Found Another Medieval Coin This Evening

by cofty 34 Replies latest social physical

• cofty
    cofty

I got in an hour metal detecting this evening and found this almost immediately.

It is a silver penny of Henry II minted in London by "Davi" between 1180 and 1189. This adds a king I didn't have in my collection. I now have the series of Henry II - John - Henry III - Edward I - Edward II - Edward III.

I now need Richard the Lionheart to fill in the gap. He was the brother of John and reigned after the death of Henry II

It's a great feeling to pick up a coin that nobody has touched for well over 800 years in a world that was so different. Even more so as it was only about 200 yards from my front door.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Wow, wow, WOW!!! So exciting... To say the least. lol

"Two hundred yards from my front door".

Amazing. Simply, amazing.

I am tickled pink for you. (An American expression).

LoisLane

• sir82
    sir82

You're making me jealous!

• Spiral
    Spiral

Terrific! So happy for you, that's exciting.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

You lucky rat!

• cofty
    cofty

Very interesting episode in the life of Henry II involved his relationship with Archbishop Thomas Becket. Henry appointed his friend because he thought he could control him, but Becket turned out to be his own man.

After one altercation on Christmas Day 1170 Henry uttered the words "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?" Four of his knights failed to recognise this as a rhetorical question and went off and murdered Becket in Canterbury Cathedral.

Henry spent most of his life doing penance for this crime. To pick up a coin that nobody has touched since those times is a real buzz.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

nice try mate--but i can tell its just a well worn 50p coin.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

That's great! Now I wonder if you are on some kind of archaeological site.

• cofty
    cofty
    I wonder if you are on some kind of archaeological site

I live on a rural estate that appears in the records as far back as the 11th century. It has a very rich history. It was the property of Norman Knights since soon after the Conquest. I know a bit of the history of most of the families that owned it over the centuries. I have written it up for the current landowner.

There was a medieval village here but due to it's proximity to the Scottish border it was attacked many times. It is likely that it also fell victim to the plague.

One interesting highlight is that The earl of Bothwell hid here for a few nights in 1563 when he was on the run from being imprisoned in Edinburgh Castle. He was betrayed and recaptured here in the middle of the night and taken to the Tower of London. He later went on to murder Lord Darnley the husband of Mary Queen of Scots and to take Mary as his wife. He vowed revenge on the owner of the estate who had betrayed him.

As well as coins I find a lot of everyday objects.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Awesome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit