Prayers in Restaurants....

by caspian 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Gadget
    Gadget

I remember in 1986ish we went on holiday to Majorca, and noticed another family praying at the breakfast table, and reading the daily text. My dad went over to say hello, and it turned out there were about 100 wittnesses at the hotel!!! There was a brother from London who used to organise it twice a year and people from all over the country used to go. I think you used to have to prove how spiritual you were before he let you go with him. He made an arrangement to use one of the function rooms to do a Thursday meeting, and conducted the watchtower on the beach. He knew the island quite well so we all used the local buses to get around. Everywhere we went he got everyone to sit and sing kingdom melodies. I was only 9-10 at the time, but was so embarressed.

Gadget

• caspian
    caspian

kilroy2

lol what a great story

the dubbers took a step back and made a circle and started to pray for me. My mom started to laugh uncontrollably.
    and ol grandad[bill clegg] mouth hit the table. I thought he was going to have a stroke right thair.

they finished praying for me and asked if I would still read a tower.

I told them that I already knew more about their religion than they did. and did not need to read any more propaganda.

they left.

cheers

Cas

• integ
    integ

yes

• caspian
    caspian

C'mon integ

spill the beans and cheer me up

Cas

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Cas, make up one of those "sandwich board" signs and on it, put an enlarged copy of the receipt for the restaurant tab that YOU got stuck with....along with an explanation that this is what occurs when bro & sis so-and-so invite someone out to dinner......then march up and down at meeting times in front of the KH, wearing the "sandwich board" and advertise their scroogie tactics.....

Frannie B

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

At Bethel, prayers are an art form. Before lunch, prayer was given and you would have to endure an exercise in long-winded, Genesis to Revelation, spiritual eloquence. It was an opportunity to demonstrate to everyone there, how incredibily spiritual you were.

One guy would have nothing to do with it. His prayer consisted of, "Thanks for the grub, Amen".

I remember everyone's reaction afterward. Some laughed and some weren't sure if it was time to eat yet. What could they say? You haven't reached your time limit for prayer? I did notice the Chairman talking to him at some length. The kid didn't mind, he was too busy eating. I guess he was real hungry.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    Wednesday, I never prayed either. 95% of the time it was just for show when I was with others; I knew they never prayed at home (no one to see them).

Ok just another one here who never prayed. This always bugged the crap out of me.

I never prayed in resturants. (Thought it was poor taste too) Occasionally after an assembly that pumped them up, my parents would pray silently while out to dinner. I always felt like such a heathen. I would be half way through my salad and look up and think--oops.

ANd I always remember going over to others houses and how we would pray together, or at functions and picnics and everyone would have to pray before we dug into the crappy hotdishes and lime jello with marshmellos in it. My parents would always drive home and comment about how they wished we prayed more at home, and brother and sister so-and-so really made a fine example. (So they felt the same heathen guilt I did, but on a different level.) I sometimes wonder if they think they were bad parents because they didn't pray with me more.

I also remember the times I did pray--usually when only under extreme stress--that I would have to spend the first five minutes of my tearful prayer to Jehovah begging for his forgiveness because I only came to him when I needed help. More guilt! If there was a way to feel guilty while being a Witness--I found it!

Ok well that was totally off-topic, SORRY CASPIAN!! I feel your pain. I have been prayed over-or at rather-by Jw's and other Christians alike. It's a horrible experience. But to have it happen in a resturant? How tacky is that!! *big hugs*

• integ
    integ

Cas,

This will cheer you up. I went out to dinner with a group of the "friends" and my father in law (elder) got up and gave a looooooong ass prayer, going something like...."We thank you Jehovah God our Heavenly Creator, our Grand Instructor, our Superlative Exemplar, etc, etc,". He also made a point of mentioning his gratefulness to the FDS etc, and people around were looking at us all like we were a bunch of religious freaks, which I am not, but I could understand the other patrons' bewilderment. I feel your pain.

Integ.

• caspian
    caspian

integ.

We thank you Jehovah God our Heavenly Creator, our Grand Instructor, our Superlative Exemplar

lol.

caleb

At Bethel, prayers are an art form. Before lunch, prayer was given and you would have to endure an exercise in long-winded, Genesis to Revelation, spiritual eloquence. It was an opportunity to demonstrate to everyone there, how incredibily spiritual you were.

Embarrasingly that was me 18 months ago.Cas

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Praying today versus praying as a JW is very different, at least for me. Praying today is more of a conversation with God, where I share my heart. Sometimes it's full of thankfulness and others times it's me ranting over something I can't grasp or angry at. Sometimes it's me just talking. Either way, I feel privileged to have the right to pray where ever I might be. Eyes closed, eyes opened, out loud, silently - it's a privilege that I enjoy. I find it interesting how there are no boundaries when you talk to your best friend...phone, email, in person. Why have boundaries when you talk to God? Restaurant or not, if you have something on your heart to share, share it. Don't you enjoy it when someone feels comfortable sharing your heart with them? I imagine it makes God feel good when you share your heart with Him.

Just my thoughts...

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit