Health, fitness and recovery advice

by SecretSlaveClass 53 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Magnum
    Magnum

Thanks a bunch! I agree with Cofty. Your advice really seems to be based on fact and science and not faddish, outlandish, unscientific stuff.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I have to agree about the benefits of starting to work out again. My wife and I started going to a local community-center gym once a week. We go on nights where it is not so crowded. On Tuesday and Thursday there are maybe 10 other people there and we pay about $2-3 per visit. If we want to buy a card, we can reduce that to about $1.

My wife mostly does cardio but will probably start doing some light weight work soon. I do about 50/50. I am 59 and my wife is older. We both feel great when we come back and after a shower, it often leads to other things. We are both still in decent shape, but want to get the metabolism going. I spend too much time in front of a computer (for work) and want to get flexible again...

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Magnum:

Indeed. Unfortunately the health and fitness industry is packed with what I call the "tripple F" - fake, fraud and fad. It stands to reason since it's a multi billion dollar a year business in the US alone so every scam artist under the sun is looking to cash in on the gullible and uninformed much to the detriment of their health and wallet. It doesn't just irritate me, it makes my blood boil. These charlatans are misdirecting all those in need of help in their greedy direction. The FDA just don't have the resources to focus on these rotten apples unfortunately.

FadeToBlack:

Try setting your cell phone timer to go off every 30-40 minutes. Stand up from your desk and do some passive stretches (not forcing the stretches). Simply keeping your legs straight and letting your torso dangle with your hands towards the floor for two minutes then stretching up towards the ceiling with outstretched arms, imagining you're trying to touch the ceiling while standing on the tips of your toes, then clasp both hands behind your back and go into a low squat while trying to raise your joined arms up behind you will stretch every muscle in your body. Do each stretch semester for about 30 seconds. Repeat every day and I guarantee you will see noticeable results within two weeks.

As a side note, stretching doesn't only allow for supple muscles and connective tissues, but also a nice, elastic Hepatic portal system!

Rebelfighter:

Sorry to read you suffer from something so debilitating. Have they figured out the cause of the migraines or have they simply chosen to treat the symptoms?

In your case should you decide to begin resistance training, I would only do very light weights with high repetitions until the muscles feel fatigues, but not sore! I would also highly recommend moderate walking and looking into yoga (not any of the many types of transcendental yoga). You can easily teach yourself by watching some excellent YouTube videos or reading highly recommended beginners books on the subject.

Whenever you feel that loss of appetite, try making yourself a protein smoothie with one of the excellent whey protein brands, your favorite fruit and skim milk. No matter how put off eating you are, it's hard to resist a delicious smoothie!

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    Thanks for the stretching tips. We have a balcony just outside so I will try to go out there more frequently. Now that the weather is nice, I also go for a good after-lunch walk. As a bonus, there are some free standing exercise machines in the park.
  • LV101
    LV101

Having issues with my "have your say . . ." posts linking.

Great topic, SSC! I have a questions but going to see if this posts.

• LV101
    LV101

SSC - Appreciate your info re/running. I have a couple of marathon runner/lifetime friends who are so addicted but some good vitals - one has high blood pressure and I couldn't understand why.

Do you think walking 30 min a day is too much repetitive - it really helps get in those 10,000 steps Dr. Oz recommends. I don't have time for gym right now - I know it's not a good excuse but trying to walk at night.

Cofty and his SCI/evolution class is such a gift to us onboard - we are so fortunate although it hurts my brain! Science education really helps us determine reality and we have so many brainiacs here that share so much.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

SSC,

We know what causes my migraines. I have had them all my life and I just live them, we just are trying to control the level of them. The cause we also know stress, environment, fragrance, chemicals, some foods (beans, yogurt, dark cheeses, wines, processed foods, etc), dyes and the list goes on. My kids call my house the free and clear zone. LOL.

I like your suggestion on the exercise and will start looking for some to try.

Smoothies maybe tempting. Thanks for the advice.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

LV101:

Walking briskly for 30 minutes a day is fine for burning excess calories and staying healthy. To burn extra calories and make that cardiovascular system optimal you could make things more interesting too by walking different hills, up stairs and for fun and put some emphasis on different muscle groups, walk backwards. It may sound silly, but it challenges different muscle groups by changing the focus of workload. It will also do wonders for improving your sense of balance.

I doubt your friend's high blood pressure has anything to do with running. Marathon runners in general usually have excellent vitals. It's for the reasons I stated before that I don't recommend marathon running. Another aspect of the risks are often that the damage caused by marathon or endurance running is cumulative and are only made manifest years later, others are more immediate. But endurance running is not a good idea at any rate if he already has a pre-existing problem with BP. Hypertension is one of the very symptoms which kill marathon runners, particularly those who are over the age of 60 with a second cardiac problem like atherosclerosis or coronary artery disease. The truth is though, very few marathon runners ever die of heart failure - statistics show this very clearly.

• Simon
    Simon

Great idea. The isolation and depression that the WTS can inflict on people can often feed into real health and fitness issues.

I think you can't beat basic walking and hiking for both body and mind benefits and improvement.

• kaik
    kaik
    I was used to be in excellent shape and used to work out regularly. I even trained for marathon. However, past two years I had to skip a gym all together due job and doing my masters in full time. It was coming to priorities. I will be back in gym. I find http://forum.bodybuilding.com to be a great website with good tips on exercises.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit