What "Rules" Did The Elders In Your KH Make?

by minimus 52 Replies latest jw friends

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Not my congregation but one in the area gave a local needs talk about the twilight movies. Apparently those were not ok if you were in that congregation.

One CO came through my grandparent's city in west texas and tried to ban cowboy boots from the stage. That didn't go over well.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

I was once told that the Avatar movie was demonic because the word Avatar referred to a spirit being inhabiting a body. Even though the movie had nothing to do with spirit beings and the word Avatar has been used in other ways for gaming and the internet. LOL

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I remember a circuit overseer giving a talk about how terrible and wrong it would be to see the movie titanic and it was funny because half the congregation had seen it. Another CO had a thing about star wars and again he was too late with his crazy counsel.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

What's wrong with Titanic? Oh, God forbid somebody sees a boob or two LOL

• flipper
    flipper

Anything they thought they could get away with in order to control " the friends " - or " the flock " . It was disgusting

• Finally Left
    Finally Left

The CO said we could not go and see Beauty and the Beast. That is about beastiality!

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

They all have their little soap boxes. One Elder had a fixation with sitting in the front rows at the KH, so he would shove all the back seats forward so no one could sit there. I loved that one when my kids were small. Always fun to sit up front with a whiny 2 year old. Asshats!

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

In our hall, they put the words to the songs on the screen. The CO came and said they can't do that because of copy right issue. So the elders just stopped displaying them until after the first of this year when then society put it's own version out.

I asked one of the elder, what copy right issue? How could we violate our own copy right? We are using it to sing Kingdum songs so why is that an issue with the GB? He just looked at me and said that's what the CO said to do. I responded back, yeah, but does that make it right? What actual harm is that doing to anyone by singing kingdom songs in the Kingdom hall? I said this in front of a bunch of other witnesses. He had a look of "how dare you".

In the JW world, they mistake a free thinker to be a non humble person. I will not drink the effen cool aid.

• undercover
    undercover

Hah! What rules didn't they make would be a shorter list.

From movies to music to cars to clothes to hair to where you were allowed to sit in a KH, they covered it all.

A couple of notables: no necklaces or bracelets for brothers. Gay men wear them, thus, it was wrong (no one ever asked about pirates). I used to give a pioneer sister a ride home from service. She had to ride in the back seat. The age difference wasn't insurmountable, but she was...

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Elders attempted to stop our weekly ice hockey game at the local arena. They said there was nothing wrong having the occasional game, but having it planned every week was an issue. It was serious enough to threaten our congregation privileges. I asked him how did he think we could secure a time slot at the arena if we didn't commit to a specific time? Then I asked him if he dedicated time to watch a favorite weekly TV show or even the daily news...that wouldn't be any different than playing hockey once a week at 7:00 pm on Friday nights. I told him that banning hockey is easy for someone who has not interest in this activity....I would find it easy too if they banned knitting or crosswords...the whole group of servants started laughing and the elders were embarrassed except for the one who had issues with organized sports. In the end we continued playing and they never took away our privileges.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit