JWs anti gay video reaches over 1,000,000 views on youtube

by alanv 75 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Coded logic have we disagreed? I have only vague recollection.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Cofty you say your first comment wasn't about me. It would have been easier to avoid this misapprehension if you hadn't quoted me and highlighted my name in bold.

• cofty
    cofty

It was a response to your comment not a rebuttal.

Both your comment and mine are potentially in agreement.

• scotsman
    scotsman
    Seven people disagree that they have a right to state their beliefs about sexuality. Those seven people are enemies of a free society.

Cofty, are you mind reader? How do you know the reason people disliked your comment?

I didn't like or dislike it but it did seem irrelevant to any of the previous posts.

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty, are you mind reader? How do you know the reason people disliked your comment? - scotsman

My statement included two clauses ...

1 - I disagree with the Watchtower's opposition to gay relationships

2 - anybody who cares about freedom should defend their right to say it.

So either they agree with the Watchtower's position on gay marriage or they disagree with freedom of speech.

• scotsman
    scotsman
    lol I love that you think all the posters here like/dislike for rational reasons? Are you reading the same posts as me? ;-)
  • wizzstick
    wizzstick

Would you write what you did if the WT had a belief that black people were in some way lesser people to white people?

Imagine they had such a doctrine. Would you write the below?

My statement included two clauses ...

1 - I disagree with the Watchtower's view on black people

2 - anybody who cares about freedom should defend their right to say it.

So either they agree with the Watchtower's position on black people or they disagree with freedom of speech.

So would you feel comfortable writing the above?

Genuinely curious.

• cofty
    cofty

I provided two examples from this thread of calls for greater restrictions on freedom of religion.

One from DJS and one from Orphan Crow. A third can bee seen from LUHE, "This should be a matter for Honourable Members of Parliament."

Nobody hates the damaging teachings of religion more than I do but asking for laws against freedom of religion and freedom of expression is regressive.

• cofty
    cofty

Wizzstick - Are you asking me who should get to choose which statements of belief should be banned and which should be permitted?

If we are asking for governments to get involved in limiting the rights of religions to state their beliefs I would suggest we start with mainline theism. Teaching a child that they are broken sinners is shameful. Telling them they will end up in hell if they don't accept certain superstitions is child abuse.

Do we really want laws banning preaching the christian gospel? I don't. I have utter contempt for theism - including its oppressive attitudes to gay relationships. The answer is open debate and free speech.

• scotsman
    scotsman
    I provided two examples from this thread of calls for greater restrictions on freedom of religion.

Which occured after your initial comment. Which still leaves the question why you made your initial post when no one had suggested that free speech should be quashed?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit