Does the WT attract needy dysfunctional type of people?

by William Penwell 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The liberator:

I know exactly what you mean about "lock outs" and "wack pack".

There were too many people with pre-arrangements, even elders. But, as somebody who worked full-time, I didn't have many opportunities to go out in service except weekends.

Not to be unkind, but I was not there to be a "babysitter" or be stressed out by dysfunctional people, or even so-called normal but nervy sisters. People like this always gravitated towards me.

In frustration, I ended up making private arrangements with some sister. It was either that or work alone. No wonder I was a loner.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Yes, I agree they Borg attracts dysfunctional people, my mother included. Someone pointed out to me that people with mental issues need some kind of schedule to keep them busy and something where they can jot down notes to remind them of what they've done and/or what needs to be done. That's what da troof provides, daily field service and weekly meetings that must be studied for, jotting down from the meetings for future reference.

Good point. The WT does provide a very rigid environment for people that need that and because they are controlling group these dysfunctional people let the society and elders make the decisions for them. I knew so many dubs that couldn't even go to the washroom without an elders approval. lol

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Not to be unkind, but I was not there to be a "babysitter" or be stressed out by dysfunctional people, or even so-called normal but nervy sisters. People like this always gravitated towards me.

Seemed like these types gravitated to my family as we were kind hearted people and did not know how to set boundaries. No more, if I figure out that a person is a user I cut them out right away. I do not give them a chance to try and use me.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

William Penwell:

Thanks for being able to relate to my experience of fending off users! You were right not to give them a chance! You get an instinct and can usually tell. When I saw an excess of "personality" or too-much of a display of spirituality, I got suspicious.

I don't want to seem to derail the thread but this is part of the dysfunction in the religion:...too many users there! And they always seek out the overly-kind and/or single individuals.

They prey on some Witnesses' desire to be "Christian" and their eagerness to please. Once you got a reputation of being "easy", other users would seek you out.

As I said, the users never got anywhere with me. Since I was criticicized for having a full-time job and viewed as "not spiritual", I wouldn't give these people the time of day.

• kaik
    kaik
    I disagree because it will vary from country to country and from decade to decade. I knew people who joined WT under Stalin era. They were political prisoners, not religiously affiliated, but they were extremely fascinated the bravery many JWs stood up to Stalinist's regime. It was something heroic and many people were inspired. JWs were not the only one, but were among persecuted group of people to whom many people could give their sympathy. Also consider living in society where traditional churches like Catholic and Orthodox were compliant or passive to the ruling elite. WT seems to be a modern religion without pope, physical opulent churches and cathedrals, and some people loved it. They did not realized they were joining a cult that will destroy their life.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

KAIK:

That's okay, you're entitled to disagree. However, I was targeted by enough of them to know.

Maybe "users" are more of an American phenomenon than elsewhere. I would imagine that people who survive and come out of repressive regimes have more moral fiber.

It is not as though every Witness I met were users! I met some very fine individuals, especially in the early years. They are mostly all gone now!

Let me just say that a lot of users are concentrated in my land, sad to say! Even though I didn't say it was everybody, there's enough. It runs through the fabric of the religion like threads in a cloth!

• smiddy
    smiddy

As a convert at age 19 , I would say it attracts vulnerable people who are going through some crises in their lives , whether it be small or major , and the J.w.`s take full advantage of that .

smiddy

• kaik
    kaik

What I know my JW aunt became one of them in the 50's when the communist repression was the hardest. She came from bourgeois family which pretty much undesirable social class. Women like her were sent as a forced labor in factory where she met JWs and offered her bible studies. She became one.

My parents were deeply anticommunist and antisoviet, and WT offered a hope in era when people lost hope after brutal suppression of the Prague Spring. 1960's was decade of relative freedom and prosperity in Czechoslovakia, people could travel abroad, censorship was abolished, living standard improved that my parents had house, car, summer cottage; and they did not have to be associated with the communist party. In that decade, communists did not care about loyalty as long nobody crossed their business. This changed with invasion and subsequent occupation of the country in 1968. My dad was supportive of the changes in the 1960's and this was the end for his career. My mom did not like any communist, even the reformed liberal ones like Dubcek, so she was not purged of her job. My JW relatives offered a vision of new world when Jesus will arrive and will destroy Soviets in 1975. Soviets shoot at my dad in 1968, and the revenge from mighty God in couple year later looked sweet to him. But my dad never had enough time to dedicate to full bible study with them and this dragged on, but eventually only my mom got baptized for the 1975 hype. I met a lot of men in my KH who were like my dad, and due political changes they find WT teaching interesting. In 1968-1972 there was huge spike of suicide because people feel hopeless. It was oppressive era especially in comparison to freedom people enjoyed in the 1960's.

WT prey on misery of the others. If WT would say my parents in 1969 that Armageddon will be 40 years later, they would not have joined. However, 1975 was just couple years away...

• Acts5v29
    Acts5v29
    I think it also turns some insecure people into self-righteous, aggressive ones - as if they have sensed a door out of their insecurity into power. In all honest, I think insecurity is preferable to that - its hard to like someone who has turned themselves into a judgemental mouthpiece.
  • done4good
    done4good

Not meant to be snarky, but why does any abusive system attract and foster dysfunctional types and their behaviors? The same parallels can be seen in any abusive relationship. Understanding this, would answer your question.

Take a few steps back and look at what happens with abused women, (JW has quite a few of these), subjects of totalitarian regimes, salespeople for MLMs, (again, many times also JW), and you begin to see a pattern. Abused people have low self esteem and believe their abusers are there for their own good. It starts a positive feedback loop, (vicious cycle), that is difficult to break from.

d4g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit