Hilarious 10-Commandments criticism from Slate

by Phantom Stranger 47 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

I do remember a scripture that jesus said about the pharisees to do as they say but not as they do . They were hypocrites . I think alot of modern day scholars think that jesus may have been an essene that was considered an outcast group . I can't see where jesus violated the mossaic law tho. The apostles referred to him as the embodiment of the commandments . The pharisees tried their best to convict jesus on various accounts of blaspheme , the curing sick on the sabbath , the eating on the sabbath they really had nothing on him on any of the accusations so they wound up railroading him on a false charge .

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Sorry, Phantom....yes, Slate's version IS funny....I was just experiencing a kneejerk xdub reaction to the actual content of the commandments in the bible....

Frannie B

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

SS,

REALLY looking forward to seeing where it is you think Jesus violated the 613 Commandments...at any rate...on to your more interesting comment.

Jesus didn't "void" the law, he fulfilled it. He taught that the entire spirit of the law was captured in Loving God with our whole being...and loving our neighbor as ourself. If we just fulfilled these two Commandments (found in Dueteronomy and Leviticus) the whole of the law (it's spirit) is fulfilled...and the world would be a better place.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

You are right Yeru. But Christians do not have dibs on the 'golden rule' and love. The Ten Commandments have no place in a government building unless it is a display celebrating all religions.

Paul said everything is lawful but not all things are advantageous---the Wiccan Rede states ' If harm ye none, Do what thou will' ---see what I mean?

If Judaism-cum-Christianity is represented then so should Buddhism, Islam, Taoism, Hinduism, Wicca, and most especially something representative of Native American teachings--after all they were here first!

See how it could get out of hand? So maybe no religion should be represented except in their churches?

These fundies in AL are taking it way too far...and THAT is exactly why other religions protest it! These people are worshipping this statue like an altar! And these same people burned out my Catholic Church and smashed their little statue of St. Joseph(on CHURCH property, not a public government building) for the EXACT SAME REASON! Hypocrites! Ignorant, arrogant, hypocrites.

Give em an inch and they take a mile. Some people can't handle the freedom you are fighting for Yeru.

Ravyn

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Ravenous looking Ravyn (that's suppossed to be a compliment)

You said,

If Judaism-cum-Christianity is represented then so should Buddhism, Islam, Taoism, Hinduism, Wicca, and most especially something representative of Native American teachings--after all they were here first!

I don't entirely buy this...our laws were founded on Judeo-Christian philosophy, not buddhist, Taoist, etc.

Still have mixed feeling on the judge and what he's done.

A strict reading of the constitution in no way prohibits the display of the 10 Coms in a government building though.

SS...which laws did Jesus violate?

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I thot our laws were based on Roman Democracy, Dane's Law and the Magna Carta....

I believe it was already discussed that the Ten Commandments have little to do with any laws we have in this country---two or three...do not steal and do not murder---what is so unique to the Judeo-Christian philosophy about those? Every civilization has supported that philosophy. And the Founding Fathers founded this country on no religion, even if they had specific religions as individuals. That was the whole point--religious freedom. You don't need religion to have morals. And you don't need laws to have morals.

The mix up I think is with the Jewish religion being a religion based on laws. Just because they combined 'church and state' so to speak does not mean everyone else has to. It does not have to be combined in order to promote peace and morals. In fact doesn't history teach us just the opposite? Every war that has ever been is a result of religion and politics falling out with each other. come to think of it--combining the judicial branch with the executive branch was not the Jewish god's idea either--he tried to talk them out of it and was disappointed they wanted a King!

Ravyn

• Ravyn
    Ravyn
    If we just fulfilled these two Commandments (found in Dueteronomy and Leviticus) the whole of the law (it's spirit) is fulfilled...and the world would be a better place. -Yeru

ok so why then don't they put that scripture on a statue instead of the Ten Commandments? Could it be because the particular rabid sect of xtianity they represent still believe in the literal interpretation of those archaic rules? Aren't they nailing Jesus to the Cross over again everytime they back track like that? Esteeming his blood as of ordinary value by not giving it the achnowledgement of fulfilling that old law and instituting a new one that surpasses it?

And are these paritcular groups of xtians the only people on this planet who believe in the principle of love? I think not. If they are supposed to be the best examples of it--we are doomed.

This country was built on the broken backs of Irish and Italian Catholics and Chinese Buddhists. These religions deserve atleast equality with fundys.

Ravyn

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Ravyn,

ok so why then don't they put that scripture on a statue instead of the Ten Commandments

why? Because then it would be even more overtly christian. Those two verses I mentioned are found together only in the Christian Scriptures.

I'll also add that if there are phrases that most agree are sound sentiment from either the Koran, or the Bagavad Gita or what have you...I wouldn't be oppossed to those being in a public building either.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

It is not you Yeru, or christians like you---it is the fundys that I personally am so opposed to.

let me tell you a story about a 'friend' of mine in TN near the AL border...

he is a church of christer(that is what he calls himself--it is not a slur) but right now he is angry at god and so he 'aint living right'. which is exactly why he tells my husband and myself that he is friends with us---since we are catholic and 'goin to hell' he figures he will have some company.

this is exactly what he said. he also would not attend our wedding(for our 5th anniversary we had our church wedding last year since we had not been married in the church)becoz we are catholic and he cant go into a catholic church with all our 'abominations(idols)'. he was going to be the best man.

so, IF this controversy might have been in CA or NJ, I MIGHT have been on the other side of it--however since it happened in AL I know darn right well who what where and why is going on---and it has little to do with christianity and much to do with fundyism and southern 'pride'.

and I am not ashamed to say that I HATE fundyism and fundys who would rather see me burning in Hell than to attend my wedding. friggin Jerry Springer rejects.

Ravyn

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Ravyn,

OK, I see your point with Dorks like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit