The John Cedars Channel on YouTube taken down after posting a critique of leaked videos for Regional (District) Convention

by oppostate 44 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• John Davis
    John Davis

Yes the videos at conventions are copyrighted, in fact all videos and written materials generated by Watchtower is copyrighted.

• John Davis
  • oppostate
    oppostate

Ivan Cedrovi says "Fair use is a doctrine in the law of the United States that permits limited use of copyrighted material without having to first acquire permission from the copyright holder." Especially in the case of parody or critique. Take that Watchtower!

https://www.facebook.com/ivan.cedrovi/photos_all

• John Davis
    John Davis

Fair use is a complex set of rules and legal precedents. I know that John Cedars and Mike and Kim feels that if you put a notice on your youtube that it is fair use that it is fair use.

• oppostate
  • oppostate
  • John Davis
    John Davis

Wow, great attack the person and not the things said. Show me I am wrong. It is funny so many people here constantly talk about the persecution complex that Witnesses have when they have faced actual arrest and persecution. But if John Cedars can't make money on his video oh that is legitimate persecution. Criticize all you want just obey the law.

• oppostate
    oppostate

And here is the version for John Davis in WT Simplified English

• John Davis
    John Davis

Yes, limited material is a key portion of the fair use doctrine. You can't use the full material and say well that is limited material. The limited audience again he wants this promoted to as many people as possible so that would fail on a limited audience. Limited time again he is not setting a limit on how long his critique and use of the copyrighted material is to be used in fact if you look at his youtube page he has a number of videos that have stayed on for years. His own actions limit the effectiveness of his fair use claim.

• John Davis
    John Davis

Oh and on top of that, his tweets about how Youtube has demonetized his videos shows that his intent is to make money from youtube payment scheme so it is not a non-profit venture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit