Is the WTS slowly turning into a mainstream religion?

by obiwan 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Special K
    Special K

I'm just wondering if they did come more mainstream by backing up on the holiday celebrating like

the biggy of Christmas

Easter, Birthdays etc.

Don't you think that would be a way to revamp their numbers,

special k

• metatron
    metatron

My point about the Catholic Church is the yawning chasm that exists between a hierarchy that still forbids birth control

and supports celibacy - while their flock shows up for a few minutes on Sunday in jeans and windbreakers. After a while,

it just looks silly.

As to martyrs and other saints, that's where the Catholics have an advantage - they can have saints like Francis of Assisi

and others - while Watchtower-Land is nothing but robots, reptilian Theocrats, and intinerant Company Men.

I admire Father Arkady ( St.Vladimirs' Press) also.

metatron

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

It doesn't appear to me that this article or the sentence in question is talking about anything other than pinatas.

"The practise" is referring to pinatas and not giving carte blanche to "the practise" of other activities with pagan origins.

So it seems to me....

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I've gotten the impression over the years that there are 2 writing depts at Bethyl, and they do not communicate very well with each other. It would be interesting to see if the left-wing dept, issues a clarification on the matter via a Questions from Readers.

My thoughts, exactly.

Also: What Amazing said!

• obiwan
    obiwan

Here is a history of the Pinata.

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/travel/wdevlin/wdpinatahistory.html

What I'm trying to point out, is that the sentence implies that the practice now is what is relative, not what it represented in the past. The Pinata refered to Lent, a Catholic holiday. Surely the wt knows this.

So if they make a statement like this for the Pinata, then what about other holiday's, practices and beliefs? This is why it got my attention. With the Pinata and what it represents, this statement has further implications. This can be used in any discussion with a jw.

• freein89
    freein89

Ok, Obiwan, I will say for the sake of argument that the info on the website is accurate. But until I can have my sister back AND until my nephew get his mother back, I still must say that they are not making any progress toward mainstream religion. Neither to I believe that they ever will. If the WT began back peddling on the issue of shunning, many JW's would enjoy their families again, but how angry would they be about lost years? What about those who lost a loved one in death and then found out when it was too late that there was new light and they could have been having a family all along. I cannot imagine the backlash it would cause. Nope, can't see it.

Deb

• obiwan
    obiwan

But until I can have my sister back AND until my nephew get his mother back

Hey, I hear ya. I haven't talked to my father but once in 13 years. I just think that if you went back only 15 years, you would not have even found that sentence anywhere in a wt publication.

• freein89
    freein89

You are right about that Obiwan, it really does surprise me to hear the WT blowing off the history of ANYTHING. But with the internet and the damage it is causing they have bigger fish to fry. But now that I think about it, the internet isn't really what is damaging them, it is their own stupidity. Speaking of history, I used to be curious about the expression, "hoisted by his own pitard", are you familiar with that phrase? It is used when one has caused problems through his or her own actions. I looked it up once and found that a pitard was a piece of rigging on a ship. It was invented by a man with the last name of Pitard, and named after him. He was later found to have commited some act not allowed and was subsequently "hoisted by his own pitard" yup, they hung the poor schmuck with his own invention.

Anyoldhow, the internet is not hurting them, they are hoisting themselves . . . well you get it. Hey-sorry about you and your Dad, we can put that stuff out of our minds and continue on, but it still hurts.

Deb

• Loris
    Loris

While I do not think that this is a major breakthrough to mainstream statis I do think it is a big deal in the day to day fitting into normal life for dubs. Just think they can have wind chimes, ying-yang medalions on a necklace and Fluer-de-lea decorations in the bathroom. It may be like the movement of a glacier but at least it is movement.

Loris

• Francois
    Francois

NEVER. Not ever so long as it retains either its elitism nor its shunning policy will it ever amount to a pimple on a private's ass. And that's going some.

francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit