Trekkies will not inherit the kingdom of God....

by drwtsn32 62 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

What I can't believe are the number of posts that are taking this as an actual article from the Awake! magazine.

Has anybody ever heard the word, spoof?

The first time I saw this article was in the early 90's on the old "Free Zone" website (boy do I miss that site, very friendly, lots of articles).

There was also a "Questions from Readers" about if it was appropriate for Witnesses to own cats, which was in the same vein.

I must admit that the spoof is so good at aping a typical Awake article, that it feels like the real thing, but sorry folks; The society has condemned comic books, chess, Dungeons and Dragons, E.T., movies which feature supernatural characters, video games, the internet, and they have written articles on how fantasy places like Disneyland cannot bring lasting happiness (well, DUH!), but I have never seen a genuine, specific article targeting Star Trek.

Always check your source before accepting it as fact. A good rule of thumb for anything on the Internet...

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Good caution, Captain... always a good idea to check the sources.

In this case, however, they check out 100%. The quote is in the Watchtower Library. I can provide a screenshot if anyone is willing to host it.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Always check your source before accepting it as fact. A good rule of thumb for anything on the Internet...

What?! You doubt my integrity? You are deserving of 1,000 lashes!!

I found this quote in the Watchtower Library. Check it out for yourself.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Good idea, Euphemism. Here's a screen shot of Watchtower Library for you sinners who doubt!

• obiwan
    obiwan

Now someone should talk to them about the klingon rapped around uranus!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

obiwan: I am here to try and expand your vocabulary. Please repeat after me... din-gle-ber-ry:

Check out the definition here: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=dingleberry

• obiwan
    obiwan

I'll take definition two...fits'em to a T.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Whoops!!!!

I guess I better listen to my own advice next time!

I really thought you were quoting from a faked Young People Ask.. article from a while back called "Should I watch Star Trek?"

They had a sentence in there about "Christian Youths" shocking their parents by speaking Klingon.

I guess the society had to play catch-up at that point, and write the real thing.

Depressing. I knew a family that the parents restricted the kids from watching things like Star Wars, made them the primo examples in the Hall, and the second they came of age, Kablooie! All of them went into unrestrained behavior. When will they ever learn?

• Piph
    Piph
    hey dr did you know theyre going to do a "Trekkies 2"? apparently part of it was filmed here in sacramento!

I LOVE the movie Trekkies! I have the video at home, actually. I'm a pretty avid Trekkie. I've only learned one phrase in Klingon though. ;) That totally thrills me that they're making a second one! :-D

Yeah...another avid Trek fan and I watched Trekkies together...we both got all choked up and cried during parts...that's how pathetic we are!

I thought I remembered something about the Society disapproving of learning Klingon...I didn't remember it being so pointed though! Geez!

By the way, it's great to see you here, AnnOMaly! :)

• Francois
    Francois

I wonder how the Borg feels about Esperanto. That's a made up language for sure. In fact, most languages are synthesized from two or more other languages. It's a waste of time discussing anything with the Borg for more than fifteen or twenty minutes. That's all it takes to get it so broken up in their thinking process there is no further hope of recovery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit