Are You Surpised By What You Don't Believe In Anymore?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Lutece
    Lutece

I don't believe that demons will try to attack me in my sleep.

I don't believe in armageddon and am able to reflect on the possibility of life after death (heaven, reincarnation, what have you)

I can smoke a cigar just for the hell of it.

I don't believe it's wrong to celebrate halloween anymore, in fact, I can't wait to dress up and beg for candy.

it's been a very freeing experience and there are so many things I could list, but the freedom to think for myself and not feel guilty about it is the best.

Anne

• Special K
    Special K

I agree with LUTECE..

I now have a freedom that I never had as a J.W.

The freedom to think for myself and not feel guilty about it anymore. But that certainly took a long time to do. I don't think the general rule of thumb is to have J.W.'s think for themselves. Of course it's NOT!!!

After 10 years I found my belief about blood transfusions the hardest to let go of.

I have never been in a position to require a blood transfusion, but if my life was now on the line I feel I would have one. I think having children has something to do with my thoughts on this one.

Being raised in J.W.'s sews a web throughout ones soul. I don't think you drop everything at once. I think it is a gradual unweaving of these ingrained belief. Time for me was needed until my head caught up to what my heart felt. Once they were in sync, then the webs gradually let go.

I started celebrating Christmas, but I have always had a hard time with it. I love it for my children but have readjusted my beliefs around Christmas itself to help fit my reasons for celebrating.

It might have something to do with not feeling that I deserve to receive gifts. As a J.W. I never received gifts so it feels strange and foreign to feel that someone would give me something just to be nice. I guess I'm just a weird kind of duck.

When I do get gifts I feel so darn uncomfortable. Loss for words, undeserving.. just a whole bunch of emotions.

sincerely

Special K

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

I am more surprised at what I've seen xjws say and believe in on other boards and lists! Same mantra, different dogma. Same judgemental, if it was a good thing, God did it, & if it was a bad thing, satan was at the root nonsense! And often still pushing on on everyone else just like jws. Shaming people into the politically correct opinion of an issue. All you need is a few on one list & they push and push. While I'm very happy they found a crutch of some kind, the only crutch I've found is myself! And sometimes my family. If I have a problem or need, I don't have time to sit around praying, I need to set goals & figure out how to achieve them! If it brings them some kind of peace & happiness, cool. But why do some continue to act like a jw with different doctrines? Why not learn from the watchtower experience & grow!

• ninecharger
    ninecharger

I don't believe that consulting oriental oracles is a sin.

Neither should you - see above RE: I CHING. This experiment could prove something really worthwhile and give us something to discuss for MONTHS!!

• minimus
    minimus

How many here believe in the Bible's view of morality, now?

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

I no longer believe God can be boxed (I didn’t realize this is what I actually did believe as a JW, while I was busy being one).

I no longer believe that if someone has a different spiritual belief system than mine, that he is automatically wrong. (With the exception of the JW that is. Smile.) Who’s to say what is the "right" belief system?

I’m no longer under the stupid and cruel belief that God is waiting to "pounce" on me when I make a mistake.

I am no longer under the delusion that I must belong to a particular "group" to know and experience God.

I no longer believe that any group (or individual for that matter) has total truth. Although the Watchtower Society placates it’s followers with the false admission of its own fallibility, we all know the WTBS demands that it’s followers believe it has total truth.

• minimus
    minimus

The WBTS has its cake and is eating it too.

• Xena
    Xena

lol I am CONSTANTLY surprised at what I don't believe anymore.......

I don't believe there is one true religion anymore

I don't believe cheating is the ultimate sin anymore

I don't believe I know it all on ANY subject anymore

I don't believe I am a bad person anymore

I don't believe I am better than someone just because they believe differently from me anymore

I don't believe God (if there is a God) cares who I sleep with, what movie I watch, how low cut my top is or if I tell a white lie every now and then to spare someones feelings anymore

I don't believe it is wrong to sleep in Sat & Sunday mornings anymore

lol I could go on and on..but I don't believe I need to

• micheal
    micheal

Hey Xena, I love the point you made about sleeping in on Sat and Sun mornings. I remember if I ever did this I knew there would be 3 phone calls later that day wondering where I was. Now, oh the peace and tranquility of sleeping in on these days if I want to without feeling any anxiety of what will happen next. So good to be free!!!!

• NAPPY ROOTS
    NAPPY ROOTS

I don't believe that masturbation is bad for you.

I don't believe that Earth, Wind & Fire or Prince are demonized.

I don't believe that gay people are bad.

I don't belive that going to college and having a career that pays well is wrong.

I do believe in making up for all my lost years as a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit