Hilarious 10-Commandments criticism from Slate

by Phantom Stranger 47 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I'll also add that if there are phrases that most agree are sound sentiment from either the Koran, or the Bagavad Gita or what have you...I wouldn't be oppossed to those being in a public building either.

But would you not be offended if, in a government building there was a monument exhorting you to worship only Allah or Vishnu under pain of death?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Nowhere on the 10 Commandments does it mention "the pain of death"

I think most people admit the 10 C's are good...find what's good in other religions...post them...I'm ok with that.

• Descender
    Descender

As far as Jesus breaking one of the commandments, if I remember correctly, he did heal a sick person on the sabbath, therefore breaking that commandment. And the pharasees were in an uproar about that and he said if you were a shepard and one of your sheep got loose on the sabbath wouldn't you go and find it.

I don't have a bible at work or anything and it's been years since I've done any heavy reading in it, but I do remember that.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

"Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy"

Work was indeed forbidden...what Jesus violated was a man-made restriction, not the Sabbath.

The Talmud, at that time not written, but passed on orally, divided classes of labor that were forbidden.

On the one hand, a man could violate the restriction against work to rescue an animal that was in trouble..or even to care for his animals by feeding and watering them...on the otherhand, the Pharisees accused Jesus of violating the sabbath because he "made mud" to put on the man's eyes. This violated Talmudic understanding...but not Torah.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Nowhere on the 10 Commandments does it mention "the pain of death"

You're right. It merely mentions "a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations to those who hate me". My apologies.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

WHich is kinda cancelled out by visiting favor for a thousand generations on those who love him...Have we seen a thousand generations yet?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    WHich is kinda cancelled out by visiting favor for a thousand generations on those who love him...

So unfairly treating one group of people is OK as long as you over-compensate with another group?

Have we seen a thousand generations yet?

No, maybe 150 since the 10 commandments were written.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    WHich is kinda cancelled out by visiting favor for a thousand generations on those who love him...

So unfairly treating one group of people is OK as long as you over-compensate with another group?

The point of the statement was that His love covers even those who offend him because someone in that 1000 generations must have loved God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit