Padron Case Settled. What happens to the fine?

by Slidin Fast 45 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Bobby2446
    Bobby2446

Slidin Fast;

You didn’t understand what I said — I said the sum is *relatively* paltry. For an organization that nets probably 3 billion a year, even a yearly fine of 1.5 million is NEGLIGIBLE.

And take a number and get in line dude — since 2002, the “next” lawsuit is always said to be the one to “bring down WT” — it’s always “next time” with you wishful thinkers.

You probably should understand that child abuse accusations will not bring down this organization — apathy will. Apathy is religion’s poison, and since it’s an undeniable fact that most Jws still care, you may as well find another hobby.

• Bobby2446
    Bobby2446

Phoebe

You want a plaintiff to see it through? You need a plaintiff that isn’t out to get paid. The fact is that its ONLY about the money. Lawyers only want money. This is the real world. People have bills.

So far, plaintiffs are content with quietly taking their money and disappearing.

Zalkin is NOT about holding anyone accountable. His goal is to make as much money for himself and his firm as humanly possible. That’s why only sues organizations that have MONEY!

Conti said “I will NEVER $ettle”. We see how much that was worth.

Change to motivation, and you will change the outcomes.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The attorneys wouldn't take the case unless they were going to make money from it. That's what they do. From a business standpoint, they would recommend to their client to take the money (after pressing for the highest amount they could) and close the case.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    You didn’t understand what I said — I said the sum is *relatively* paltry. For an organization that nets probably 3 billion a year, even a yearly fine of 1.5 million is NEGLIGIBLE.

Yes Bobby, I did misunderstand you. I do agree, individual losses won't bring down the WT. I think though that if the real dirty washing in the form of the hidden records were ever revealed, the damage could be pretty substantial. We are already at the stage where there are few genuine converts at least in developed countries. Yes I am a wishful thinker, I think most here are.

• Bobby2446
    Bobby2446

Lol since when did the organization care where “converts” come from anyway? YOU all make a big deal out of it. Growth is growth, no matter how little, or where it comes from. If the US never had another convert, they would not care. In fact, out of 8.3 million members, only 1.2 of them are in the US.

Like I said, its always next time, next victim, next lawsuit. Almost 20 years of that in the US, and you are no more closer to collapsing WT than you were then.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

Bobby2446

One of my kids is a lawyer. I know all about lawyers.

If it was me, and trust me I am poor and the money would mean so much to me, I would never settle. I want this organisation exposed as much as possible.

But I take your point it is all about the money.

• Bobby2446
    Bobby2446

Phoebe,

Dont get me wrong, what I am really criticizing is these lawyers who don’t care about putting a victim through a traumatic case. They milk them and call it a day. They get rich. The victim is left retraumatized and drained mentally and emotionally. The lawyer then goes to see his realtor.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Bobby: " it’s an undeniable fact that most Jws still care, you may as well find another hobby. "

You are right. However, you are missing the part about aging and dying, and not finding enough replacements. The new generation of JW's don't fall for bullshit as easily as the older generations of JW's, which are slowly but surely moving to the next stage in the cycle of life, nourishing the soil.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Wow, I agree with Bobby. Rumors of Watchtower's demise have been exaggerated. They still grow, and they rake in money. Unless they make catastrophic financial decisions they're going to never feel the pain of lawsuits. Still, at least these people that sue walk away with something. Most of us walk away with nothing from them.

Still, these people got something out of it and people are leaving, especially in developed countries. Activism helps people. Just not at a rate yet that reverses growth trends. I don't think JWs will ever cease to exist, but I think we can help many leave. I hate how these cases go silent though.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Bobby "nets probably 3 billion a year"

How do you arrive at that number, which I find it possible only as net income, and before you account for the usually large percentage of expenses.

Ultimately you are wrong regarding your assessment of the org. not being in trouble. People are leaving slowly, some are slowing down because their faith is also diminishing, and many more only stay because they are heavily dependent on the social club. I see it in my JW relatives. They no longer are the zealous JW's once were. Trust me on that, that zealous generation is almost gone, in some cases literally.

20 years a go the Watchtower was creating new congregations and buying properties and building, today they are consolidating congregations and selling property. If that's not a sign of tough times, I don't know what is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit