I passed my exam ! (... but 4 more to go)

by Simon 43 Replies latest jw friends

• acsot
    acsot

I haven't the slightest idea what you're even talking about, but it sounds complicated and very impressive.

Congratulations!!

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

WOW, congratulations Simon!!!

hehe @ pretty face. Yeah I saw your reply, Angharad!!

Hope you get it done in time to party when you guys come over!!

j2bf

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Congrats, Simon!

I'm working on my realtor license for myself as well. Happy studying!

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Congrats Simon

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Simon: Way to go! I love programming but only do it as a hobby. I have taken some MCSE certification exams, but I don't have much respect for them so I only took the minimum required so that our IT group could be an MS Certified Partner.

Utopian: I also believe in variety! I advocate the use of Linux for certain server duties. (I'm a Debian guy myself.)

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

WELL DONE, SIMON!

Spanner

• talesin
    talesin

Congratulations, Simon, Well Done!

I have a friend who's slogging through as well. It's a lotta work.

Yr coming to Canada? That's great news.

(rolling out the red carpet...)

Hope you make a stop in NS, maybe you'll decide to settle here. Lotsa room to breathe here. (great beer, too)

tal

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Simon will tell you that these certifications can become very expensive. Between classroom costs, materials and exams, you could feasibly spend 20% of the "high tech" salary on the process of re-training.

I have joined computer book clubs to save 20% - 30% in costs. I have purchased classroom training vouchers. I have shared/borrowed materials when necessary to complete exam requirements. It can easily turn into an 800 pound gorilla.

The vendors in the industry are always competing and trying to diversify their technology with an air of exclusivity. Sometimes, it is like a club of overgrown boy scouts touting badges and medals for attention, approval and assignments.

It's funny, I used to hate that about the Marine Corps. I hated it in the Borg, and now once again, I need acronyms and initials to flaunt credentials, or I have no credibility.

It never ends. It is a lot of fun in the beginning, but years later the pressure to upgrade and maintain the initials can be relentless. I receive a free subscription to Certification Magazine every month, and last month's issue featured a man who is applying to the Guiness Book of Records for having the most current IT certifications. He had 43 of them, mostly Compaq, HP and Microsoft. But he did have a few Cisco, Novell, and RedHat. I don't know how he is able to keep all of those programs up to date.

At the rate that materials and exams change, it is frustrating when you spend a few hundred dollars on training materials, and then the vendor makes impromptu changes.

I purchased the entire library from TestOut to update my MCSE, A+, Net+ and a few others. I am supposed to receive the WIN2003 MCSE free of charge in November. We'll see how it goes.

• rem
    rem

I failed my CCIE written a few months back. Lost interest in it. I'm not really a cert guy... but it might hurt me if I lose my job. I'm just glad I have a really good reputation in the Bay Area and the big guys like Cisco, Intel, MS, etc. are my clients.

rem

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Wow REM!

CCIE is like having a pass to the IT Valhalla! Sorry you didn't make it this time. I know that having instructors destroy a lab network and then having a short time to find the errors and make repairs must be extremely difficult.

CCNA was pretty easy since most of it was a review. But, I would need a year off to be satisfied in my pursuit of a CCIE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit