Is the WTS slowly turning into a mainstream religion?

by obiwan 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• obiwan
    obiwan

I took this off of xjw_b12's thread. (hope you don't mind)

"When considering whether to include a pinata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the consciences of others.(1 Corinthians 10:31-33) A main concern is not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues. The Bible says: "Let each one keep seeking not his own advantage, but that of the other person"---- 1 Corinthians 10:24.

I saw this sentence and my eye's lit up! Is this the view the wts is slowly taking? Some people posted about christmas and other holidays. I thought that it goes much further than that. This to me has greater implications than a pinata. What about more hardline subjects such as homosexuality, sex before marriage, smoking, gambling? I could go on with the list of subjects.

This sentence is more revealing than it appears. The wts know's that if it doesn't weaken it's hardline approach, the wts will have a bleak future ahead.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

i think sokinda

• freein89
    freein89

Well, well, well, if they are going for mainstream they have a long way to go. They not only have to get the rafter out of their eye, they have to get the pole out of their butt. And I do agree, that is a very telling sentence and to tell you the truth, I can't believe they said it, but there it is in writing. Now they really must get some new light, because that sentence could be used for many things. But never fear, new light will fix it all up.

Deb

• obiwan
    obiwan

Well, well, well, if they are going for mainstream they have a long way to go.

You do realize, they have to do it over a loooong period of time. Look at the blood issue, the view on that changed only a couple of years ago. . It's kinda painful to pull a pole out of your butt, you gotta do it slowly.

• little witch
    little witch

Personally, I think they are going to release some of their strangle holds. Meaning, not riding people so hard about the "small stuff", in order to slow the mass exodus.

However, I don't see them ever being "mainstream". Their main doctrine excludes Jesus as God,

so that alone sets them out of the mainstream, and will keep them from becoming so.

• metatron
    metatron

It's hard to see thru the cloud of pretense - but their progress is glacial.

They're likely to imitate the Catholic Church - which tries to maintain impossible standards while its flock

do as they please.

metatron

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

However, I don't see them ever being "mainstream". Their main doctrine excludes Jesus as God,

Strange -- that is the one thing that will keep me as a witness

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Obiwan: Actually that quote is from this September's Awake, which makes it all the more glaring when you compare it with the first Awake article in 1971.

It will be interesting to see what transpires over the next year or so, and whether they have to clarify the issue.

If you remember the fiasco over the oral sex issue, I wouldn't be surprised.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Is the WTS slowly turning into a mainstream religion?
    No! Not whilst ever they maintain the shunning practices.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Still:

Strange -- that is the one thing that will keep me as a witness

Then you need to talk to RR. The bible students still exist and hold that belief. Obiwan:
    My eye's lit up at that, too. Far too little, far too late. I can't ever see them releasing their stranglehold on lives. They are so far from mainstream that a change per year would take decades, and the old boys haven't got that much time left to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit