Health, fitness and recovery advice

by SecretSlaveClass 53 Replies latest watchtower medical

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Great idea. The isolation and depression that the WTS can inflict on people can often feed into real health and fitness issues.

I think you can't beat basic walking and hiking for both body and mind benefits and improvement.

Thank you. And yes walking and swimming carry no risk with them unless your heart condition is bad even mild exercise could prove lethal, in which case medication is usually used to get the patient to the point of health where exercise is possible (like Lipitor). Of course you could also drown😜

But on weekends hiking and mountain biking are always my first choice of exercises.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I would love a fitness section. I'm cleaning the garage in preparation for some "Dinosaur Training", so I'm going to have some questions.

Historically, I've always been fit, but I have not had a scheduled routine for about 10 years. I work hard physically to earn my pay, but it's not the same as working out. Work can begin to cause injuries through repetition, and muscle groups are neglected. Also, I'm over 40, with injuries.

It would be nice to have a place to go for advice and a place to share knowledge and concepts.

DD

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

How do you work out abdominal muscles when you have a lower spine fusion and are advised not to do sit ups anymore?

My husband has been doing lots of physical therapy and can work out his arms, but he can't figure out an effective stomach toning exercise.

He used to be a runner and now I'm wondering whether that damaged his spine as was mentioned. He's a big guy.Always healthy and muscular, except his spine is just crumbling. He's only 46. He had his fusion 4 years ago and just had a recent exacerbation.

He's working on core muscle strength now to support and take pressure off the spine. Any ideas on good exercises?

Also, he cycles. When he's curled over on his racing bike, it doesn't hurt his spine. But, he hasn't been able to get out over the winter.

He swims in the summer, too, but the pool is not open, yet.

What about supplements? Calcium? Can you still improve bone strength and density in your 40s?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

GreatTeacher,

I'm no expert, but planks are good for the abs. Never do anything that causes pain, in my option. Muscular discomfort is different than pain.

DD

• Heaven
    Heaven

I need a different job. I sit anywhere from 9 to 16 hours a day at a desk and I work from home.

I didn't used to. My last job had a physical component to it installing and uninstalling mainframe computers in the office. Now I perform an admin type job because they disbanded the team I was on and moved the workload elsewhere.

I have very little time to exercise. I love to walk and hike, garden, ride my bike, and ride horses but my job cuts into my personal time far too much these days. Oh, and 2 people left my team and another person from the department. Now it's just me on the team and I'm picking up even more work from the 3rd person who left. Sometimes I sit for hours without getting up and moving. Some days I don't get lunch. I gotta retire and get a better job.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Thanks for the advice SSC! I'm going to see what I can incorporate into my days and try to get some exercise plan going. Funny you should talk about hiking. We just went today:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/shemwelljr/P1050309_zpsqa0hkll7.jpg

• DJS
    DJS
    Great stuff SSC. Thank you
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Thanks, Data. Stupid question, but do you do planks on your stomach?

What are the rules? Do you just randomly perch on something?

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

GrreatTeacher:

Planking works the entire core muscle group as well as most of your other muscle groups as stabilizers. It definitely helps build a strong core. However, because planking requires your legs and torso be stretched out and suspended between your two extended anchor points, there is no support for your back and if you have weak abdominal strength to begin with, you will not even have their support in keeping a straight spine, so I do not recommend planking for spinal injuries.

Rather lie on your back so your spine is firmly supported and do bent knee leg raises for your lower abdominal wall or hanging leg raises but be sure to tilt your pelvis upwards only slightly. For the upper abdomen do "cheat" crunches. This involves lying on your back, folding your arms across your chest, bending your knees with your feet planted firmly on the ground. Now lift your scapulae off the ground no more than two or three inches in a slight curling motion, exhale and concentrate on squeezing your abdominal muscles and hold the position for three seconds, relax letting your scapulae drop back down to the ground as you inhaleso your entire upper body is in full contact with the ground. Repeat.

You can google or YouTube these exercises to get a complete picture on the correct form for performing these exercises.

Calcium carbonate is king as far as bone supplements go. Glucosamine will help slow down cartilage and disk wear and tear. It is possible to increase bone density right up until your 70's with moderate resistance exercises.

Is it his actual vertebrae that are deteriorating?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Yes. Though it was the herniated disks that caused the injury, the vertebrae have been compressed into a shape where the edges are flared up at the top and bottom. He has titanium rods drilled through 3 vertebrae

Also bone spurs and spinal stenosis which is bone growth that is obstructing the spinal canal and putting pressure on nerves. Sometimes these are the nerves that go down his legs and a legs goes numb or a foot goes numb. Before his surgery he would sometimes just fall down when both legs suddenly went numb.He takes Neurontin for the nerve pain.

It remits occasionally, but then the pain surges back as bad as the original injury at times. They can't figure it out.

He's trying to get a 2nd opinion from a doctor that goes into the spinal canal and clears out bone spurs as a revision surgery, but workers comp is fighting that.

The man recovered from his back surgery and within a year had completed a 100 mile bike ride. He has a racing bike with the clip in pedals and everything.

He's getting depressed, though, that this appears to be a chronic and deteriorating condition.

Oh, and he climbs telephone poles for a living. He's off on workers comp right now. The original injury was a twisting motion as he tripped of the back of his truck. He did not fall on the ground, but that twisting motion messed up something and he had immediate pain.

He's afraid the company is going to declare him disabled and trying to get him on SSI disability which is a pittance and would not allow him to work for the rest of his life. He is not ready for that at age 46.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit