JWs anti gay video reaches over 1,000,000 views on youtube

by alanv 75 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DJS
    DJS

5 people, the US Cinstitution, The SCOTUS, Russia extremist laws, Switzerland acclimation laws, The Hate Speech laws in many countries all say the same thing.

You can believe whatever you wish. Practicing those beliefs, which includes speech, videos, etc. , otoh, has limits.

And what the laws don't or haven't yet addressed regarding religion and ithe carnage, psychological and emotional damage caused by the teaching of those beliefs, social, cultural and financial forces are.

And we've only just begun. Let it come.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I wonder who gets to choose what religious people are permitted to believe - good question, and a brave one.

At the moment, it seems to be that single-issue groups (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-issue_politics) get to decide, if not what religious people are permitted to believe, then how religious groups can carry out their beliefs.

Although I strongly dislike organised religion, I believe that this is wrong. I believe that government should do its job and monitor/improve religion. This means that there should be sensible debate across Parliament.

I fear that we - the tax-paying, law-abiding public - are being short-changed.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Jws, your comments were spot on!

Well said!

• DJS
    DJS

Once again we have an OP where a lot of posters post specious comments that sound good on the surface but fall short of rational analysis. Religions have never been completely free of the strong arm of the law to believe and practice whatever they wish. Or are you all suggesting that human sacrifice, public torture devices for adulterers and heretics, having sex with children, honor killings, stoning the occasional heretic, etc., all of which have been practiced by various past and present religions, are acceptable?

So it is all relative. But let's for a moment forget about this law or that law. This OP, like so many others, is about the pressure for change brought about by social, cultural and capitalist/economic forces who strongly disagree with the expressed religious beliefs.

The DarkLords are not in prison. The FBI isn't investigating them. Bethel isn't burning. The IRS isn't climbing over their cyber fire walls. Society, in the form of 920,000 out of 1M viewers, "Dislikes" the hate filled views expressed by the DarkLords through Sofia's mom.

It's no different than the cable channel vs. DuckDynasty, the NFL/NBA/Cisco, et al vs. the governors of Indiana, MS and NC, the NBA vs. Donald Silver, or Bruce Springsteen and Maroon Five exercising their rights to show their own brand of dislike to hate.

Flailing about against those who agree with the NFL/NBA/Cisco/Bruce/Maroon and the 920,000 who dislike the Sophia don't say gay videos is irrational and misses the point.

Welcome to the 21st Century. Come on in guys, the water's fine.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    I wonder who gets to choose what religious people are permitted to believe

Nobody does.

Belief is separate from actions and speech. A belief does not give someone the right to disrespect other people's rights

There is no "permission" involved in what people think. But there is permission involved in what they say and do.

Bringing belief into the argument is silly - it detracts from what is possible - it is not possible to control belief

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Flailing about against those who agree with the NFL/NBA/Cisco/Bruce/Maroon and the 920,000 who dislike the Sophia don't say gay videos is irrational and misses the point - I would hardly call asking questions or adopting a critical attitude to be flailing about or irrational.

The FBI isn't investigating them [the WTS] - that's part of the problem, isn't it?

Welcome to the 21st Century. Come on in guys, the water's fine - I'm already in the water. And, as you say, it's fine. But I have an issue when the person standing next to me takes a p1$$.

it is not possible to control belief - not sure about this. It's up to government to 'control' (monitor and improve) religion.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    LUHE: It's up to government to 'control' (monitor and improve) religion.

Sure. Government can control religious practice. They can't control belief. Nobody can

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Government can control religious practice. They can't control belief - I get what you're saying, and you're probably right.

But disagree with: Belief is separate from actions and speech. Belief is linked to actions and speech. People who verbally or physically abuse gay people overwhelmingly believe that homosexuality is wrong, for example.

Incidentally, how good is government at controlling religious practice? From where I'm standing, it's doing a sh1tty job ...

• DJS
    DJS

50 Shades of Grey

1. ISIS throws gays off buildings, to their horrific deaths. We are all outraged at these monsters and their monstrous religion.

2. At a lecture at the University of Michigan in 2013, when asked about homosexuality he said: “Death is the sentence. There’s nothing to be embarrassed about this. Death is the sentence. We have to have that compassion for people. With homosexuals, it’s the same. Out of compassion, let’s get rid of them now. A video of that speech surfaced in March when Sheik Sekaleshfar spoke at the Husseini Islamic Center outside Orlando on “How to deal with the phenomenon of homosexuality”. Shortly after his appearance at an Orlando mosque, Mr. Mateen kills 49 gays at a local nightclub. We are all outraged at these monsters and their monstrous religion.

3. The DarkLords developed and placed on the world wide web for the widest possible audience (anyone with an internet connection) a video with attractive, kindly sweet animated characters, one of which, the mom, is kindly telling her small child Sophia that god doesn't approve of gays (and by direct inference that gays are deserving of death). Some of us are outraged at these monsters and their monstrous religion.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    LUNE: But disagree with: Belief is separate from actions and speech. Belief is linked to actions and speech. People who verbally or physically abuse gay people overwhelmingly believe that homosexuality is wrong, for example.

Linked, yes, but still separate from.

How a person acts out their beliefs is based upon individual choice, not upon belief itself. For example, someone who believes wholeheartedly in the wrongness of homosexuality does not neccessarily abuse gay people - the abusive behavior is a choice made by people who use violence as a solution to frustration. Violent behavior is a choice, not a belief

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit