Favourite female heroes in film ...

by LoveUniHateExams 88 Replies latest social entertainment

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    LoveUniHateExams

<<We see her fixing starship parts - we see her salvaging and washing ship's parts to sell to Plutt in exchange for food. Then all of a sudden, this means that later on she's a good mechanic who can fix the Falcon better than Han can. This is bollocks, and one bit of evidence for Rey being a Mary Sue.

And she has. knowledge of the 'Falcon's maintenance history - we're not told this in TFA movie. Are you sure you're not fan-splaining?>>

Consider yourself schooled:

<<<<<<<<<<<

INT. MILLENNIUM FALCON - COCKPIT - SAME Han enters the cockpit.

HAN Twelve! Fourteen.

A moment of private joy. Then he sees something that ANNOYS him:

HAN (CONT'D) Hey! Some moof-milker put a

compressor on the ignition line! Han moves to the corridor.

INT. MILLENNIUM FALCON - LOUNGE AREA - DAY

REY
    Unkar Plutt did. I thought it was a

mistake too, puts too much stress on the hyperdrive--

>>>>>>>>>>>

So, Rey has knowledge of the 'Falcon's maintenance history and is knowledgable enough about starship engineering to have informed opinions about it. Maybe actually watching the movie better rather than reading the impassioned screeds of fanbois who have exploding head-canons would help in having an informed opinion?

<<Maybe she's worked with BB series droids or other astromech droids? - urggh, more fan-splaining! We don't see any other BB-type droids on Jakku, we don't even hear Rey talk about interacting with these droids before.

You know this how, having admitted we don't know her backstory - c'mon, don't be silly. Going by TFA movie, Rey shouldn't be able to understand Chewie. Finn couldn't but as a stormtrooper, FN-2187 had more likelihood of bumping into wookiees that Rey. Finn travelled around the galaxy with the First Order; Rey was abandoned on a little rock in the middle of nowhere aged about 5. And yet, somehow Rey can understand Chewie no problem, even translating Chewie's words for Luke in TLJ, but Finn can't understand sh!t.>>

Look, we've established you missed entire sections of dialogue that rubbish part of your contention. You are now claiming knowledge of a negative which as any atheist knows is impossible.

<<We certainly see Rey gain power as she realises her latent Force powers - but not by the usual Padawan-Knight-Master route that every other force-sensitive being in the whole of the SW franchise took.>>

Luke was never really a Padawan, Hell, he was never really a Jedi knight. So again, you are wrong.

<<By the time she does the rock lifting she has arguably had more training than Luke had when he destroyed the Death Star with an impossible shot - Luke had actual lessons with Ben. Lessons where Luke f**ked up and looked silly, but put these things right in later lessons. Rey's lessons with old Luke on Ahkh-To cannot be counted as actual training, surely.>>

Tatooine to Alderaan in the 'Falcon is generally accepted as being somewhere in the order of two days according to canonical data. Rey was with Luke on the island for two days (that we see). And Luke says he has only seen one person more powerful than her; that means it is, in order, Kylo, Rey, Emperor Palpatine, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-wan Kenobi. In-film dialog confirming she is more powerful than Emperor Palpatine. So they had the same training, more or less.

<<So, lifting tons of rocks w/out actual Jedi training is ridiculous, much more ridiculous that Luke hitting the main reactor.>>

See above comment.

<<Yeah, I missed that. Never seen people dancing and exchanging moves? Naturally skilled dancers can watch someone do something and duplicate it. Hell, Mozart at age 14 heard 'Miserere' a 14 minute long complex choral piece performed in the Sistine Chapel, went home, and wrote it down from memory - what the f**k has this got to do with Rey pulling off a Jedi mind trick or the SW franchise in general?! Seriously, dude.>>

No. You. Dude. Seriously. She is the second most powerful Force user Luke has met. If one of the most talented composers ever can do something NO ONE had done in 150 years - transcribing from memory a two-choir, nine voice polyphonic masterpiece - just because he was so prodigiously talented, in real life, then a similarly talented Force prodigy can do amazing shit even if she has boobs.

Nope, you being too invested in your precious head-canon to accept the twin of the powerful Jedi might have in extremis unexpected abilities - this is nonsense. Before the space-flying, Leia had only talked telepathically with Luke. That was it. Then she can fly in space. This is Mary Sue right here."

LOL, ever heard of hysterical strength? Like when a woman lifts a car of her child. Real life things happen that show you don't credit what actually happens in real life happening in a movie! I find your lack of faith disturbing. LOL

<<SJW do not exist except as a pejorative term used by those who are unable to come up with a concise description of the behaviour they are criticising or the identity of groups that exclusively engage in those behaviours, or even the listing of a local SJW group - ok, on the same basis I can say that The Patriarchy doesn't exist either, except has a pejorative term used by contemporary feminists. See, we can all play that game, chuck.>>

We live in a patriarchal society.

<<And anyway, wanting social, racial and sexual equality is not a bad thing. That's what social justice is. You fighting against that? - It depends what kind of equality we're talking about. I'm all for equality of opportunity.

But I'm dead against equality of outcome - that's what I'll be fighting against.>>

Equality of opportunity? Do we have that? When the average financial worth of a black family in the US is 1/10th of a white family? When in many companies the Board of Director is just men? You think that disparity exists when there is equality of opportunity?

Be careful how you answer that.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Jenna Jameson was the first that came to my mind.

She could really multi-task - XD

Me, I was always a Belladonna kinda guy ... now her multitasking abilities were legendary.

But seriously, here's another strong female lead: Lisa Reisert (Rachel McAdams) in Red Eye (2005). It's a very good little movie. The acting by McAdams and Cillian Murphy is great. Well worth a look.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I like Rey. I could relate to her. I loved the Force Awakens. I didn't care for the Last Jedi though...that was disappointing, but not prequel bad.

• TD
    TD

The Star Wars franchise has been plagued by writing and casting problems almost from the beginning.

--So much so that it's become the stuff of comedy. (e.g. Mike Stoklasa's humorous critiques on YouTube.)

Personally, I can't decide which character I dislike more: Kylo Ren or Rey.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

REY
    Unkar Plutt did. I thought it was a

mistake too, puts too much stress on the hyperdrive.

So, Rey has knowledge of the 'Falcon's maintenance history - how can Rey, a scavenger, know anything about the Falcon's maintenance history? Especially when she says it hasn't flown in years?

Scavenger Rey all of a sudden becomes a competent engineer. It's bollocks.

LOL, ever heard of hysterical strength? Like when a woman lifts a car of her child - but not like when an unconscious woman recovers, somehow survives the cold, harsh vacuum of space, and flies 200 yards to the nearest rebel ship. It's bollocks.

Tatooine to Alderaan in the 'Falcon is generally accepted as being somewhere in the order of two days according to canonical data. Rey was with Luke on the island for two days - but young Luke had actual lessons - Jedi training - with old Obi-Wan (see below). Rey didn't actually train with Luke as such.

Your whole argument can be boiled down to: Rey is the most powerful force-sensitive person ever, alongside Kylo Ren, so she should be able to click her fingers and do amazing sh!t. So shut your misogyny-hole. This is ridiculous. Every other force-sensitive being had to train as a Jedi and learn the ways of the force, making mistakes along the way. Luke wasn't called a Padawan but aboard the Falcon in ANH, he was a complete beginner. He got zapped in the arm and ass by the remote but listened to Obi-Wan's guidance and made some progress. This is just one example of proper character development.

Equality of opportunity? Do we have that? When the average financial worth of a black family in the US is 1/10th of a white family? When in many companies the Board of Director is just men? You think that disparity exists when there is equality of opportunity?

Be careful how you answer that - yes, generally speaking, we have equality of opportunity.

• TD
    TD

Kylo is a TERRIBLE villian....He almost immediately turned into a simpering piece of garbage.

LOL - Yes.

And it's not that I don't like Adam Driver. I loved him in the movie Paterson.

But good, god.....Cruella De Vil was a more intimidating villain.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Kylo is a TERRIBLE villian....He almost immediately turned into a simpering piece of garbage.

LOL - Yes - same here, I noticed this too.

Kylo Ren went from a being a mean mo-fo on Jakku, where he mercilessly cut down Max von Sydow's character ... and he used the force to stop Poe's laser blast in midair ... to being a whiny little bitch, acting like a teenager trying to get out of school sports day.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    And Luke says he has only seen one person more powerful than her; that means it is, in order, Kylo, Rey, Emperor Palpatine, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-wan Kenobi.

And this where i, again, have significant issues with the newer movies and the continuity between the originals. Also, your list is completety wrong and omits a huge, key character.

Vader was, without question, the most powerful “force user” in the star wars galaxy. He was not introduced as such in a new hope but was back storied as such as the movies went along. Vader was far more powerful (that is to say innately talented) than palpatine prior to being crippled on mustafar.

Anikin was vergance in force. Literally an immaculate conception. That was why palpatine wanted him so badly to begin with. That was the whole (clumsily told) plot line of the second three prequals: the battle for anikins soul. The most powerful being in the galaxy being corrupted.

So your list is flawed from the start. Vader is one and its not even close. The list then omits a huge key player in yoda while missing the plot line being followed in the first two movies, that of older martial arts masters taking on singularly gifted students.

Palpatine wasnt “stronger” than yoda nor was yoda “stronger” than palpatine. They are two sides of the same coin, yin and yang, meant to be a balance. The younger yoda lost, as was covered (clumsily) in many ways, because he lost focus on the true nature of things. He lost his balance. Palpatine never cared who won or lost the clone wars. It was irrelevant. He simply wanted to draw the jedi into a conflict they should have never have been in in the first place. He unbalanced them from the light and let them cause their own downfall. That, however, doesn't negate yodas innate strength and mastery of the force. He was palpatines equal all day every day, being the other side of the coin, as it were.

So the list, according to the world lucas made, was vader one, palpatine and yoda sharing a second place as wizened old masters samurai/ninja, followed by their respective students. Luke was so valuable to both sides simply because, as the offspring of someone who was born as a vergance in the force, he would have inherited considerable potential. It is flawed and, once again inconsistent with the established thread of the series, to make kylo (two generations removed) stronger than either his mother (who had never shown more than basic force potential) and had a nonforce sensitive father, and stronger than his grandfather who was the original source of the power, being the result of a vergence in the force.

Again, dont be mad at me for understanding and following along with the plot lines that were established and then, when you try to rewrite them after fact, i call bullshit.

If lucas and disney want to rewrite the starwars universe thats their privilege to do so, and its mine to point out the obvious inconsistencies and lazy slip shod writing.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    But good, god.....Cruella De Vil was a more intimidating villain

Lol exactly so and for good reason! She was consistant in motive and means. Kylo bounces between pure power and purpose (stopping blaster bolts in mid flight) and pure blubbering crybaby antics. I wanted to slap him multiple times. Its inconsistent and never allows you to learn his character. If they wanted to portray him as an up and comer or perhaps not yet completetly sold his soul there were many better ways to do it than make him so inconsistent. Then when you add in a simple stormer trooper reject hangs with him in a lightsaber fight it becomes laughably stupid. Its like, to use your comparison, one of the Dalmatian puppies single handedly beating up cruella, handcuffing her, reading her rights, conducting the prosecution and being the warden for the duration of her prision sentence.

• TD
    TD

Ripley (Sigourney Weaver): I though this character was great. In Alien (1979), she starts off as a warrant officer who can deal with crap thrown her way by Brett and Parker.

So did anybody see this in the theater?

Science fiction movies had been generally campy and low budget up to this point. Even Star Wars, which had a fairly high budget at the time, had some laughable moments.

Nobody was laughing during Alien.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit