Favourite female heroes in film ...

by LoveUniHateExams 88 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

... well, obviously not Rey (Daisy Ridley) from the latest Star Wars films. She's a complete Mary Sue.

But, before Hollywood tried to force SJW propaganda down our throats, there were lots of powerful, legit female characters in film.

Here are some of my favourites ...

Ripley (Sigourney Weaver): I though this character was great. In Alien (1979), she starts off as a warrant officer who can deal with crap thrown her way by Brett and Parker. At one point she says to them "why don't you just fuck off!" So she can stick up for herself. She plays things by the rules, clashing with Captain Dallas. After Dallas is killed, Ripley assumes command and bravely steps up to the situation. She overcomes her fear in the final scene to flush the alien out of the airlock. In Aliens (1986), Ripley overcomes her trauma from previous events to go to LV-426 with the marines. She bonds with Newt and goes back for her. Finally she faces off against the alien queen - and wins!

Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher): in the original trilogy she was a great aim with a blaster and could come up with a plan when in tight situations. She could also look after herself and was not intimidated when confronted by Vader or Tarkin on board the Death Star. So, whenever Han Solo was his roguish self, Leia gave as good as she got.

Nancy Thompson (Heather Langenkamp): in A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Nancy was an ordinary teen who was scared shitless by her dreams and saw the results of the nightmare of her best friend, Tina. But Nancy learned she could pull objects out of her dreams and went to sleep to confront her tormentor, Freddy.

I'm sure there are many more ...

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Agree with you about Ripley LUHE and she did it all by using her brain and figuring things out in minimum costume and make up for the whole movie. Many of todays "girl power yaaay" heroes kick ludicrous amounts of ass in high heels, and/or perfect hair and make up and zero sweat, brains and muscle mass!

As if!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I have always been a big fan of Wonder Woman. I have been a comic collector since I was 4 (although that 1980's Awake! article on comic books made me do it covertly while I was in). I thought the recent Wonder Woman film with Gal Godot was great.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Nurse Betty......................my favorite movie hero/heroine

• TD
    TD

Carrie Ann Moss... (Trinity)

• scotsman
    scotsman

Veronica Sawyer (Winona Ryder), Heathers

Suzanne Pujol (Catherine Deneuve) Potiche

Mildred Pierce (Joan Crawford), Mildred Pierce

Elizabeth (Kate Blanchett), Elizabeth

Alex Forrest (Glenn Close), Fatal Attraction

Imperator Furiosa, (Charlize Theron), Mad Max : Fury Road

Divine, Pink Flamingos

Qui Jou (Gong Li), The Story of Qui Jou

Varla (Tura Satana), Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Michelle (Emmanuelle Seigner) Frantic

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Wow, interesting topic and some good nominees!

I will echo a few: ripley (in aliens 1&2), princes leia is an all time great and especially so in the original sw. i also was going to nominate trinity (td beat me to it) and furiosa (scotsman got that one).

I have another one that im supprised no one mentioned: “the bride” aka Beatrix Kiddo, uma Thurman in kill bill. She absolutely rocked both movies, fought anyone who stood in her way and was reunited with her daughter. She was simply incredible.

another one: Michelle Yeoh who played Shu Lien in “crouching tiger, hidden dragon”. She was PHENOMENAL! She was tough and a true bad ass the whole movie but showed incredible insight in to the mind of a troubled young lady, trying to warn her away from a seemingly glamours life that wasnt what it appeared to be. She also played a great ‘love denied’ aspect with the male lead. Just incredible.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Ripley is the best. Princess Leia did indeed kick Han Solo's butt and always had him off guard.

And now for something decidedly different in a heroine - Anne Elliot in Jane Austen's "Persuasion" 1995 version. Portrayed as weak willed - she was anything but.

The black Panther's General. Funny and can kick butt with the best, Okoye.

And Shuri, the black panther's sister.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I have another one that im supprised no one mentioned: “the bride” aka Beatrix Kiddo, uma Thurman in kill bill - yes, she flashed in my mind just before I read your comment. I couldn't remember the character's name so thanks for reminding me!

My favourite genre is horror so that's where a lot of my comments come from ... sorry about that. XD

I thought Sissy Spacek in Carrie (1976) was a good strong female lead. And I thought Piper Laurie played a good supporting role as the abusive, bible-bashing mother. I sometimes question whether giving Carrie and her fruitloop mother Southern accents was the best choice. If the mother had a regular accent maybe she'd have been more chilling. And of course there's the usual problem with teen horror flicks - the teenage characters are played by actors who are closer to 30 at the time of filming! XD

I think the role of Carrie White is interesting because she kinda goes from protagonist to antagonist.

• Tallon
    Tallon

Not a film, however;

Ziva David (Cote de Pablo) - NCIS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit