Waves in Gravity detected, another lucky hit?

by prologos 28 Replies latest social humour

• prologos
    prologos
    gravity waves sound like a special kind of sound, so is this another lucky hit in the otherwise discredited bible? Gen I: 3,6,9,"said" like in acoustics? note the subject area, and be objective.
  • bohm
    bohm
    Only if you do not understand the physics. Light is also a wave.
  • prologos
    prologos
    bohm, yeah, but gravity is older than the light we can see now, it appeared with energy / mass on the move out of the big bang. BSW how do understand gravity, Graviton exchange, warping of spacetime, or a field force?
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Sound pressure waves require a medium like water or a solid.

See the movie tagline: "In space no one can hear you scream."

Gravity waves do not require a medium and can propagate in a total vacuum.

There's also a vast difference in speed of propagation between sound and gravity waves.

So no gravity waves are not like sound waves.

• bohm
    bohm
    prologos: The signal they measured was emitted from a source 1 billion years ago and the universe is about 13 billion years old; the cosmic microwave background is much much older. Classically, gravity is a warping of spacetime, and it is within that theoretical framework this prediction was made and verified. In the absence of a quantum theory of gravity, nobody knows what gravity truly is at this point.
  • sir82
    sir82

In the absence of a quantum theory of gravity, nobody knows what gravity truly is at this point.

What?!?!?!?

You mean gravity is "just a theory"?

People will start flying off into the atmosphere any second now.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I read a sci-fi series in which the protagonists achieved faster-than-light communication though the use of "gravity waves".

I wonder if the author used this preliminary research for the idea.

• prologos
    prologos

lets do some hands on science on Aug 31 next year, at the eclipse to see whether light (or the absence of it) arrives earlier than the gravity max, or waves!

Saintberthold, as a saint you should know, that the "speech of angels" or the head deity is a an infra-sound transmitted through a magical non medium. "Gravity waves do not require a medium and can propagate in a total vacuum". neither does the electro-magnetic radiation. the waves of photons. May be "god" used not photons but gravity phonons? ( this is classed as humour after all)

bohm: The signal they measured was emitted from a source 1 billion years ago and the universe is about 13 billion years old; the cosmic microwave background is much much older. That is why I said, " the light we see now ", implying that no light could escape from the original obscure bb condition, that should have seen a tsunami of gravity expanding, barely keeping pace during the inflationary period.

• prologos
    prologos
    If two massive objects plow through space, generating gravity gradients, the interference pattern could generate standing gravity waves. standing gravitational waves, an offshoot of the moving ones we detected might account for for some mass accumulations , like in Chladni plates.
  • Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom
    I don't understand half of what's been said here, and anyway, I don't like gravity, it gets me down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit