Found Another Medieval Coin This Evening

by cofty 34 Replies latest social physical

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Fascinating hobby and find, Cofty. thank you for sharing with us.

When you find a coin which you can pin to a period in history, is there any way to determine when the coin was dropped there? Or other artifacts? I remember that at the Etowah Indian Mounds museum in Bartow County Georgia USA, there was a Spanish sword from some Spanish expedition, that had been found on a Floyd County property/farm. It is called De Soto's Sword. It is believed that the sword was dropped there during Hernando De Soto's 1540 expedition or a later Spanish expedition in 1560.

Here is a news paper article about the dispute over ownership. There was an official archaeological dig going on, but the finders were not part of the dig. De Soto's Sword Ownership

• cofty
    cofty
    When you find a coin which you can pin to a period in history, is there any way to determine when the coin was dropped there?

Detecting finds mostly come from the plough soil. They have been tumbled back and forward by farming for centuries so they are out of archaeological context. Usually it is safe to assume they were lost around the time they belong to.

The oldest artefacts I have are Roman which in this area puts them around the 1st century AD

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty, I'm seriously considering purchasing a Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack. I want to look for coins and relics but there are also promising areas with ancient gold mines so I would like to try my luck with gold nuggets as well. As I understand this is a reasonable compromise between the two. Do you have any experience with this?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

BTW, there appears to be a new v4.0 version of the XP DEUS detector with a new coil that will be 12cm x 24cm or approximately 4.7" x 9.5" which is very close to the standard established for VLF gold prospecting detectors. This new coil via the V4 software will enable operation at 10 kHz, 20 kHz, 30 kHz, or 40 kHz. That sounds like a detector that can do double duty as coin/relics as well as gold detection. However it costs almost double the price of the Minelab. Is it worth the price difference? i can't find it for sale yet, btw ...

• cofty
    cofty

Hi Eden - I have to admit to knowing very little about the high-end detectors. I'm sure they are excellent. There are lots of reviews on YouTube that would be worth checking out. I use a Garrett AT-Pro which is a mid-price machine.

Be sure you have good permissions to detect on before parting with a lot of money. Remember it can take a lot of hours of detecting to find anything worth keeping. Most people who start the hobby give up in frustration. Enjoy the walk and any finds are a bonus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit