Ridiculous ways you kept your "time going" in service?

by HereIgo 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

I used to go out early mornings with 2 pioneer elders, we would drive 20 miles out of the territory (a big no-no) to look for hikers to preach to lol of course there were never any hikers. Then off to Starbucks for another hour lol Easy way to count 2-4 hours. I am chuckling as I write this, what a joke!

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Used to walk an hour to uni and then an hour back...would start walking with dropping a tract on car window...walk an hour then drop another tract at the end...did this every day...2 hours a day...easy...

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

We did remote territory (not unassigned, but in the boonies).

Before we left town, we checked for houses with lights on. Knock, knock - would you like some mags?

Good to go. Let's drive for an hour.

• alanv
    alanv

Makes you wander how the org can say they spent 2 billion hours in preaching, when they must know that so much of the time was just spent counting time with nothing at all productive. Not to mention most witnesses work in twos, so time spent is actually 1 billion hours

• Divergent
    Divergent

alanv:

Makes you wander how the org can say they spent 2 billion hours in preaching, when they must know that so much of the time was just spent counting time with nothing at all productive. Not to mention most witnesses work in twos, so time spent is actually 1 billion hours

I would say even much LESS than 1 billion hours!

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

Divergent, I agree that it must be much less than a billion hours of productive time. When i was in, I hovered at 8-10 hours a month, right at the average. I was in "circus" for the time that I recorded, but only about 2 hours were productive work of actually walking the territory, knocking on doors, and talking to others that were not JWs. The majority of the time in the car group was criss crossing the territory, needless driving, breaks, coffee, visiting other JWs in the territory, I was even in car groups that ran errands, picked up dry cleaning, stopped by the library, dropped off movie rentals, and had extended lunches at the mall. One time a group even stopped for brunch at a diner! Certain ones always work with same ones in the same groups. It was a mutually understood Saturday morning sham.

• donny
    donny

I did what apparently many others did which was to waste time driving. My partner and I would do our schedule our return visits so that we were constantly driving across town between each one. What should have taken an hour or so was strectched in 3 or 4.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub
    I would say even much LESS than 1 billion hours!

There's a saying that; "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while." So if 8 million jw's are spending even 1 billion hours per year in fs, the number of converts per year should be much larger! Field service has become a formalistic regiment and nothing more.

My wife is part of a group of 4 sisters that always work together twice a week. They drive around to laundromats, bus stops, and coffee shops. They have bible studies with old women and troubled single moms. It's nothing more than a social circle that meets twice a week.

just saying!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I used to like those warm-up breaks. I would purposely let the heat out of the car so it would take longer, or they would get cold again quicker and need another break. Even when it wasn't that bad and I could have easily stayed out continuously, I would insist on accepting whatever breaks they provided. No, I wasn't cold. But I would take anything to waste that chance of getting in on some call that I found disgusting or to reduce the number of damnation books I placed.

• ab.ortega
    ab.ortega

Back when there were pay phones.. left a tract at a pay as soon as leaving home to start counting time...That started the clock and ran straight through the fs meeting, didn't matter what the KM said. Then time didn't stop until I was home.

I always hated when someone in the group asked "So how much time did we do". Ughhh make up your own b.s. time like I do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit