What "Rules" Did The Elders In Your KH Make?

by minimus 52 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Some congregations were known as liberal and others were considered very conservative. Back in the 1970s a nearby congregation made all speakers who gave public talks a white shirt to wear. If a speaker came in wearing anything but white they were brought into the library and were given a white shirt! Yes, they had white shirts in every size available just in case the visiting speaker didn't get the memo.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I'll have to think.

BTW...I've never known a liberal JW congregation. At least in central Virginia.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Country "Line Dancing" was banned when it was the craze here.

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

Black dress shirts from the platform, wearing a ball cap backwards was rebellious, for a very brief time walk mans were frowned upon because you could secretly listen to heavy metal music.

• minimus
    minimus

House parties were frowned upon because of the likelihood of excessive drinking and the possibility that someone might feel slighted if they were not invited

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

Sideburns for some reason were really frowned upon (this was in the 90's)

I know in some spanish congregations dancing latin music at weddings was also prohibited for a while (merengue/salsa) especially by cubans. I guess the way it was danced in cuba was alot closer body contact or something. I always found the spanish hall always had alot more rules and people didn't question it as much.

There was some talk about pokemons and demonism...haha...let's say japanese anime in general..It was an unspoken rule not to let your kids watch/buy the cards,etc

• minimus
    minimus

I remember many years ago in Pokémon came out that I was asked if it was OK. I said I saw nothing in the publications that suggested it would be a problem. The only thing I cautioned about was not to be excessive and overindulgent and anything

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

When I was in the "Bible Study" - Unbaptized - I attended their convention for the first time. The BS elder saw my Unshaved face ,was quite upset and advised me to come clean shaved for their meetings. I should have recognized their cult control early then, only if I had the common sense I have now.

• NoviceLocs14
    NoviceLocs14

One of our lovely elders made a "guideline card" on how we should do street witnessing. One rule on there banned the brothers from approaching and offering literature to women. Some of the other elders openly took issue with this, but somehow these "rules" still went into effect. I'm mad I didn't keep a copy of the card for laughs.

• Finally Left
    Finally Left

A sister and I arranged an AFTERNOON get together for our congregation. Food, games, dominos, usual stuff. The circuit overseer had just visited. We had one elder in our hall that wanted to be a big shot and he practically worshiped the CO. It was ridiculous. Well the CO had said something about get togethers so the elder brought my husband in and had us cancel it.

This totally backfired. The congregation was so upset it had been cancelled. When they asked us why we told them what the elder had said. So the congregation position was - they don't trust us, what in the world do you think we are going to do? It was ridiculous and actually harmed the congregation for quite some time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit