Does the WT attract needy dysfunctional type of people?

by William Penwell 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• brandnew
    brandnew

@talesin......whoa!!!!!! Is the beer stronger there?????

Mad Puppy

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

The WT does attract needy and dysfunctional people now, In the last 10 years I would say. We have a lot of people that have weird ailments, chemical sensitive, ground minerals sensitivity. Theirs this one sister that said the minerals under her house was making her sick. There are some sisters 3 that I can think of just in our hall that can't sit in the main auditorium because of peoples fragrances (perfumes).

We have a family that are full time pioneers and are basically unemployed, they get food stamps and welfare from the state. They see nothing wrong with this, once this sister said in a comment, " In Jehovah's organization there should be a equalization, from those that have to those that don't, that's what it will be like in paradise". I just thought your paradise.

Going out in service was fun too they would always send the crazy's our way. Everybody always had plans, note to self make plans.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

The WT does attract needy and dysfunctional people now, In the last 10 years I would say. We have a lot of people that have weird ailments, chemical sensitive, ground minerals sensitivity. Theirs this one sister that said the minerals under her house was making her sick. There are some sisters 3 that I can think of just in our hall that can't sit in the main auditorium because of peoples fragrances (perfumes).

I have no problem with people being over sensitive to perfumes as some perfumes can be over powering. The only thing is these same people are probably the same ones that are on a health craze where they eat raw garlic and reek of it. I recall my mom telling me about one sister that was so strong with the smell of garlic, no one wanted her in their car group. My mom said it was so strong you couldn't even breath in the car with all the windows closed.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Those with nothing really going on in there life are attracted. Those that view life as an obligation rather than an opportunity are attracted. Those who desire a magical solution to their problems are attracted. Some, men especially, are attracted because they see an avenue to gain power and prominence. and nut cases that will join any religion or organization just because someone came to their home.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

The only thing is these same people are probably the same ones that are on a health craze where they eat raw garlic and reek of it.

That's them, was taking tons of garlic and nobody could stand next to them. That's weird, its not just in my hall.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

William Penwell - "Does the WT attract needy dysfunctional type of people?"

Does a bear shit in the woods?

• steve2
    steve2

People whose lives are desperate, frightened, lonely, disillusioned and/or dreary are highly susceptible to religious promises that ensnare. They also bring a truckload of baggage with them that gets played out in local kingdom halls. Combined with the elders' own truckloads of baggage, they're in for one hell of a bumpy ride.

People whose lives are rewarding and have lots of pleasant events and connections and have the ability to think critically are protected from religious promises.

• Acts5v29
    Acts5v29

There is a way forward - show them that God is not judgemental, that He is not expecting us to find truth amongst a Babel of religions, that there is no finishing line to cross - in other words, show that He is not threatening.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MarkofCane:

With regard to that sister's comment: "In Jehovah's organization there should be equalization - from those that have to those that don't." Sounds like Communism to me. I would have told her off.

Years ago I was in a congregation where a faction of people were downright jealous of certain individuals who were successful. There were particular brother(s) always being hit up for "loans". Sometimes somebody is successful because they worked hard and not necessarily because they come from money.

I also realized in the world there are always going to be people who have more than me and also people who have less.

I also noticed individuals in the Witness religion who didn't really want to be part of the workforce and lived on the "edge", doing work here and there, preferring to be in the ministry knocking on doors. So, they have voluntarily chosen poverty... I do not feel sorry for them.

It's bad enough when poverty happens to somebody because of circumstances: but Witnesses are urged to PURSUE poverty. Of course, most people there are repelled by it.

So, here I was in the mix: a woman who worked full-time to support myself. I was not covetous of the wealthier people since I was content, for the most part. But, yet, I was criticized for working - AND there were people there who thought I OWED somebody something!!! They had another thought coming.

And -- this was back in the day when there was a better class of people in the religion!!!!!

The Witness religion is NOT a place I would want to be nowadays! No way.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Yes!!!

We are just a bunch of delusional about the future, depressed about the present and damn tired of chasing the damned dangling carrot!!!

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit