“White Privilege”

by minimus 131 Replies latest jw friends

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

1852 Harriet Beecher Stowe (friend of the 8th Duke of Argyll) writes Uncle Tom's Cabin. She is credited with helping fuel the abolitionist cause in the 1850s. In 1855, three years after it was published, it was called "the most popular novel of our day."

The impact attributed to the book is great, reinforced by a story that when Abraham Lincoln met Stowe at the start of the Civil War, Lincoln declared, "So this is the little lady who started this great war."

1865 The end of the Civil War found former Millerites promoting new dates for the Second Coming. George Storrs of Brooklyn, New York, who published the Bible Examiner and was instrumental in forming the Life and Advent Union, focused his followers’ hopes on 1870, while a group headed by N.H. Barbour of Rochester, New York, looked to 1873 or 1874, and published their calculations in Barbour’s periodical the Herald of the Morning. ….Barbour and Storrs were among the Adventist leaders who shaped the thinking of a newcomer to the religious scene, teenager Charles Taze Russell.

Question to consider – did C T Russell associate the Civil War with Bible prophecy? If so the Watchtower, which has caused so much damage, might never have been formed had the Civil War not happened.

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

I saw that Frozen. It was comedy to me. We are living in some alt reality of the onion.

Comedy?!? Surely you jest! Nothing screams sincerity more than seeing highly trained Actors read stuff aloud from a tele-prompter.

• minimus
    minimus

When Hollywood contributes to The Cause, it must be pure and right. They are our social warriors and thank goodness we have them!

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

I am hoping to see Trump send in the 101 or 82 and take back Seattle for people who like law and order. If some rioters get killed its the price of breaking the law.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Privilege is a multi dimensional phenomenon. Every person has some sort of privilege compared to other folks. It's not white vs black.

Blacks have an advantage for playing in the NBA, or Football. They are most likely to succeed as a rapper and many other things.
    Likewise a white upper middle class kid with a stable family probably has an advantage in some sense of having parents that prioritize education and career mindset. Are there more white folks in middle class? Yes, but so what? that has hundreds of years in the making.

Bill Gates' kids have an advantage over countless people, but so do Denzel Washington's kids. If you are poor black person with nearly nothing living in Detroid, you have an advantage over a black kid growing up in a village in Somalia.

You can't regulate advantage. The only thing you can regulate is to have a framework of laws that gives the same opportunity to people.

• e_louise
    e_louise

As I black British woman I am really saddened by your comments but not surprised. All black people worldwide want is equality. Even growing up a JW some brothers would just look down on you because of the colour of my skin. It’s pathetic in 2020 that we treat each different just because of skin colour.

• phoenixrising
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

Louise, I have no issue with equal treatment but this is not what is going on. First off trying to make people feel guilty about something someone did to someone 155 years ago is out and out stupid and assassin. Its history. We can use it to learn form about the good and the bad things the brought us to this point. Blacks have all the rights whites do. There is no white privilege. Again if someone mistreats you because of the color of your skin that is on them not on some perceived privilege I have. MLK once said he looks to the day when people are judged by the content of their character not by the color of their skin. But that is not what is going on in the so called woke leftardism. Many blacks and whites are judging them-self and others by the color of their skin not by the content of their character.

Go out in public in most any town in Englan or the USA and yell I hate Nword and see what will happen. I will bet next years rent that you will not see masses rally around and yell ya me too. In fact its the opposite. If you are black and you think the world is out to get you, you have made yourself a victim. That is on you not me or anyone because of the color of your or my skin. I am not going to take fake responsibility for something that may or may not have happened to your great great great great granddad. Thousands died in the US civil war that was not started over slavery but it did become central in part. No thank you for that. No that would not be right.

Lets be clear. Black communities in may states [not sure about England nor do I really give a shit] are rotten and because of their making it so. Its not the color of the skin its the rot of the culture. Stand up and say this, I am black and a lot of black culture is disgusting and needs to stop the glorification of gangs, thug life, rape murder and misogyny. Stop blaming whites for your bad choices. [I don't know you so maybe not you but certainly many others. ] If the cop in Minneapolis was racist and we don't know that at all then why do blacks judge the rest of white on the basis of what one white did? If that is fair game I can judge all blacks on what Willie Horton did. No not right? Exactly. So stop being a hypocrite and judging whites by the color of their skin. Tell fellow blacks to pull up their pants and turn their ball cap right and stop talking in that BS hood rat ebonics that Al Sharpton can only speak.

You can not ever make up for some injustice that happened to someone who is long dead. And you can not make up for an injustice by being unjust. Its common sense and I know that many liberals have non but thems are the facts.

• Simon
    Simon
    Are there more white folks in middle class? Yes, but so what? that has hundreds of years in the making.

I don't think it is. Anyone can make it and be successful, the formula is a very simple one:

• Complete school
    • Get married
    • Don't have kids (unless you are married)

Do those things and your chances of success in life go up dramatically. It also helps your kids be far less likely to end up dead or in jail.

In fact, this is one of the things that those claiming racism can't explain - how does the systemic racist system not apply itself to those who do these things? If it was all based on skin color, why are they not affected?

Strangely, doing things like committing crime, fighting with the police and such like gets you locked up or shot regardless of color. Again, a weird systemic racist system that seems to be unaffected by skin color.

Almost like it's what you do that matters most in life.

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising

Redvip you are correct. This is not about some perceived injustice. This at the root is about turning a nation or nations to a Marxist fake utopia. A utopia that anyone who studies history knows is bull shit. Marxism does not allow for ideas that do not walk in lock step with the collective. Talk about being a borg member. The left knows never to let tension or a crisis or creating on go to waste. This is straight out of Saul Alinsky play book. The leftist idiots want to destroy big oil and gas under the guise of saving the planet. Shut down big industry under the guise of fair business, Its all designed to destroy the western world as we know it. I hope there are enough people who can see through this bull shit to keep things running straight for a while longer. But in the end I can see the world tearing itself apart. The useful idiots at the helm yelling Zippidy doo da all the way into the cliff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit