Did you actually read the bible end to end?

by Ultimate Axiom 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Reading the NT, especially the epistles, convinced me that the WT doctrines are bunk

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

Never as a JW. Once waking up and leaving, I read it probably 5+ times cover to cover, not in order, when learning what it really taught vs WT cherry picked scriptures.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Imagine you admired a painting hanging on your friend's wall. He replied that it was a genuine Rembrandt original. Now all you can do is fixate on all its flaws to disprove your dumb friend's lies. That's a pity because previously it had a certain appeal.
    Yes agreed, but what if your friend told you that the creator of the universe actually painted it, and that the painting was flawless? Well then in that case perhaps what actually makes sense is for you to point out the flaws in order to dispel his silly beliefs.

Now if the bible was being positioned as a piece of literary work, then the measure by which we would judge it would be a lot more charitable

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

“Why would a perfect woman who had been clued in about the animals that her perfect husband had named observing their characteristics, talk to a snake?”

Yep, and if the snake was crafty/subtle, then he was created that way, but what had that to do with anything, wasn’t Satan just using it as a puppet? And why was the snake punished, he’s just a dumb animal? In any case, sakes don’t eat dust, so that part of the punishment was never executed.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

“... a very boring process,”

Yes it was, and I didn’t find the Psalms particularly edifying either. Too much of ‘praise the Lord for he is wonderful, holy and righteous’, which I find particularly galling when David wrote this stuff while he was indiscriminately slaughtering thousands in his ethnic cleansing program.

When you read with a JW mindset, and a JW schedule, you typically have no time left to question what you read.

Couldn’t agree more.

To be fair it's not all bad.

True, and the bits that aren’t are the bits that get cherry picked.

I might ask, which Bible are you referring too?

Well, I started with the 66 books of the common bible, which are accepted by all Christians traditions. As I was using the RSV, which is a Catholic edition, I also read the OT Apocryphal books, which are also accepted by all Christian traditions except the protestants. But as I was interested in this ‘holy’ book that JWs, and so many others regard as the inspired and infallible word of God, I didn’t venture into the other OT Apocryphal books, or any of the NT Apocryphal books either. Interestingly enough, there are several passages in the Apocryphal OT that appear to quoted by Jesus, which raises the question, did Jesus regard them as 'holy scripture'?

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

After learning ttatt, I tried to find something that i could believe in. So i did read the bible through just to satisfy my craving for something real.

Amazingly, after I removed the watchtower colored glasses, the bible made complete sense to me!

Yes it is Hebrew Mythology--Inspired by mystic Hebrews, written by Hebrews , about the Hebrews, and for the Hebrews.

just saying!

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

It seems like for decades in the TM School we read the Bible over and over and over.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The bible is a conglomerate of ancient mythological bullshit mixed with a bit of historical facts, it is nevertheless a part human history which cant be denied.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I did at least twice. Leviticus was one hard slog I can tell you.

I also read the Book Of Mormon and the Koran. They were easier to read as there's less there. But the Book Of Mormon was more fairy tales.

• blisterfeet
    blisterfeet

I feel more inspired to read it end to end now then I ever did as a witness. Though I have never done it. I have 9 different visions in my house. I would struggle picking a translation that hasn’t been twisted with an agenda.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit