Waves in Gravity detected, another lucky hit?

by prologos 28 Replies latest social humour

• kaik
    kaik

What I remember, the gravity moves in waves were discovered years ago. I remember we had discussed when I did my undergrad on this specific topic that the gravity waves moves with the speed of light. This was ten years ago or so.

gravity is "just a theory"?

There are a lot of unknowns when it comes to gravity and much of the explanations are conducted by a various theory construct.

• prologos
    prologos

Ultimate Axiom: "--I don't like gravity, it gets me down. You can not be a skier, snowboarder or sailplane pilot then, because getting you down also gives you the speed forward. gravity has hidden benefits. Could Einstein have imagined surfing a gravity wave?

I see we are spending Saturday morning profitably . next door is yours?

• bohm
    bohm

kaik:

What I remember, the gravity moves in waves were discovered years ago. I remember we had discussed when I did my undergrad on this specific topic that the gravity waves moves with the speed of light. This was ten years ago or so.

Einstein postulated gravity waves about 100 years ago as a consequence of general relativity, however they were certainly not discovered 10 years ago in the sense of being observed.

• Simon
    Simon
    gravity is "just a theory"?

Yes, that's how science works.

Someone has an idea and comes up with the theory of how some science works.

It's not declared "a truth that must be believed" like religion does. It's a theory that has to stand up to scrutiny, possibly disproved or most likely refined.

But it retains the name 'theory' because we may one day reach a better, more complete understanding.

• prologos
    prologos

Ultimate Axiom:

I don't like gravity, it gets me down. so, does the ultimate letdown, into the grave, the word, come from gravity then, or the other way around? a grave subject.

Simon:

gravity is "just a theory"? gravity as such is not theoretical, what is up for future explanations is how Matter creates gravity, what gravity does to what, space, other matter, and how it works, through gravitons?

• zeb
    zeb
    I saw a bumper sticker. "No such thing as gravity, the earth sucks!"
  • prologos
    prologos
    zeb: "I saw a bumper sticker. "No such thing as gravity, the earth sucks!", ha ha, but not true, the earth is great. so how about anti gravity? : why do helicopters fly? they are lifted by repulsion, they are so ugly that the earth repels them.
  • prologos
    prologos
    Here is a gravity/ memorial question. This Memorial day hosts also an eclipse, in this case the earth will be between moon and the sun. At maximum, will minimum gravity arrive before minimum light? is gravity instant, but light(or the lack of it) travel at 300 k km/sec. ?
  • atomant
    atomant
    There are probably hundreds if not thousands of forces fields dimensions yet to be discovered by man.What man understands now is just the tip of the iceberg .
  • kaik
    kaik
    I remember that one of my class in undergrad, we were discussing the observation of the gravity wave, which suppose to happen for the first time ever. That was around 2006. I know it, because I still have a post on the internet from that year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit