Health, fitness and recovery advice

by SecretSlaveClass 53 Replies latest watchtower medical

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    GrreatTeacher
    Does the above chart have any significance regarding losing weight and exercising?
    Sure. It's basically a somatotype chart. Refer to my answer above to KiddingMe.
    I have always heard about pear shape vs. apple shape.
    I'm definitely an apple.
    More like the athletic build on this chart, except I'm not athletic.
    I don't have a waist and I never had much of a waist even when I was thin.
    So, I'm more testosterone influenced according to this chart?

Testosterone has nothing to do with your skeletal structure as far as somatotype per say. Where testosterone affects the skeleton are when you reach puberty and begin to increase the production of sex hormones and again later in life when your sex hormones decrease. Once sex hormones reach "adult" level, the signal to the bone growth process is "stop growing, you're an adult now." The bones growth plates seal and the bones cease to grow in length. But the size and density of bones don't affect sex hormone levels, rather it's the other way round. You can be an endomorph and have a high free testosterone count and have a Mesomorph structure with a low count. Healthy levels of sex hormones result in strong bones, low level else have the opposite effect. Hence the effects of low estrogen levels can be seen in post menopausal women who are prone to loss of bone density (osteoporosis). Testosterone is a primary component for building muscle however, and people who have higher levels, regardless of somatotype are prone to building bigger, stronger muscles than those with lower levels of testosterone.
    What does that mean regarding working out?

As explained, skeletal structure does not dictate how much free testosterone you have available. But if you had higher than normal levels, you would get bigger stronger muscles and burn fat faster.
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Joyfulfader

Congratulations! I love reading success stories like yours. Good luck with the bikini contest!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Thank you, SSS, again. My tablet died and it has taken 2 days to wrestle the computer from my son!

I have recently been reading up on longevity factors surrounding my bipolar disorder. Discouragingly, I found a study that indicated that those with bipolar disorder live about 9 (!) years less than those without it, but there was no indication that it was a direct correlation, in other words, it wasn't the bipolar disorder that was causing the shorter lifespan.

They rather thought it might be other health and lifestyle factors that get ignored when fighting the disease on a daily basis. For example, not getting screening and taking appropriate action on other preventable illnesses like diabetes, cancer, and maintaining general health and fitness since the psychiatric drugs are known to cause both weight gain and metabolism troubles.

Two things struck me about this. First, that statistic sucks! That would have me up and dying right about the time I retire. I want to be here for my son as long as possible.

Secondly, that those factors are within my ability to control, as least partially. I'm 44 years old and I need to start doing some preventive screening, like mammograms and blood sugar testing, both of which I've done, but not consistently.

Also, even if my medication makes me ravenous and can affect blood sugar levels, it's no excuse to not clean up my eating and eat healthily. I've gotten into bad habits. I've been monitoring what's been going into my mouth and it isn't healthful, by and large. My medicine makes me hungry, I know I shouldn't eat, but I eat something just to shut my stomach up and it's usually carbs. I've actually been monitoring my eating and asking myself why? and what I've come up with is that healthy food takes longer to eat and I need to eat more (of, say, salad) to fill up and it feels like I'm eating too much! My head is a scary place! This is a terrible, terrible cycle.

I need to get some common sense smacked into my head. I need to evaluate food on its nutrition merits. I need to start measuring portion sizes. I need to start counting calories. I need to exercise, even if it's just to get outside and take a walk on a sunny day.

I need to take action because I'm middle-aged and my joints are starting to hurt, I'm overweight and I don't feel like I'm aging well. I don't want to retire and drop dead the next day.

And I need to do all this while still fighting the bipolar disorder. Because that isn't going away.

Thanks, SSS, for this thread and all your knowledge and advice. This forum is wonderful because everyone shares of their talents so willingly. I believe I've just been inspired.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Firstly, there is a reason you crave carbs over say, vegetables. Your brain is hard wired for carbs because it is the essential food for survival and In modern society sources of tasty carbohydrates are so readily available. The combination of the two doesn't make things easier when trying to regulate our caloric intake. Carbohydrates are the predominant causes of obesity, not fats like so many people are inclined to think. Add fat and salt to that and we have a major issue on our hands, and this is exactly what fast food combines by design.

You don't even have to make salads. Eat a piece of low glycemic fruit (like a banana) or carrots, celery and other ready to snack healthy choices and feel free to dip them in a tasty low fat dressing of your choice. You can eat celery till you pop and would have barely taken in 20 calories! Also as I've mentioned before, get in the habit of preparing extra healthy food for the days ahead so you can reach for that whenever you feel pressed for time.

I recommended the MyFitnessPal app for iPhone and Android before, I'll recommend it here again. It has the calories, fat, fiber, carbohydrates and protein values listed of almost every food on the planet and can track your daily intake. Had a bowl Kelogs Corn Flakes? Just open the app, scan the the box label and it records a serving along with all the nutritional information. So easy! All my clients use it.

Im glad you're treating you BP disorder and are conscious of your intake at the same time, I'm proud of you. Keep at it and it will pay dividends, I promise!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit