Science News article: ‘Case closed’: 99.9% of scientists agree climate emergency caused by humans

by Disillusioned JW 146 Replies latest social current

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Thanks, Earnest, for finding that information re. Dean Acheson.

He was talking specifically about the needs for some form of arms control, where as the WTS (as is typical) put a somewhat different spin on his observations.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Don't blame Acheson for the formation of the World Bank!

60th Anniversary (worldbankimflib.org)

While the US Secretary of State certainly attended the 1944 Bretton Woods conference (which led to the creation of that institution), he wasn't its founder. Rather, that resulted very much from the efforts of the British economist John Maynard Keynes and a senior US Treasury official, Harry Dexter White.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Tonight PBS (on television) will air (or did air depending upon what time zone your are in) an educational program about global warming. The program is specifically about the feedback loops which "are amplifying global warming". If the program is as good as others I have seen on PBS of the same subject, then this one will be very good and very informative. The show is called "Earth Emergency" and the anchor of the show is a conservationist. For more information about the show see https://www.pbs.org/show/earth-emergency/ . The program can be watched on the web site.

The web page says the following. 'This revealing film examines how human activity is setting off dangerous warming loops that are pushing the climate to a point of no return - and what we need to do to stop them. With captivating illustrations, stunning footage and interviews with leading climate scientists as well as support from Greta Thunberg, "Earth Emergency" adds the missing piece of the climate puzzle.' [It seems that the program first aired on PBS on December 21, 2021.]

I urge everyone who is strongly interested in the science of this subject to watch the show with an open mind using critical thinking. Climate change, including global warming, is real. Knowledge, true accurate knowledge - with understanding, makes that very clear (at least to me).

• NonCoinCollector
    NonCoinCollector

For those who really believe climate change is influenced by human activity, I have questions. What are you personally doing about it? What habits are you changing today to make a difference? It is one thing to be concerned, it is quite another to get active in making a change. Might I suggest giving up your car if you drive one and replace it with one of these?

This is one of my e-bikes that I use almost daily.

• waton
    waton

ncc, that looks like fun, when it does not rain or snow, and you travel solo, light. but

even using our standard implements can become much more energy efficient, hence cooler.

drive so as to never have the use the brakes. with foresight, coasting in neutral, super insulate your house, particularly windows, doors. use renewable energy for heating, cooling, cooking. Hydro electric over natural gas,

avoid food waste. eat or use it all.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Hi NonCoinCollector in answer to your questions I actually mentioned in other posts months ago what I did. But since I soon have to start getting ready for work, at this moment I will only say I no longer drive and no longer own a car. I use public transportation combined with walking.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Here is what I believe:

1. The climate does change, and human activity is driving at least some part of the current change. This appears to be pretty solid scientific consensus.

2. Almost every other prediction or claim --especially the ones about 'climate emergencies'-- are not included in that consensus, and no serious scientist without an agenda is making such claims. Those that are, are trying to fool people into thinking that "the scientific consensus" is some kind of blanket that can be stretched across every claim and every idea, no matter how far-fetched.

The notion that we only have X number of years before we enter an irreversible catastrophic warming loop that will turn us into Venus is nonsense. Earth has had far more extreme climate in the past, with significantly different balances of atmospheric content. There have been at least six or seven periods in the past were conditions were so bad that nearly all life was wiped out. Yet here we are, in a comparably ideal climate that has lasted for centuries.

The notion that we are more than one small factor in the current warming trend is not, as far as I am aware, a part of the scientific consensus. I am all for finding ways to pollute less, whether or not it will stop the current warming trend. But I can't help but feel that it's a sort of con game- force political and social changes that they know won't make enough of a difference, thus giving them the opportunity to impose greater restrictions and grant themselves more power and control. Once they have enough of both, they stop caring about the "climate emergency."

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Disillusioned:

You had no credibility to start, then throw in Greta as an expert!

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

road to nowhere, I don't know where you get the idea that I had "... no credibility to start ...', but you are entitled to have that dissenting view. I realize that the overwhelming number of topic threads about global warming and climate change on this site were created by those who don't consider global warming and climate change as something that is becoming a major problem (mostly one for future generations). I realize that most of those topic threads made numerous posts from a far right political perspective saying that warnings about climate change were created in order to make money. I thus realize that I am out numbered in topic on this site.

Regarding Greta, in post from last night in this topic thread my only mention of her was as part of the quote of the PBS show description about global warming and feedback loops. However though Greta is not a scientist, I am convinced that she is well informed about global warming and a great spokesperson about the need to fight the human contributing causes of global warming.

TonusOH, while you are correct in saying that the "Earth has had far more extreme climate in the past ...." what is very different now is the rate of climate change is vastly more rapid now than it ever was before humans (or even earlier hominids) appeared in the fossil record. We know by geologic samples which have been analyzed.

An extremely rapid rate of climate change makes it too hard for ecosystems and individual species to evolutionary adapt (and to adapt in other ways) to the changes. That is what a number of science books about paleontology and evolution I have read say, as well as some science programs on PBS in the COSMOS science TV series.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I like what Ben Shapiro said. It was that if the climate is gradually changing then it's not an emergency, it's a 'problem'. We are good at solving problems. But he speaks so fast, I can't keep up with him.

'Climate alarmism/emergency'....what a load of shit. I'm sick of hearing about it and seeing how it's been politisised to make money and gain control. Utter SHITE!!! The whole argument is based on what some blokes in white coats are blathering on about and how corrupt politicians can use it to their own ends. And Boris Johnson should tell Carrie to fXck right off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit