Trekkies will not inherit the kingdom of God....

by drwtsn32 62 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

This is hilarious! I am so surprised that the Society has counsel on learning the Klingon language.

g95 12/8 p. 8 A Look at Today’s Science Fiction ***

Star

Trek fans on five continents have devoted themselves to learning the fictitious language Klingon, which was featured in Star Trek TV shows and movies. Such extreme behavior does not harmonize with the Bible’s counsel at 1 Peter 1:13: "Keep your senses completely ["keep balanced," footnote]."

Edit: Actually, I should have said "why am I not surprised that the Society even has counsel on learning the Klingon language?"

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

And for the record, I do enjoy Star Trek but don't consider myself a Trekkie (I have never gone to a convention or dressed up). Anyone see the movie Trekkies? (Actually more of a humorous documentary of sorts...) It's quite funny...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I love Star Trek in all its variations, have gone to a convention - did not dress up (man those folks are weird) saw Sulu at the convention (without the cape)

Oh well I gave up waiting for the kingdom anyways

• shotgun
    shotgun

Damn Borg...They strayed out of the delta quadrant and launched an attack on Earth again!!!!!!!!!

I think they have their phasers set on stun though. Maybe they're right, Klingon can't be the pure language...... Kaplok...sounds like a noise the toilet makes!

I need a vacation on Risa.......

• CruithneLaLuna
    CruithneLaLuna

So, that elder I knew who delighted in individuating himself by playfully uttering a word of Klingon now and then will have to swallow his irritation (and shame and guilt at being spiritually stoopid, so unbalanced, etc.) and humbly put his attention on other things. The Society wants to tell people what hobbies are appropriate, how JWs are permitted to individuate themselves, and how not. I am pretty strict with myself regarding how I spend my time, and personally (although I ike sci-fi and Star Trek) would consider learning Klingon a "waste of time," but would never ever suggest to someone else that it was an inappopriate thing for them to do, if they were interested in it ... unless they were obviously unhealthily obsessed, which is another issue entirely.

Cruithne/Enhtiurc

• pinoy
    pinoy

This is hilarious! I am so surprised that the Society has counsel on learning the Klingon language.

What's the punchline?

• Prisca
    Prisca

Considering that the info is almost 8 yrs old it's probably been forgotten by most Dubs. Or conveniently forgotten by those who are Star Trek fans.

*waves at DanG*

• blondie
    blondie

I have been a sci-fan fan since I was 10 and discovered Heinlein. I was a trekkie from the beginning. I sat through the first Star Wars movie, ten times. I watched Mission to Mars just this morning and was thrilled to see that Epcot has a new "ride" based on this.

I watch Stargate every Friday night and told my husband I would not move anyplace that did not have SCI-FI channel. The "Taken" miniseries by Spielberg is being rerun starting 9/28 and Battlestar Gallitica will be airing December 7.

Maybe it is the areas I have lived in , but no one has hassled me about it. Many elders are sci-fan fans themselves.

I even went with one elder and his wife to a Trek convention though we went in our street clothes. It was amazing and more fun than a district convention.

The reason that those who write those comments do that is that they have their heads up their posteriors and can't see anything.

Blondie

• Angharad
    Angharad

One of the most painfully awkward embarrassing moments was at my cousin's wedding, when the best man (grooms brother) got up to do the speech and starting speaking Klingon

He and his brother thought they were so cool, but everyone else was cringing on their behalf

It was a witness wedding too, this was a month before me and Simon got married, and he still married me even though it showed him how nutty some of my family are

Anyway I love star trek too, but I wouldnt go as far as learning the language !

• pinoy
    pinoy

Considering that the info is almost 8 yrs old it's probably been forgotten by most Dubs. Or conveniently forgotten by those who are Star Trek fans.

And the reference that drwtsn indicated was g95 which from my reckoning stands for Awake1995 which is precisely 8 years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit