Padron Case Settled. What happens to the fine?

by Slidin Fast 45 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Sanchy
    Sanchy
    Bobby, are you the one that runs the "Opposers Dismythed" blog as well as the "JWs Understood" Facebook group?
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

How are “digitally loaded meetings” (whatever that means) taking their toll when they are barely two years old?

Really? The constant diet of stilted silhouette demos and clips full of propaganda are literally brain numbing. It has been a long two years. I am contantly either bored senseless or infuriated.

The response the GB has gotten is overwhelmingly supportive of the JWB monthly programs (which are digital and the reason why they green-lit its translation into more languages).

I seriously believe you are talking out of your arse.

Of course the GB claim support. Pray tell me where I would go for an objective assessment of how this stuff is being received? As to "talking out of my arse" the only comments expressed, tolerated or printed are carefully sifted, edited and happified. So my arse maybe the one to listen to.

I don't know why I am feeding the troll but sometimes it's hard not to respond.

• AbusedandPissed
    AbusedandPissed

There are also other factors to take into account. There could be other appeals cases in California that may limit information or make it a weaker case for the plaintiff or the defendant. There was recently a case in California where the appeals court limited a database information to similar cases, so that could also have affected this case. No one really knows.

• Bobby2446
    Bobby2446

Sanchey,

No, I don’t run ANY webpage. My display name is merely a pseudonym, if that’s what you are trying to connect.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

No, I don’t run ANY webpage. My display name is merely a pseudonym, if that’s what you are trying to connect.

Oh ok, there is an individual affiliated with mentioned blog who happens to be named Bob as well. He also is a frequent poster on the JWTalk forums regarding the subject of this thread.

• maksutov
    maksutov

Refusing to settle when offered a decent sum would be a huge risk. All of these child sex abuse cases so far have settled, because settling is the sensible thing to do, if the offer is sufficient. If Watchtower offers you millions, and you refuse to settle, what happens?

Best case scenario is that Watchtower is found guilty and you receive an even larger amount in damages. But in the end, all that happens is that Watchtower pays out. The GB don't go to jail. It is a civil case, not a criminal one. There is bad publicity for them either way, so forcing them to finish the trial does not achieve a great deal more than settling would. Granted, there would be no gag order, but it is difficult to know how much difference that would make.

Quite likely though, if you have a strong case, you win, and receive a lesser amount than you would have if you'd settled - is it worth the trauma? If your case is not watertight, and Watchtower somehow get off on a technicality, you have to foot the bill and are left completely and utterly destitute. For most people, it is simply not worth the risk. If sufficient people sue, and settle, it will bleed them dry, and the victims get their due compensation.

• AbusedandPissed
    AbusedandPissed

Also if a defendant offers a reasonable settlement and you refuse and you lose the case either at trial or through summary judgement or if the winning amount is less than the settlement offer, not only is the defendant off the hook but also you may be required to pay for legal fees of the defendant.

• Bobby2446
    Bobby2446

Sure I am all for someone settling if they want.

But the GB simply cannot go to jail because they cannot be charged with a crime someone else committed.

Thats like saying your boss can be thrown in jail because one of his employees robs a bank. It’s quite a silly thing to even entertain.

Unless the GB specifically tells elders “do not report even when mandated by law” then nothing criminally can happen to them.

• maksutov
    maksutov

Some would say that covering up child abuse should be a crime. But it isn't.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

But the GB simply cannot go to jail because they cannot be charged with a crime someone else committed.

Thats like saying your boss can be thrown in jail because one of his employees robs a bank. It’s quite a silly thing to even entertain.

Did you read the comments right before yours?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit