The absurdity of petitionary prayer

by logansrun 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

God helps those that helps themselves....

You just need to pray harder Bradley...he'll bring you that girl yet...

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

Petitionary prayer is useless...yesterday I prayed to have Bradley, toga-clad, in my living room for a deep discussion of epistemology and I did not get it.

Perhaps it is just that I lack faith!

*Feigns faith, gathers her toga in her hands and runs to the living room to wait for Bradley*

• gumby
    gumby
    Feigns faith, gathers her toga in her hands and runs to the living room to wait for Bradley*

What if I showed up......I'm kinda cute

Jesus said "knock and it will be opened, seek and you will find, anything you ask in my name will be given to you".

I don't remember gettin anything I asked for. Really.

Gumby

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Let's just say that a long-legged vixen appeared in your room. (For one thing, a vixen is literally a female fox. so if you get a coppery quadreped with extreme B.O., then God has a sense of humor.)

would that change your attitude?

Probably not, because God doesn't really work that way. Besides, who says that would be what you really want? she might just be amused at your... manhood...

Suppose you are out tonight, at the pub, you meet a woman who just happens to be utterly perfect for you? Not long-legged, but personality wise, perfect?

Not bloody likely, you say.

Which is the greater miracle?

Ask for something you really need, man, not just stupid stuff.

CZAR

• shotgun
    shotgun

Logan... a sister once told me she was praying for my wife to have a daughter...my wife was 6 months pregneant so I told her she a little late for that but I was short on cash so why not pray for a million bucks and I'd split it with her.

She told me she was serious and not to talk stupid

• rem
    rem
    Ask for something you really need, man, not just stupid stuff.

Let's all pray to our respective deities to end child starvation. It's brilliant - this plan has got to work!

rem

• rocketman
    rocketman
    There was an experience in an Awake magazine a few years ago of a man, an elder, who had prayed for her daughters safety while she was traveling across the country. She -- pregnant with child at the time -- was brutally murdered along with her child. The father said that he could not understand why Jehovah didn't protect her. But then he reasoned that Jehovah did in fact protect her -- that is, spiritually protect her.

Yes, the case where the woman had her baby cut of of her belly by some sadistic looney - terrible! And just when the elder had what may have been a glimmer of his own thinking ability come through, he instead draws a very Watchtower-esque conclsuion. "Spritually"? In what way?

Interesting post Bradley.....you hit on some of the reasons why I don't pray.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

If you want to pray for a perfect world, go ahead...

All i'm saying is, God will guide you. If the world leaders REALLY wanted to end child starvation, and prayed sincerely for a way to make it happen, I bet it would. But they won't, because they don't really care. And God won't just DO it because how would we ever know that we need him? [in fact, maybe God DOES solve lots of problems without letting you know about it - and how can you prove that He doesn't?]

Either admit you need God to help you solve your problems - by praying for help to do so, or just admit that the real issue is whether or not you WANT God to help.

CZAR

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Bradley... excellent post as usual!

When do you have time to study for class?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Czar, I like you man, but it always seems to come down to this with believers:

All i'm saying is, God will guide you. If the world leaders REALLY wanted to end child starvation, and prayed sincerely for a way to make it happen, I bet it would. But they won't, because they don't really care.

So, you care, but the world leaders just don't give a f**k? Didn't you get enough of judging people (who you don't even know) insincere when you were a witness? So how would you handle it if you were a world leader?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit