Is the WTS slowly turning into a mainstream religion?

by obiwan 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Yayy!!!!

I got a double post - my first one!

After everyone else raving about them, I feel less of a dp-virgin!!!

• obiwan
    obiwan

LT, I agree they don't have much time left.

BUT:

Think about this. When Rutheford (did I spell that right) was alive and the wts slowly "changed hands" there was a change in thinking and policy with dates and certain other issue's. Wouldn't it make sense that the same will/is happening? The wts knows it doesn't have much time left, surely they realize policies need to change in order for them to stay around. The wts wants to keep the power over the people for as long as possible. By not changing policy, they will certainly start to lose members at a significant rate.

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

No. The WT will never turn into a mainstream religion as long as it must keep up the tension between itself and "the world." That quote in the September 22 Awake (page 24) does not reflect new thinking. Rather, it reflects doublespeak. The Society has for long said that we should not make much of conscience matters, even while it continues to dictate and restrict everything that Witnesses must do.

The latest cultish mind control can be found in the new dictum that we must be "ministers" 24-7, that is, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We must be prepared to give a witness at all times and should never relax our guard or our grooming. No more casual clothes, even at home. I suppose one cannot even wear a swimsuit at the beach, since exposing too much flesh renders us unfit to witness.

No relaxation, you slackers! No vacations, no fun! Preach, preach, PREACH!!!

• mizpah
    mizpah

The last two sentences by James Penton in his book Apocalypse Delayed is interesting: "The future for Jehovah's Witnesses as they now exist - despite continued growth - does not seem bright. In the long run they will have to change and moderate to survive, and that will probably mean that they will have to settle down to becoming just another denomination among denominations."

One does not have to become "mainstream" to be more acceptable to the public. Just as the Mormon church and Seventh-day Adventist church has moderated its more radical early elements, the Watchtower can make similar adjustments for a greater appeal. There seems to be some indication that this process is already occuring. But it also could go "the other way" and revive its date-setting tendencies and lose its credibility entirely.

• JCanon
    JCanon

It doesn't matter what they are "turning into"...apparently they have turned away from truth and for that will be thrown into the lake of fire as the "false prophet" (Revelation) right along with Christendom. In Revelation, coming out of the earth (meaning connected with pure worship) is the Lamb-Dragon beast representing the WTS leadership which has turned apostate, looking like a lamb but speaking like a dragon. The 666-Beast counterpart is Christendom, the 666 representing their focus on the false trinity doctrine. This bease comes out of the sea, meaning out of all the confused and Biblically weak Biblical doctrines of Christendom.

Further, both are destroyed "while still alive". We can thus only speculate that some national mandate will occur that will dismantle all public religion, or at least as we know it now. That or this is reference they will be up and running when Armageddon strikes..... (check Revelation).

JCanon

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think the article shows the liberal vs. conservative divisions that exist at Bethel.

Jaracz can't veto every article that comes down the pike.

• Brummie
    Brummie

THAT is an interesting article Obiwan, and one they will use in child custody court cases around the globe to make themselves look mainstream.

As for JWs not becoming mainstream, they wont BUT I figure mainstream religion will begin to recognise JWs as an acceptable religion even if they dont believe in the Trinity. Most mainstream churches seem to be rejecting the faith of their forefathers, so in this sense they will become acceptable to mainstream even if remaining as cultic as they are now.

Brumm

• acsot
    acsot

Just a thought here but doesn't the possibility exist that we are perhaps giving the writer(s) of that article too much credit? We're assuming that they're thinking ahead, subtly changing a hard stance, which may be true, but couldn't it also be true that the thought never even occurred to them? Maybe Br. Whoever just jotted it down 'cause his nephew/niece enjoys hitting pinatas and never figured it meant a shift in doctrinal stance. Maybe Br. Whoever never read about the previous WTS stance on the matter and most others don't care.

I think them dang apostates are more aware of WTS doctrine than many of those in power at Bethel. Couldn't it be that the dear brothers in the writing department are just too stupid to realize what they've done by opening this can of worms???

• freein89
    freein89

Obiwan, and I thought you were my only hope!? Do you think the JW's will actually become mainstream? What about the blood issue, are you saying they have softened their stance? What about the "oral sex fiasco"? Is that okay now, maybe I am a little slow, but I was unaware of any changes in either of those areas. Tell me what I am missing. If anything I think they are getting tougher, particularly when it comes to keeping their people away from us evil apostates. When my witness ex-friends son died recently, I went to the funeral as I posted and none of their friends were there, I felt so bad for them. I wrote a letter, staying carefully away from the subject of religion. They wrote back which shocked me, but what they wrote didn't, it was hard line JW rhetoric, all about their loving god and loving friends and all the support and love they received. Well anything is possible, but none of their "loving friends" attended the funeral of their son. They are still convincing their people of what does not exist.

Deb

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I refuse to "soften my stance" on oral sex!

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit