The Trinity Easily Explained in 29 Words

by maccauk 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

The Jews - declared in the Old testament as God's own chosen people for millennia before Christ was born - never accepted the Trinity. They were - and are - staunchly monotheistic.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

It's weird isn't it. The Catholic Church declares the God is 3 in 1 trinity and then gives the world

the bible

the scientific method

the college/university system

hospitals, foodbanks, orphanages, homeless shelters

and is the biggest charity on the world. It's just weird isn;t it?

No one else gave the world these kinds of fruits before.

Stupid trinatarians.

• cofty
    cofty

Those are extreme claims for the Roman Catholic Church. Just because an early scientist was a Catholic - at a time when there was no other option - doesn't mean the church gets the credit for his work.

You have heard of galileo haven't you? Any charity work the church does is more than wiped out by its medieval dogma on marriage and sexuality.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    redvip - Whoever explained that to you just described every heresy all mashed up together. Like 99% of christians they know absolutely nothing about their central dogma.

I would be hard-pressed to defend the trinity. I'm of course not defending its validity, I'm only offering an explanation vis-a-vis the typical bOrg objections to it, which are usually:

"How can they be the same person, if Geeeesh-us was on earth and the father was in heaven?"

"How can they be of equal importance if Geeesh-us said the father is greater?"

If i believed in the trinity, I would be able to counter those arguments.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

It's weird isn't it. The Catholic Church declares the God is 3 in 1 trinity and then gives the world

the bible

the scientific method

the college/university system

hospitals, foodbanks, orphanages, homeless shelters

and is the biggest charity on the world. It's just weird isn;t it?

No one else gave the world these kinds of fruits before.

Stupid trinatarians.

Have you never heard of William Tyndale? Martin Luther? John Wycliffe? How did the Catholic Church treat these men that tried to put the bible into the hands of everyday people?

Scientific method? Tell that to Richard Dawkins and Bill Nye.

As for hospitals, foodbanks, orphanages, homeless shelters - it's the least they could do for 800 years of burning people alive, torturing people, invading other countries, forcing natives to convert on pain of death (and then death anyway for most of them).

Biggest charity in the world? How much money does the Catholic church have? How many Catholics are still starving in Africa?

Cant beleive we're even having this discussion.

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

Why the need to explain or convince people regarding the concept of the Trinity? Is it that you cannot let go of that Watchtower habit to proselytize others? You know every time you do that, the JWs win.

People here don't need to be convinced of the Trinity or God or religion. It's one thing to defend yourself when someone insults you or tries to hurt you for no reason.

But to go out of your way to tell us, ex-JWs, that you can convincingly explain new doctrine to us in an evangelizing manner--well, that is where most of us haven't much tolerance.

Notice I didn't say we react with malice. I mean intolerance like one gets nauseated at seeing food that once made him or her very ill. They can't stomach it.

If you're an ex-JW who has found mainstream Christianity as something that works for you, most of us (if not all) are supporting you as someone who has successfully left the Watchtower behind. Yea for you!

But we're not your new subjects to proselytize. You can use your knowledge of things like the Trinity to disprove how the Watchtower is ignorant of what it teaches, but it's really far from "Emily Post" to preach and try to convert your fellow ex-Witnesses here on this forum.

Especially do our atheist neighbors on the forum need our support. More than others, they get treated as non-members of society, usually cannot speak up for what they don't believe in while in public, and have little respect from Christians (who oddly preach 'love they neighbor'). So if you're gonna mention religion, best to leave your opinions at the door and stick to academic critical analysis.

While no one's saying you should accept and not call out hate speech if you ever encounter it (which is really rare here), you can talk about religion if it's used to counter Watchtower teaching. But leave making disciples of others here out.

Otherwise you can talk about the Trinity each time you are on the board as long as it's useful in that particular manner. Support each person where there are, help us see where we still got the Watchtower monkey on our backs, and defend us where we stand when some creepy Witness apologist comes on here to attack us. Then you'll do fine.

• cofty
    cofty
    Especially do our atheist neighbors on the forum need our support. More than others, they get treated as non-members of society, usually cannot speak up for what they don't believe in while in public, and have little respect from Christians

This is exactly opposite to the situation in the UK.

I have no problem at all with christians preaching here - I just wish they had the courage to follow through on the conversation. The OP has run away as soon as it was pointed out that they had misunderstood their own doctrine.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I wasn't trying to explain the Trinity. The Catholic church declares it a mystery. A mystery cannot be explained. That's why it's called a mystery.

I was only noting the facts as they have come about.

Fact- The trinity pushing Catholics DID give the world all that I listed and much more.

Love your neighbor, love your enemy. Isn't that weird?

• cofty
    cofty
    The Catholic church declares it a mystery.

A nonsensical, self-contradictory statement is no less absurd by labelling it as a "mystery".

The emperor is butt naked.

• cofty
    cofty
    Fact- The trinity pushing Catholics DID give the world all that I listed

No they didn't. The scientific method was a rebellion against the dogma of the church who opposed it with everything up to and including torture and murder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit