gumby"? Anything will do.....i'm lonely and I miss your attention.

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

ROFL @ Gumby

• AGuest
    AGuest

May the undeserved kindness and mercy of my God and Father, the Most Holy One of Israel, whose name is JAH of Armies, and the peace of His Son and Christ, my Lord and Master, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH... be upon you... you and your entire household...

Because although you TRY to assert that you have no "need" for the things of which I speak... your kindness towards this, a lowly servant of the Holy One of Israel... shall not go unnoticed. I WILL remember you to my Lord... and he to our Father... when the kingdom is established.

The greatest of love and peace to you, too, dear Gumby.

Your servant... and a slave of Christ,

SJ

• gumby
    gumby

Shelby......thanks......and I MEAN that!

Hugs......Gumby

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

good to see you back shelby! thanks for your post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit