Did you actually read the bible end to end?

by Ultimate Axiom 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

I didn’t. In my ten years as a witness I never read the whole bible end to end, what with four magazines a month, the book study, meetings and talk preparations, there just wasn’t the time. I knew all the important references to ‘prove’ the various JW doctrines, and the cherry picked chapters that help foster the idea that it’s a good book, but that’s not reading it. Well after nearly forty years out, I decided I would do it. And having done it, I now conclude that it’s the most disgusting book I have ever read. You can see where Islamic State get their inspiration. Those ancient Israelites make IS looked positively moderate by comparison. And as for God, well words fail me to describe his disgusting behaviour. It makes me wonder how anyone who’s read it completely can still believe it to be the word of a loving God.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

If you were to change the names in the storied of My Book of Fairy Tales (The Bible) and make it into a modern screenplay you would be lucky if it were only Rated R, which means Witnesses are not to view it.

Killing children and infants.

Rape.

Incest.

Ultra violence.

It's all there in the Bible.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Most JWS probably haven't and that has been instigated by the WTS itself.

Its their interpretations that are of most importance anyways and you can trust them because they are god's select chosen ones, they proclaim that too.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I didn't see reading that boring thing worth the time. I tried, and I didn't get much past Genesis. And, it is full of lies--if one were to follow this book of stupidity and enslavement, we would be no better off than we were in the Dark Ages when people believed that the earth was the center of the whole universe.

And, how can forced compliance under threat of extinction and genocide lead one to be a sincere Christian? To me, everything we view as "politically incorrect" is in that bible. You want racism? You find it right in the bible--to the extent of having god's "chosen ones" wipe out the other nations. (And cursing the whole black race, right there in plain black and white, as early as the story of Ham in Genesis.) The bible is very homophobic--stoning two adults that choose to have sex with each other? Idolatry, which is observance to the laws of Nature instead of torah or bible, brings death by stoning, too. (And yes, they also curse the white race, much more encoded but just as bad as the blatant curse on the black race.)

And that thing they call jesus? That thing is the archetype of the perfect slave, and to the extent you follow it, you are preparing yourself and the whole world to be enslaved. Putting that rag on the cross actually blasphemes it--the Latin cross actually represents the top three chakras. Energy flows from that, and to the temple chakras (making up the beam), from the universe to your soul and from yourself to the universe. The pineal gland is supposed to be on that cross, not that filthy jesus rag that simply intercepts that energy and sends it to be used to enslave the whole world.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i was forced to have to read it out loud in a family bible study one evening a week with my girlfriend and her fanatical parents. i should have run a mile--instead i married that girlfriend.

the things us dub lads had to do to get our leg over.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

It’s not just the abysmal moral compass of the bible that strikes me, it’s also the vacuous nature of so much of it. For example the Proverbs, supposedly the distilled wisdom of Solomon is so full of trite. “A truthful witness gives honest testimony, but a false witness tells lies.” That is just not worth saying, but Proverbs says it twice (Prov 12:17 & 14:5). And as for, “No harm befalls the righteous, but the wicked have their fill of trouble” (Prov 12:21), well if only that were true.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, I did and it raised many questions in my mind that I researched that made me go, hmmm. Especially, Genesis. The WTS hops around the bible and rarely reads the verses before or after let alone the whole chapter and see the context it is in. That and using snippets of scriptures and citations.

First, question that I remember having:

Why would a perfect woman who had been clued in about the animals that her perfect husband had named observing their characteristics, talk to a snake?

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I didn't. But when my brother in law experienced how the society the protects pedophiles themselves, I started with the book of Daniel & Revelation and compared them to the societies publications - namely the Revelation the grand climax, daniels prophecies.

That is when I realized that the Society knew what they were teaching, wasn't bible based. They weren't "chosen" etc. After that, the gradual realization that both were fictional works of a business.

Now I see that the Society, is just another wannabee messiah.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

... a very boring process,

After all you would not go to a library and pick a shelf of books and read that shelf of books sequentially. Why would you?

And, I doubt that whoever was involved in selecting the various documents that make up the various bible canons ever imagined it being used that way,

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yeah I did read it through, didn't think I could preach to other people about it otherwise. So many weird stories, incest, rape, murdering children and even domestic animals in the land of Canaan. Apparently God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. You can keep the God who permitted all that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit