The absurdity of petitionary prayer

by logansrun 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wednesday
    wednesday

I hate organized religion, but i still believe in God. I still pray. Mainly i pray for my family and their welfare. I pray that i can contiune to get up every day, and that God will help me find some treatment to help me feel better so i can be of some use to my hubby and kids/grandkids. So i ask God to please direct my doctors to help me. I ask God why the world is in such horrible shape and why He is waiting so long to help people. I ask God to show me a direction to look for Him -and u know i ask Him if i am wrong to have left JWS, and every time, i do that, my mind is flooded with the horrible things they did to me and my family. I consider that an answer. I pray for help to survive money wise. So far we are. Sometimes i curse God, i am so mad. i hate Him for me having been in that horrible religion that nealry destroyed me and my family. But i am always sorry i do that, and ask His forgivness for that.

Now i may just be talking to myself, but it does seem to help. So i continue.

And i do remember one particular instance about 15 yrs ago, i was severely depressed and calling out to him. My mind was very confused. It suddenly became clear as a bell and i felt peace and comfort and a real sense of well being. It did not last forever, but it at least lasted that night. I have never forgotten that.

weds

• Robdar
    Robdar

Another observation: Those who don't believe in God often use Biblical references of God's bad qualities to support their reasons for not believing in God. Am I the only one that finds it odd that an atheist would quote the Bible to support their opinion that there couldn't be a loving God?

What if God IS NOT the "God of the Hebrews"? Maybe he has a different personality than described in the Bible? It could happen. What if God has been misrepresented?

I guess it is easier to dismiss God than to think outside the box.

Robyn

• gumby
    gumby
    I guess it is easier to dismiss God than to think outside the box.

I think trying to dismiss God is something I'm havingreal trouble with.....it's not easy for all.

What type of a creator he is worries me bit in the fact he seems to have came and left and it dosen't seem like a good loving creator would do that. Yet when I see the wonders of life.......it's hard to dismiss him. *scratches partially gray head*

Gumby

• SixofNine
  • Panda
    Panda

Robyn,

Athiests use the Bible to discredit the supposed author of said tome, God. Just as we all use WTS publications to discredit their deceptions and crimes.

However, you may be interested in reading Thomas Paine's Age of Reason. In this work he claims that the Bible does NOT properly represent God. That men wrote the Bible first to give themselves a national history and later as promoters of a new religion. When you consider Paine's era (late 18th and early 19th centuries) his enlightened Bible knowledge will astound you. This was an era inwhich educated men read Greek and Latin, spoke French and English and Italian, Anyway, you may find yourself in agreement with him. And remember Paine was a believer.

Another good book if you want to just talk about God or god is the Pulitzer prize winner God a Biography. Published I think around 1997 or 98.

Believe me there is nothing convenient or easy about atheism. Everyone wants to "aid" the atheist to a relationship with God. I've never run into an atheist who was hell bent on convincing me to forget my beliefs. Atheism , is a deep and heart felt acceptance of the facts. As you know facts are not easily accepted when they brush our deep seated beliefs aside. I remember when I had to admit to myself that tree or stake it didn't matter. Or the dietary issue of blood had nothing to do with modern medicine. Those were deep beliefs. (well maybe not the blood so much). Or what about people who believe that any medicine is against faith in god and prayer? I mean if you believe in prayer then don't you enable those folks to reject medicine for their children?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Panda,

I enjoyed Paine's book. Thanks for the suggestion though. I will try to find a copy of God, a Biography. Sounds interesting.

Or what about people who believe that any medicine is against faith in god and prayer? I mean if you believe in prayer then don't you enable those folks to reject medicine for their children?

Those people are too extreme. I do not see how believing in prayer enables those folks. I know I certainly don't believe in rejecting medicine just because I pray. Sometimes medicine is God's answer. I tend to agree with Little Toe when he says he helps himself. I help myself (by taking medicine, etc) and I don't run to God with every little problem.

Robyn

• micheal
    micheal

The world's problems do not exist because we do not know god, but because god doesn't want to know us.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Amac:
    IMHO most religion is about getting one in the right frame of mind to make a connection with the divine. Whether that's a Christian service or a solo mantra.
    Is it about altered mind states? I suspect so, but not in the sense of losing all volition. It seems to be more about tuning.

Eman:I would agree - sometimes the answer is no. But, like the petty children we are, we often throw a tantrum

Bradley:
    I wasn't condoning a wait and see attitude, just that if you opened your heart an inch (during a pause in a mutiplicity of questions, which all appear "anti-believer"), maybe you might get an answer.

I've never tried shrooms. I hear they taste like sh*t, so maybe I'll pass.

As for the law's of nature - have they discovered all of those? It seems to me that there are still enough unexplained phenomina out there, that there will be a market for "spirituality" for some time to come.

Finally, you state that I'm set in my beliefs and have effectively avoided your questions with a mile long pole. Completely wrong, on both counts, AND you know it.

Dude, you just need to chill a bit.
    ~lights up Gumby's fatty, and passes it on~

Danny:Your comments on looking "outside" of ourselves are similar to my own concept of "submitting the ego". Every spiritual tradition contains some element of this.

Touching on "public prayer", I believe it can have a purpose, but I need to qualify that.
    Where prayers are formulaic, secularised and/or make people fall asleep, they are useless. When a group of people pray "together", even if lead by an individual, they can be of much greater worth.
    I don't know if you believe in it, but "praying in the spirit" (not the alcoholic kind) is pretty incredible, and often brings results. Getting into that "place" is the difficult part, though.

I, also, suspect that God is not like man has painted him.

Wednesday:
    Aint nothing wrong with being angry at God, occasionally. Some of the best answers to pray have been after a tantrum

Gumby:
    Trying to work out the "mind of God" has been a popular biblical theme. You'll note that most come to the conclusion that it can't be done.

Human logic works well in the physical world, but IMHO is defied in the spiritual.

Panda:
    Seeing that Genesis was likely a compilation of about ten previous histories, and the majority of the OT is a historical record of events in Israel, I can see where you are coming from.
    Looks to me like people saw the hand of God in everything, and tried to come to terms with that, within their own limited minds. Not much has changed, huh?

Michael:
    IMHO the worlds problems are man's doing and have little to do with a deity.
    Maybe that's what the Adam and Eve story was getting at.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Six,

"."

I didn't realize you felt so strongly...

Little Toe,

"I've never tried shrooms. I hear they taste like sh*t, so maybe I'll pass"

Do pass. They do taste quite sh*tty and they do little more than make you hallucinate. I'd much rather chant/pray myself into a hallucinatory state then ingest another one of them.

~Aztec

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

LT,

***I don't know if you believe in it, but "praying in the spirit" (not the alcoholic kind) is pretty incredible, and often brings results. ***

To much like 'mob frenzy' for my taste. Much like the ole 'tent preachers' who whipped their audiences into a trance like state of mind. Then are able to simply knock some poor soul to the ground with a touch to the forehead. Way to emotional entertainment for my taste.

If you are refering to Aztec's conclusion that chemicals are required, then my doubts about the validity/value of such prayer are magnified. Can't imagine any positive effects being in a mental stupor can bring when endeavoring to speak with the creator.

Of course a bottle of spirits can aid in enjoying other activities........when I feel like feeling incredible Tequila has worked for me........at least during the consumption.

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit