"You owe Jehovah humility and HONESTY" - an email from a JW

by Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Hey forum goers. I'd like your opinions on constructing an email reply to this shocker below.

Bit of background about the sender: She is a middle-aged, cheery uberdub whose siblings left when a schism occured in her congregation in Canada way back when. The controversy was kicked off by one of the local elders over there who went by the name, Brother James Penton. Unable to see the light for herself, this sister knuckled down and dug her heels in the organization, saying goodbye to her brother and sister who woke up and left. She is therefore extra vehemently against apostasy. This sh*t is personal to her.

She doesn't know much about my fade as I only see her once every three or four months. One day last month, she swung by en route to her cleaning job at a local business I live nearby. She asked me about my cong and I casually replied that I've been taking a break from things, gathering my thoughts.

I spoke about the Bible (I still feign a belief in God and chalk up my absence at the meetings to my deep study of the scriptures unassisted by WT exegesis). I happily showed her my Manual Grammar of the New Testament by Julius Mantey (the same addition Fred Franz had appealed to when constructing the Kingdom Interlinear!) and spoke of my passion for getting as close as possible to understanding the original text of the epistles.

We touched on the blood doctrine. I gently expressed some of my concerns I now have as a mother. She told me very seriously why blood transfusions are heinous - even if the organization were to permit them. This sister is very much into homeopathy, natural pathology and some other New Age bullsh*t. I listened respectfully and told her I'd love to read up more on where she was getting her information. She promised to send me some of the research she'd done in favor of her WT confirmation bias.

She did email me some Youtube links to Governmental videos speaking about the dangers of transfusions (yes - there are some videos like that which exist). I thanked her and promised to read/watch all that she sent me. And I did!

So that was that.

And then this morning, I received this email in my inbox after a few weeks of silence...

Hey [WHAM!]

I came across this article and it reminded me of when we spoke and I warned you to be careful that your "questioning" doesn't get out of control and turn to actual sinning against Holy Spirit?

Don't read this with the view to picking it apart, but rather with a humble heart asking Jehovah to guide you. Ok?

I love you and [WHAM! Jr.] and want what is best for your long term future. This world has nothing to offer you but to use you and then spit you out as it already has and you came near to death!

You owe Jehovah humility and honesty. He doesn't favour the intellectual ones who are proud and showy with their academic knowledge.

He sees your loving heart [WHAM!] and has tried to help you on numerous occasions. Now it's time to walk the walk, no more talk. Get to work in proclaiming the kingdom blessings to the lost souls in this dying world. You will be so much happier! (Ignore the occasional hypocrite and just put your nose to the ground pleasing Jehovah).

Lots and lots of love!!

[Sister Blind Faith]

Sin Making Reinstatement Impossible — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1952162#h=9

Now, I'm just wondering... do I even bother with this, you guys? She is clearly wearing some heavy cult blinders, making waking up impossible. I just don't know how to go about this. On the one hand, a part of me just wants to respond with: "Oh, WOW. Thank you so much for sending that amazing article! It all makes so much sense now. Whew, glad to be back in step with everyone."

From what's left of her brain, she'll detect the insincere tone because that's not how I usually write to her. But how could she really argue with that?

The other part of me wants to sit down and address this arrogance head-on. I'm calling on you for any input and suggestions of where to go from here.

@Vanderhoven - you're still a Christian, from memory. If you're around, do you mind putting together some Biblical zingers that will shut this down? That would be amazing.

Any believers and atheists alike who can still appeal to scriptural reason to help me nip this in the bud, please chime in. Usually, I'd be okay with compiling something myself. It's just, my son is going into an operation in the next several hours and I'm a bit stressed :(

I appreciate any advice - even if you tell me to just drag and delete her email and carry on in the real world.

Thanks in advance,

WHAM!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

That's a tough one JoHo.

I think this would be my initial response....

Image result for email in bin

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

I would not give her any more of my time. Delete the email. Forget the email and move on with your life. As you say, she has some serious blinders on and you have your family to take care of. Let it go.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

The stupidity is strong with this one. The only way people like that wake up is if they are directly affected by an event. I think no response is best.

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

I think the email may have been inspired by this weeks CLAM regarding sinning against the holy spirit for which there is no ransom b.s. The jay dub reply would be " thank you for the email I will prayerfully consider it" Then forget it ever happened.

just my two bobs worth

jtg

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

1 Thess 5:21 comes to mind. However, the NWT has really watered it down with an expected poor translation.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

"Thanks for your kind intentions. I appreciate your comments about the value of humility. It is indeed so vital to humbly keep examining our faith, free from arrogance or pride. To do so with a keen focus on truth and honesty is also so important. I hope you are keeping well. Love...."

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Hey WHAM, if you don't mind, I'll PM you my 14 favourite scriptural/literature questions & answers in the next few minutes - contradictions which I'll gladly present to any (unfamiliar) J.W.'s who couldn't rat on me for pointing out such 'evil slave' dogma.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

This world has nothing to offer you but to use you and then spit you out...

Yh, coz the WT society has never done that to people has it?

He doesn't favour the intellectual ones who are proud and showy with their academic knowledge.

No, he's much happier looking for stupid people who dont question things.

BUT... if you really want to reply i'd stick to the thing she holds dear. The bible. (Ok, we all know it's really the WT society, but she thinks it's the bible so lets go with that).

Truth_b_known has beaten me to it, the first scripture that comes to mind is:

1 Thess 5:21 comes to mind. However, the NWT has really watered it down with an expected poor translation.

Make sure of all things;+ hold fast to what is fine. (NWT)

But bring out that almost every other bible says:

but test them all; hold on to what is good, (NIV)

The American Standard Version is on JW.borg, so mention that and quote it:

prove all things; hold fast that which is good (ASV)

Id say something like:

Truth has nothing to fear from a lie or falsehood. Jehovah is the God of truth. And as you yourself said, "you owe Jehovah your humility and honesty". Never would I think myself too proud like the religions of Christendom who claim they have the truth and that everyone else is wrong. Rather, I show humility and keep testing like Jehovah tells us to. The bible is Gods word, and God is honest. Human understanding can be in error, and that's what I'm guarding against. Man-made doctrines over Gods word. I choose to live by Gods word.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@pale.emperor I really like that paragraph response you included. That was excellent, thank you.

I hear you all loud and clear - move along with life. But I definitely am keen to read your own versions of replies. @The Fall Guy, I'll keep an eye out on my inbox, cheers.

Okay, I've got a big couple of days ahead of me for my little boy in hospital. Going to try and get some rest now.

Looking forward to reading more from you in the morning :).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit