Health, fitness and recovery advice

by SecretSlaveClass 53 Replies latest watchtower medical

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Thanks LisaRose for your input. You wrote about this in the other thread and it resonated within me when I read it. It's hard for me to try to find that right balance. I've always been the all or nothing type, which is not working for me. As you saud it's about lifestyle changes for the long term. I need to let that sink in.

SSS- thank you! What you say makes alot of sense. I sent a PM with my vital statistics. I'm looking forward to making adjustments in my current routine.

I thought the thick bone structure was a myth or excuse that some used. From googling the term, it looks like I'm of a thick bone structure. I never thought this the case, just overweight. Is it really about the "bone" structure or those more prone to store body as oppose to those with a more muscular build? Are they same? Can the bone structure change overtime? I feel like once i get rid of the fat, i would no longer look like the big bone structure but somewhere in between the big and fine types? If that makes any sense? I guess I'm trying understand what defines bone structure, weight, muscles, etc?

• GrreatTeacher
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Does the above chart have any significance regarding losing weight and exercising?

I have always heard about pear shape vs. apple shape.

I'm definitely an apple.

More like the athletic build on this chart, except I'm not athletic.

I don't have a waist and I never had much of a waist even when I was thin.

So, I'm more testosterone influenced according to this chart?

What does that mean regarding working out?

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    now then dickhead
  • Richard C B
    Richard C B
    only joking lol
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

KiddingMe

I thought the thick bone structure was a myth or excuse that some used.

Not a myth at all although some do use it as an excuse for being fat.

From googling the term, it looks like I'm of a thick bone structure. I never thought this the case, just overweight.

I prefer the term "over fat", since having a high body fat percentage is the problem, not weight

Is it really about the "bone" structure or those more prone to store body as oppose to those with a more muscular build? Are they same?

When I refer to somatotypes there are three basic types:

Endomorph- large bones, hips as wide or wider than shoulders and the most prone of the three somatotypes to gaining body fat.

Mesomorph- Medium bones, broad shoulders, narrow hips, gain muscles faster than the other two somatotypes but more prone to gaining body fat than an ectomorph.

Ectomorph- light bone structure, narrow to shoulders and hips, struggles to gain both muscle and body fat.

Very few people are a pure somatotype. Most people are a combination of two or more somatotypes. You could have the bone structure of an ectomorph but have the ability to gain fat like an endomorph or muscle like a Mesomorph. It's more complex than this explanation but my intention is to simply give you a basic understanding of how skeletal structures are used as a general frame of reference when taking body weight and gains into account.

Can the bone structure change overtime?

Arrangement does not change, but structure can and does as we age, suffer injury or become victims of some diseases.

I feel like once i get rid of the fat, i would no longer look like the big bone structure but somewhere in between the big and fine types? If that makes any sense? I guess I'm trying understand what defines bone structure, weight, muscles, etc?

Bone density and proportion generally define somatotype classification. As I mentioned, it's more complex than that but suffices as a general frame of reference. Other than that I'm not quite sure what your last question is asking.

• Heaven
    Heaven

So I ran down to get the mail after work today. Now I have to sit and and pay Dad's bills.

As for the Pear Shape...

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Well I am definitely a classic mesomorph, good to know. I don't know if I would be your perfect client Secret Slave, I still have a long way to go, but I am sure you would get me there a lot faster.

I gained thirty pounds from the medication I was taking, and I was somewhat overweight already. After getting off the medication I've been able to lose twenty of it and I know I can get the last ten off, then I will see how it goes. My goal is to be healthy, being skinny is not as important to me and I don't care how long it takes. I am 5' 3" with a medium frame, I will probably end up in the 130-140 range. At my age you need a little fat to fill out those wrinkles, lol.

Kidding me, I was an all or nothing type too, so I get it. My illness forced me to be smarter and now I can see it's the only way to go. When people see you looking good they won't care of it took you a year, two years or six months to get that way, so just hold on to you goal and forget the time table. I've worked through injuries and multiple bouts of illness, because I can adjust, slow down but not give up. I don't know what clicked for me that I couldn't do this before, I think I just got mad because everyone started acting like I should just give up, like it was over for me and I just wasn't having it. It just made me more determined to prove I could do it. There is a lady who sells at my antique mall that is in her eighties, so I have no excuse to give up on anything.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    My schedule is so all over the map it's not funny. My job is pretty stressful and time consuming. I find if I get my exercise routine stopped I don't get back to it. Sometimes I have stressful situations for months at a time at work. Other times I am not very busy at all. I don't have a regular schedule where 30 minutes of free time is available to me consistently to do some fun kind of exercises - you know the enjoyable things like you mentioned and of course, horseback riding which is really more like a 4 hour minimum thing.

Wow! Heavan that sounds rough. I used to work in a group called "trouble management", so I get it. Those auditors would puzzle over a potential problem all day then open a ticket at 5:00 pm so they could go home, meaning I had to stay and fix it, with big money on the line, the clock was ticking. I liked the adrenaline rush, but it took a toll.

You might want to consider if carving out some time for exercise, even if it's five or ten minutes here or there, might make you able to work more effectively and be well worth the time investment. Sometimes when people are stressed they work more as a coping mechanism, as it gets your mind off other things. It then becomes a vicious cycle as you get stressed from working too much. Sometimes you have to step away from the situation for a bit to see potential solutions, maybe you could delegate or do something else to lighten the load. Everyone has their limits and while it's good to to feel needed, sometimes you have to say no. I don't know your particular situation, but just something to think about from a former workaholic.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

This is my experience and may not be for everyone. i did a 6 week weight loss challenge last summer and lost 24 lbs. i thought i only needed to lose 15 but the 24 did wonders for my high blood pressure and high cholesterol (and my figure). Perhaps my situation is not typical but this worked and continues to work for me but it requires that i have some self control as well as strong motivation.

After i lost the 24 lbs i felt great and though "what am i going to do next?" i continued my HIIT (high intensity interval training) and realized i wanted more noticeable results. I had changed my eating habits and begun eating healthy proteins, low fats and complex carbs. i noticed such a difference in my life by maintaining good nutrition with an active workout schedule.

My problems began when i began switching careers into sales. i had 2 jobs and was working 70 hours per week...not very conducive to a consistent workout schedule. i decided to hire a trainer 2 days per week in my home as i have a full gym. While my schedule remains extremely busy, i am very diligent about my diet and my workouts despite my crazy hours (some 14-16 hr shifts). I have to change times constantly to correspond with my schedule. Having a home gym is a blessing and a curse as it is convenient but it is not always easy to motivate myself after a 12 or 14 hour day. i have chosen to do what i can without causing exhaustion which means i cannot always do all 5 weekly workouts.

i have a food list that i concentrate on...its not a diet, just a lifestyle change and i eat 6 times per day to make sure i have the calories and protein to sustain my workouts.

i am 43 and am training for a bikini fitness competition in July. It is local just to get my feet wet but over the past several months i realized that even working so many hours, i can squeeze in my workouts more often than not. i am not able to fit them all in but i do my best and i stick to my food plan. i find that i am not interested in eating junk.This took time and effort and determination as well as commitment. Because of this i see amazing results. i love how i look in clothes and even a bikini...a huge plus.

A busy schedule can be a deterrent but it doesn't have to be. i still work 60-70 hrs per week, have a daughter as a single mom and have a 3000 sq ft house to care for as well as a third of an acre. i don't always get it all done and it can be stressful and i do get overwhelmed at times but it can be done. I see amazing things happening with my body and i love it. i can walk down the beach with 20 year olds and not feel a bit of intimidation.

I know how hard it is to fit it all in but fitness is possible. i know not everyone wants to train for bikini competition (those bikinis and heels are actually scaring me...) but it is possible to fit in some effective workouts for more moderate changes.

i wish everyone great success in their endeavors toward better heath and fitness. i don't mind sharing some of the things i have learned along the way so message me if you would like to know :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit