Health, fitness and recovery advice

by SecretSlaveClass 53 Replies latest watchtower medical

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

I hope this is okay with you Simon, but since I've noticed the number of forum members looking to discuss or seek advice on various health issues I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to this topic alone. Any discussions or advice on these matters could be put here where any and all would be welcome to jump in with any help they could offer. Thanks!

I am working on the first questions at the moment taken from the Cognac/Morpheus weight loss thread. Stay tuned ...

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Great op!
  • Magnum
    Magnum

I read a lot of the stuff you posted on the Cognac/Morpheus thread and found it to be really informative. It makes sense.

I've got a question I've been wanting an answer to for at least a year. Over 30 years ago, I did some weight training, and it made me feel and look so much better. Then along came JWdom and I sacrificed my body to the org.

I now feel like a slug and am about to start some strength training (weights, dips, etc.), but I also want and need to do some cardio/aerobic exercise. I don't really want to run, and I remember reading some negative stuff (I think from you) about it on the other thread.

My wife and I have been strongly considering buying either a treadmill or an elliptical trainer. Do you recommend one over the other? Or do you recommend getting both? Or do you recommend something entirely different for cardio?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Noice! Thanks SSC!
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Rebelfighter:
    Here is my question I am confused because I am getting mixed messages from my doctors. Three months ago I saw my primmontary care Dr for my 6 month check up. She said all of your numbers are great but I am not at all happy you have lost another 20 lbs. Why so much, what are you, a whole bunch of questions........ I want you back in 3 months with zero weight loss. This was not easy to accomplish I ended up having to add muffins to my diet to stop the weight loss.

Do you perhaps any idea what caused the weight loss? A change in appetite when you were put on a new medication for example? For future reference, should,you need to gain wait try to get your calories from backed potatoes, yams or fruit although a couple of muffins here never hurt anyone, particularly if they are bran with nuts, raisins etc.

So I went back this Monday she was very happy to see zero weight loss. Now she says moderate weight loss only. Then 3 days later I go to see the neurologist who actually I had not seen in about 9 months. He lectured me about getting on an exercise program and proper diet and losing some weight. Over the last 5 years I have lost about close to 90 pounds just by diet and exercise.
    What is moderate weight loss in 3 months?

How much did you weigh before your weight loss? Losing 90lbs over a period of two years equates to losing roughly 4lbs a month, which is excellent and not shocking by any means, in fact it's a very realistic goal to set. However if your intention was not to lose all that weight, then that could suggest a potential problem. Otherwise, good job!

Does your confusion stem from one doctor prescribing moderate weight loss while the other making it seem you needed to shed weight urgently? Did either of them state what sort of weight loss goal they had in mind? Moderate weight loss would generally be around the 2lb-3lb a month mark.

What is truly confusing is her being alarmed at your weight loss - which in my opinion was not an extraordinary amount of loss in the given time frame - then asking you to continue moderate weight loss which was slightly above moderate to begin with!

So the answer is around 2lb a month may satisfy both. Also, ask them if the two of them converse with each other. Ideally all your doctors should stay in touch with each other. This way they can work together on solving you health issues, not to mention accidentally prescribing a medication which could suggest serious contraindications with a medication prescribed by one of the others. This should be common sense and standard procedure to them but all to often this is not the case.

Hop this helped. If you would like anymore help, please ask.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

dubsteppeda day ago

I work physically every day in our cleaning business. My wife and I clean houses, and I clean the bathrooms in all of them, and get out at times to do some vacuuming or dusting or whatever, but most of my time is spent in the bathrooms. I've had fitness trackers in the past, and my wife gets lots of steps because she is moving from room to room while I'm typically in one room for a while, then another for a while, floating from bathroom to bathroom. So although I'm on my feet all day, my movements are a couple of steps here, a couple of steps there, and lots of bending and scrubbing.
    I know that I need to get some cardio in, and I would love to do some resistance training. However, at the end of a long day or week I'm just shot. I often run myself down to the point where I get colds or whatever.
    I'm naturally a low energy guy anyway. I'll work my tail off while at work but when it's done, I'm done. Depression seems to be a baseline in my family of origin and I do far more than anyone in my family that I know, but it is always a fight.
    So, if a person like me is working physically and getting run down, will putting dedicated exercise on top of it give me more energy or just run me down faster?

Not at all. Moderate exercise combing resistance training and aerobics should increase your energy level. This works in two ways - physically and psychologically. Physically it ramps up your metabolism, increases testosterone levels, combats cortisols produced by stress, prevents "sugar crashes" by normalizing glucose levels and a host of other benefits. Psychologically some of the benefits among others are but not limited to:

1) Increases in norepinephrine which helps the brain cancer meat the effects of stress

2) The release of the "happy" hormones, endorphins. Endorphins or responsible for that lovely feeling of euphoria.

3) The physical changes exercise causes over time help you feel sexy and increase your self esteem.

4) Exercise boosts chemicals in the brain which support and prevent degeneration of the hippocampus, a part of the brain responsible for memory and learning.

We spent 18 months working 6-7 hours a week, 10-16 hour days at times, while paying off debt a couple of years ago. I know I can move more because I did it when I had to, but it didn't make me feel any better and ran me down further.

Although this is exercise, it is in the form of labor and not regenerative exercise which have two very different effects physiologically.

I'll be 39 in August, and I'd like to be in better shape going into 40 than I was going into 30 a decade ago, which is possible, I think. I just don't know if adding exercise to a body that already gets run down is going to help or hurt, or if there's something else I should be doing.

I guarantee you adding exercise will help as you can see from just a few benefits stated above. Also try doing exercise outside. Your work involves physical activity indoors so exercising outside may help you tremendously in a psychological sense since your brain may not necessarily associate one with the other.

The only other thing I would add is trying to eat as healthy as possible given your sometimes odd work hours. Try to prepare healthy meals for a few days at a time whenever you have the spare time so you'll find it hard to justify buying take-out whenever you don't have the time to go home or a good restaurant when you're pressed for time.

Also: take supplemental vitamin E and C to help combat those nasty stress hormones.

If you have anymore questions, please ask.

And thanks for the kind words of encouragement folks. It's one of the things I love about this forum, so many of us have and love the opportunity to help each other.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

The total weight loss was over 5 years. But the concern was because in 6 months I did lose another 20 lbs and that was due to a massive renovation of a 2,000 Sq ft house that I bought. And it passed zero parts of the home inspection. In 60 days we passed all 4 points of the inspection. I am doing almost all the work by myself. Prior owner also painted interior with dark brown exterior paint. I have moved all the furniture in this house 3X. This maybe why I lost 20 lbs. Lol.

I suffer from sever migraines which effects my eating habits, after each headache it will take 3 weeks to regain my appetite. Medications, I only take Topamax 350mg to control my migraines, 1 baby aspirin, vitamin D. That is it. At 65 that is not bad. Until I took on this renovation I was walking 4 miles a day but figured all the ladder climbing, plumbing, replacing walls etc would take place of walking for a while.

I also run after my 2 grandchildren 5 days a week they are 28 months and 21 months 5 days a week for 10 hours.

• cofty
    cofty

SSC great to see some realistic and accurate health and fitness information.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Magnum:
    I now feel like a slug and am about to start some strength training (weights, dips, etc.), but I also want and need to do some cardio/aerobic exercise. I don't really want to run, and I remember reading some negative stuff (I think from you) about it on the other thread.

I'm not fanatically opposed to running. For example a few sets of shuttle sprints (set up two points 25yds apart, sprint to and around one point and back to the start, rest until your heart rate drops back into its fat burning zone then repeat) for four to six sets is an excellent way to turbo burn calories in a short amount of time, stimulate fast twitch fibers and recruit every muscle on your body while subjecting your joints to a limited amount of impact in a short time. Extended periods of running on the other hand subjects joints and connective tissues to long periods of stress and strain. Endurance racing like marathons causes rhabdomyolysis (the severe destruction of muscle tissue) and there are additional issues like increasing ketones and myoglobin which damages kidneys and can cause renal failure. Large boned people (endomorphs) in particular should stay away from running - every time I see large people running marathons I can't help but grimace.

My wife and I have been strongly considering buying either a treadmill or an elliptical trainer. Do you recommend one over the other? Or do you recommend getting both? Or do you recommend something entirely different for cardio?

I would recommend an elliptical trainer simply for the minimal impact it has on joints and connective tissues. But it is not necessary to have either for cardio/aerobic goals. Resistance training alone can be used for this purpose by simply increasing intensity and keeping the intensity where your heart rate remains within the cardio target zone (roughly 70-75% of your maximum heart rate).

Hope this helps. Just ask if you need anymore help.

Cofty:

Thank you. That's how I feel about your evolution threads.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Sorry this line is all wrong. A combination of auto spell and poor proof reading on my part.

1) Increases in norepinephrine which helps the brain cancer meat the effects of stress

It should have read:

1) Increases in norepinephrine which helps the brain combat the effects of stress

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit