Prayers in Restaurants....

by caspian 58 Replies latest jw friends

• caspian
    caspian

Thanks Andi.

I am sure that when you pray it is genuine. (nuff respect)

However on this occasion I am sure that this brother was trying to prove a point with me, and I was very embarassed.

Cas

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Six,

You said,

That's a great start Yeru. Now shut the hell up with the namby pamby thanks crap, God sees it as a lack of appreciation for the reality of the food situation. If you keep it up, he's going to kill you, and I don't want that to happen.

My response???

The reality of the food situation is this planet can easily support 9 to 10 billion souls food wise. People starve because of greed, power lust, etc. God's pretty happy that I recognize that the food I eat is a gift from him. I'll keep praying.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

The native americans used to make a quick motion before they ate, raising a spoonful towards the sky in recognition of the Unseen Provider.

I don't make the motion, but I take a moment to reflect on my position - one interuption of the food supply, one plague, one massive natural disaster, and I'm back to hunting for my food and scared that something is going to kill my family while I'm gone. Yep, I think we are all more dependent on the mercy of God than some of us are willing to admit.

Keep praying, Yeru - I pray in my own way as well.

Maybe the only reason ANY of us get to eat is that God keeps our society together so that we can - out of undeserved kindness. Left to our own devices, I bet we'd have all starved by now.

CZAR

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Casbian said:

"Just as our first course comes Yes you have guessed our kindly older brother just stands up and says a prayer quite loudly, everything goes quiet, even the waiters stop serving until he finishes."

How full of PRIDE people must be! Nothing wrong with prayer. For anyone to openly address everyone in a public restaurant and loudly say a prayer in which much attention is drawn, this person has received his reward "in full" at that time. It would be and is obvious that the intentions are/were to impress those people in the immediate area and NOT to show dignified, personal respect in giving thanks to GOD. In a sense, this person has stolen from GOD.

Mr. KIM

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Joanna,

:crappy hotdishes and lime jello with marshmellos in it

To think I moved all way to Minnesota for this, and thought I was most blessed to receive the abundant provision of hotdish and jello at the proper same time. (That and bars too)

Third

Why is it we have 20 different types of pasta in our kitchen cupboards but they are all "noodles"? OK way off topic...

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

When you see a dub or any religous bunch pray in public would it not be cool to have the balls to wait till they finish and then stand and say just as loud with head bowed, oh satan or worldly father please guide us to do you will and serve you and your minions ect ect ect.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Killroy,

that would be kinda cool to see the expresions on everyones' face.....

• observador
    observador
    Wednesday, I never prayed either. 95% of the time it was just for show when I was with others; I knew they never prayed at home (no one to see them).

Matthew 6:1 (NWT)

You, guys, are not following Society's directions on the matter. :)

There is a Society's video titled Young People Ask - How Can I Make Real Friends?, where they show quite clearly that you are supposed to pray in public places. It is a sign of loyaty, maybe?

A show of hypocrisy at its best.

Observador.

• caligirl
    caligirl

Speaking of prayer in restaurants, we were out to dinner last night with family friends who are still active witnesses. THe kids were at another table across the aisle from us. When the kids meals were delivered, their 5 year old bent her head, clasped her hands together and said a silent prayer. The parents, observing this, gushed over the fact that she remembered and related to us how she was the family "prayer police", and the father immediately started snapping his fingers trying to get his older child's attention, I assume to remind him to pray as well ( he was heavily involved in conversation with our oldest and didn't even hear his father, so I guess his food went "unblesssed" ). I did not notice that either parent "remembered" to pray. If they did, it was darn quick, and without causing any lull in the conversation. I just though it a bit ridiculous that they made such a big deal over it.

I always felt that God must think we are all a bunch of crackpots to beleive that we have to stop and pray over every morsel of food to demonstrate that we are grateful for what we are about to eat. I would be up there saying " Shut up already and eat the damn food!" We said the SAME prayer over every meal for my entire childhood, so it seemed really to be nothing more than a ritual to me. I for one do not feel the need to pray every time I eat. But that is just my personal opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit