Does the WT attract needy dysfunctional type of people?

by William Penwell 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    Yes, my observation also is that most newly baptised ones who are not born-ins are social misfits and are simply odd. Usually unemployed too.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I remember an ex-JW (James Penton?) writing once that if you didn't have a problem when you came in to the religion then they would give you one.

I also remember a brother saying in the Kingdom Hall that there were mentally unbalanced people coming into the organization.

• brandnew
    brandnew

I get mentally unbalanced after about 8 cold beers👍

Mad Puppy

• talesin
    talesin
    I remember an ex-JW (James Penton?) writing once that if you didn't have a problem when you came in to the religion then they would give you one.

Agreed.

Most of the JWS I grew up with were born in. I would guess that at least 50% have either faded or were DF long ago (from what I've learned over the years, here and there, it's a small city). The more neurotic, and narcissistic ones, stayed 'in'. Others stayed for family. Some still seeking approval of the sky daddy g-d, others just hanging on to the only life they know.

• elderINewton
    elderINewton

VI - spot on with the Penton comment.

I told a CO once that I swear the only ones that agree to a study and get baptized are societies oddballs, or suffering from severe depression and we offer them a friend.

I say this with a grain of salt in that we are all unbalanced in some ways. Makes us human.

• talesin
    talesin
    I get mentally unbalanced after about 8 cold beers👍

Or 5 Canadian.

• Mandrake
    Mandrake

I think "the message" of the JW is entitled to make its effect on specially vulnerable people, the same people who would be looking for answers to questions like "is the world getting worse everyday?" "is there hope for the dead loved ones?" "is there a god?" "will wars end some day?" "why do people suffer?".... Well the "answers" comes with all the man-made JW set of rules and methods, and for some people that works for a while, and for some others joining were such a life investment and at a so high price that the only thing left to do is trying to convince themselves and others that it was "the best choice" and are living "the best and happiest life possible"...

we born ins have a different way to this, because we weren't "attracted", it was all set up

• Mandrake
    Mandrake

if you want to get "unbalanced" you should try the infamous "terremoto" (earthquake) drink, hehehe just read here, give it a try...

http://www.southamerica.cl/Chile/Drinks/terremoto.htm

(you can use fermented white wine instead of pipeño wine, and also you MUST add some grenadine syrup as a topping, that part is missing in that website)

• talesin
    talesin

That sounds very tasty. And ha, I can see how 1 litre would have that effect, combined with the sugar high. I am remember a line from an old song "It was a cool, cool evening in Chile, when things got hot." jajaja!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Like I said on a thread a few days/weeks ago. The Borg attracts all kinds of queers, spazzos, weirdos, burnouts, dweebs and psychopaths.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit