Science News article: ‘Case closed’: 99.9% of scientists agree climate emergency caused by humans

by Disillusioned JW 146 Replies latest social current

• joey jojo
    joey jojo
    DATA-DOG
    I upvote some things that Vidquin shares and I certainly don’t need Rivergang or Joey-Joe Joe to explain anything to me… other than how they expect to produce batteries for EVs without someone raping the environment or groups of people who inhabit areas where rare minerals are to be found.

Good for you if you upvote Vidquns Facebook memes that attempt to offer scientific evidence to support his claims.

Seeing you asked, here is an article that might interest you:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2021-11-15/green-mines-a-renewable-energy-evolution/100613266

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

The preferred battery for EVs is the Lithium-Ion type, which is constructed from lithium, cobalt, manganese, graphite and nickel.

Battery technology has move on considerably in the 15 years since the first hybrid cars were released onto the market, and rare earths are no longer required for their construction. (The Nickel-Metal Hydride cell enjoyed some brief popularity during the mid-2000s, but was quickly overtaken by progress).

Conversely, a rare earth material, cerium, is used in vehicles which are powered with internal combustion engines. It is one of the materials used in the catalytic converters. In fact, 26% of the rare earths which are mined are used as catalyst materials. These are to be found primarily either in car exhaust systems, or else in the petroleum refining industry.

As one wag recently summed matters up: "There are a total of 17 rare earth elements in the Periodic Table, and none of them are named lithium, cobalt, manganese, carbon (graphite) or nickel".

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I wonder if any of the climate change deniers who post on this web site think highly of Bill Nye ("The Science Guy") in regards to what he says about science and in regards to his integrity. If any of them think highly of him, then I encourage them to consider what he says about climate change.

Bill Nye takes climate change seriously and he says that climate change is real, that is now largely human caused, that is scares him, and that humans need to take action to fight climate change - including voting to stop climate change.

in the quotes below, the boldface (but the not the wording) was added me to me for emphasis.

I have a hardcover edition of a book by Bill Nye called Everything All At Once (copyright 2017). He addresses much of his book to nerds (and Nye identifies as a nerd). A day or so ago I noticed that pages 110-111 say the following.

'We nerds, scientists, and fellow travelers have a two-part responsibility here. First, we have to fight back against people who actively try to devalue the knowledge that we have fought so hard to gain. I believe we have to defend scientific ideas, and even more importantly, we have to defend the scientific process, the principle of being open to new information. We have to actively promote the philosophy that everyone knows something you don't. ... We also need to have sympathetic discussions (I mean instead of loud arguments) about human-caused climate change.

... I've heard too many climate "debates" that consist of deniers saying climate change is a hoax and the ostensibly pro-science people responding that the deniers are either thoughtless idiots or amoral evildoers. Look I am very familiar with how frustrating it can be to talk with people who reject scientific evidence, but I'm pretty sure that nobody has ever changed his or her mind as a result of being called an idiot.

We need to hold accountable the leaders of the climate-denialist movement, the enemies of the idea that everyone knows something you don't. We need to expose what they do not know and discredit them. At the same time, we need to find ways to spread information and real evidence in a way that inspires confidence and trust. Wherever possible, we must work to vote the troublemakers out of office, exposing their corruption and offering a clear alternative that will actually protect and uplift us all. And who is this "we" I'm talking about? It is all of us. A meaningful response to climate change will take more scientific research and engineering solutions. It will also take lobbying, public outreach, community organizing, get-out-the-vote drives, and corporate support.'

On pages 183-184 and on page 193 of his book Bill Nye addresses a number of the claims repeated by some climate deniers who posted in this topic thread

On pages 183-185 Bill Nye says the following.

'On Earth, the global average temperature is about 15°C (58°F). On Venus, the average temperature is about 460°C (860°F). Venus is closer to the Sun, but that doesn't explain the drastic difference .... What really sets Venus apart form our planet is its atmosphere, which is 90 times as thick as Earth's and made almost entirely of carbon dioxide. All that CO2 produces a super-greenhouse effect, and as the result is a world where even the coolest day would melt a lead fishing weight into a puddle.

... Comparing Earth with Venus is a pedagogical path that Carl Sagan took us down when I was his student 2 decades earlier. Sagan and climate scientist James Hansen realized that the greenhouse effect explains the other planet's extreme temperatures. later they connected the Venusian studies to the possibility of climate change on Earth.

... I've been fighting the climate-change fight for more than 23 years now, along with many others out there, the full-time climate scientists. Hansen, the former director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, did an early study conclusively showing that carbon dioxide produced by human activity is making the world get warmer faster than at any time in the past few hundred thousand years. Michael Mann at Pennsylvania State University produced the famous "hockey stick" graph illustrating the world's temperature over the past several thousand years. Earth's overall temperature was steady for millennia, but now--woosh-it has shot up swiftly in just the last 250 years. Gavin Schmidt, who succeeded Hansen at the Goddard Institute for Space Studies, advances and refines our climate models by the day. But in a world filled with people who willfully promote misinformation to further their own agenda, somehow it is still a fight to get this reality taken seriously. ... What it means is that we need to embrace the Sagan approach even more vigorously. Take the long view. Be resolute but remain optimistic. Relate ideas in ways that people understand through clear storytelling and personal connections.

... What I want to do is get everybody in the United States, everybody in the world, on board with the exciting opportunities. We don't want our greenhouse effect to get away from us. As Sagan warned, we do not want to be like Venus. We can produce clean electricity in new ways. ... The jobs to create the renewable economy would be here on native soil. We've seen a recent eruption of populist politics around the world, propelled in part by complains about the loss of local control of the economy. Well, if you want locally produced energy, you are not going to do better than wind, solar, geothermal, and tidal energy. It's yet another instance in which the best, nerd-certified solution ends up benefiting everyone.

Part of the reason for this book is to enlist your help ... --getting you to be part of the resonance. Help people link extreme weather events with the global warming that makes those kinds of events more likely. Help people understand that renewable energy comes with local control. Connect the inspiring discoveries of space exploration with the things we now understand about the danger of rapid climate change on our own planet. Making these conceptual and personal connections is a very Carl Sagan way of communicating the science. I'm sure it works, because I've seen it work.'

Bill Nye says the following on pages 193-194 of his book.

'With this said, we are living in a weird time for critical thinking. Climate change is a prime example. Several decades ago, scientists started seeing indications that the whole world is getting warmer overall. Since then they have gathered enormous amounts of data to verify and quantify the discovery. The claim today is quite specific: Earth's temperature is rising, and industrial emissions are the primary cause. it is testable, and nearly all climate scientists will tell you that the evidence for human-driven global warming has in fact been tested and thoroughly verified. Yet a determined collection of climate-change deniers has managed to sow doubt here at the testability stage. They question the researchers' motivations. They question the quality and the quantity of the evidence, implying (incorrectly) that there is not extremely strong agreement within the climate-research community. That is why some scientists and science journalists push back, noting that there is about a 97 percent consensus that humans are driving climate change. Their point is not that a mob must be right. It is more an appeal to Occam's razor. it would take quite an elaborate conspiracy to get that many people to sign on to bad or crooked results. The far simpler explanation is that the researchers are doing exactly what they appear to be doing, gathering the best-available data and subjecting it to the best-possible analysis.

None of the climate counterclaims seem worthwhile to me, but I take the need for critical thinking seriously. This is a great opportunity for you to apply the standard of "prove it" for yourself. I think it is worthwhile to work through how you even know such a basic fact as the roundness of the Earth. So by all means--when it comes to climate change and global warming, I encourage everyone to evaluate the preponderance of evidence and to examine the publications by climate experts. As a critical thinker, you are like a juror in a very important trial, perhaps the most important one ever. The case here is one that will determine the welfare of billions of people.

Have at, my fellow nerd!'

The web page at https://billnye.com/documentary is a about a documentary about Bill Nye. It says the following.

'Bill Nye is a man on a mission: to stop the spread of anti-scientific thinking across the world.

... his behind-the-scenes portrait of Nye follows him as he takes off his Science Guy lab coat and takes on those who deny climate change, evolution, and a science-based world view. The film features Bill Nye, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Ann Druyan, and many others." Ann Druyan was the wife of Carl Sagan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/28/crosswords/bill-nye-climate-change-crossword.html says the following.

'In big discussions about climate change and Earth’s future, “words are really important,” Nye said. He criticized the way in which recent climate conversations have been handled on a global scale.

“The words are always watered down,” he said, pointing to discussions at COP26, a United Nations climate conference.

... When people say humans are likely to be responsible for climate change, “that’s different from saying it’s our fault,” Nye said. The phrases “climate change” and “global warming” are just two sides of the same coin, he said. And while the conversation about the warming planet can feel daunting, Nye believes that “everybody should be anxious about climate change.”

... “Global warming” has gradually been replaced, in many instances, by “climate change,” Deborah Tannen, a linguistics professor at Georgetown University, said. One disadvantage of the phrase “global warming” is that it can be taken to mean only increasing temperatures, so other catastrophic effects may not seem connected, Tannen said. “Global warming” acknowledges the overall trend toward warmer temperatures, but it largely neglects local effects, which are experienced as shifts in extremes, the climate scientist and Harvard professor Marianna Linz said. Those extremes could include heat, but they could also be droughts, floods or tornadoes.

Nye said that while taping the show in the ’90s, he was “concerned” about the future of the United States. “I still am,” he added.

“People are frightened by climate change, and they should be,” Nye said. “It’s a scary proposition.” '

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/04/bill-nye-the-best-way-to-fight-climate-change-is-by-voting.html says the following.

'The best way to save the planet isn't necessarily recycling – it's stepping into a voting booth.

That's according to celebrity science educator Bill Nye, television's "The Science Guy," who spoke at the Aspen Ideas Festival in Aspen, Colorado, last week. "To be sure, recycling the bottles, don't throw the plastic away [and] compost your compostable things ... Start there," Nye said. "[But] if you want to do one thing about climate change: Vote."

"And, if you're a kid and you can't vote yet, make sure your parents vote," Nye, 66, added. "Hassle them."

... Nye pointed to laws that would attach fees or taxes to carbon emissions as examples of legislation that might move the needle on climate change, because affecting the wallets of both individuals and corporations could help curtail the sort of behavior that results in exorbitant carbon usage.

"Take the environment into account [when voting]," he said. "Don't just vote for, with respect, dumb stuff. Vote for better laws to control climate change."

At Aspen, Nye said the best solution to increasingly powerful storms is reducing greenhouse gas emissions across the globe.

"What you would do is reduce greenhouse gas emissions, so the world doesn't get warm as fast as it's getting warm," he said. "The problem is the ocean is getting warm and then all of this energy that's being stored in the ocean leads to [increased convection] and these big hurricanes." '

https://www.ecowatch.com/bill-nye-climate-denial-politics.html says the following.

'Acosta began the interview by asking Nye how the climate crisis had impacted Hurricane Ian, which inundated some parts of Florida with a total rainfall only seen once every thousand years.

“This hurricane is exactly the kind of thing that’s predicted by every climate model,” Nye said.

The science educator mentioned three ways that Ian behaved in keeping with climate models:

1. Its strength
    2. Its size
    3. The fact that it intensified rapidly before making landfall

“The energy that drives a hurricane is heat,” Nye explained. “As the atmosphere gets warmer, the heat ends up in the ocean.”

He then went on to detail how slightly cooler air forces the warm ocean air upwards, where it hits the stratosphere and is transformed into a circular storm by the forces of gravity and the Earth’s rotation.

... Nye’s remarks to conservatives came as he was discussing what to do about climate change. He mentioned a plethora of solutions from improving infrastructure to building more trains. But he said one thing was standing in the way of any potential solution.

“If we don’t acknowledge there’s a problem, we’re not going to get it done,” he said.

He then called out Republican lawmakers specifically.

“And so I just want to ask conservative lawmakers to cut it out,” he said. “I understand that you want to get reelected. I understand that you have this primary system which motivates you to get these hardcore conservative voters engaged. But look, you’ve just, just cut it out.”

... This isn’t the first time that Nye has gotten political in the face of climate denial. In 2017, he called the Trump administration the “last gasp of the anti-science movement.” In 2018, he challenged Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over his approval of the controversial Trans Mountain pipeline expansion. He is also a disaster expert. He hosts The End is Nye on Peacock, in which he outlines how to survive natural disasters using science.'

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Question is: Who pays Bill Nye's salary? Whatever, try and follow the logic. Is comparing earth to Venus a useful comparison?

Planetary CO2 concentrations

Venus: 96.5% of total gases.

Mars: 95% of total gases (Why is the mean temperature of Mars -60 degrees Celsius?)

Earth: 0.04% of total gases. On top of that, earth has green plants to help turn CO2 into carbon based products, O2 and H20 in a process called photosynthesis.

One of my lecturers had a favorite saying: "Think! It might be a new experience for you."

• MeanMrMustard
  • Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

The quote from page 183 of Bill Nye's book which says "... 2 decades earlier" seems to mean 2 decades earlier than the year 1993. I think that because of the following. The quote on page 183 about the temperatures of Venus and of Earth is of what Bill Nye says he discussed in a book he wrote in 1993. Furthermore, a Wikipedia article about Bill Nye says he attended Cornell University from 1973 to 1977, and it says that while at Cornell Bill Nye took an astronomy course taught by Carl Sagan.

Regarding Vidqun's question of "Why is the mean temperature of Mars -60 degrees Celsius?", despite CO2 being about 96.5% of total gases, that answer should be obvious to those who researched the matter. It is obvious to me. It is because the total amount of gases on Mars is minute. The total amount of atmosphere of Mars is only about 1 percent of that of Earth. If the amount was the same as that of Earth it would be a much warmer planet than it now it. Scientists say that Mars used to have much more atmosphere but that it lost most of it, largely because its gravity wasn't strong enough to hold onto it. They also say that liquid water used to cover much of the surface of Mars and that Mars used to be much warmer than it is now.

Regarding Venus, it has vastly more total atmosphere than Earth. Scientists say that Venus used be much more like Earth - even possibly habitable, but that it later experienced a runway greenhouse effect! https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2475/nasa-climate-modeling-suggests-venus-may-have-been-habitable/ says the following.

"Venus today is a hellish world. It has a crushing carbon dioxide atmosphere 90 times as thick as Earth’s. There is almost no water vapor. Temperatures reach 864 degrees Fahrenheit (462 degrees Celsius) at its surface.

Scientists long have theorized that Venus formed out of ingredients similar to Earth’s, but followed a different evolutionary path. Measurements by NASA’s Pioneer mission to Venus in the 1980s first suggested Venus originally may have had an ocean. However, Venus is closer to the sun than Earth and receives far more sunlight. As a result, the planet’s early ocean evaporated, water-vapor molecules were broken apart by ultraviolet radiation, and hydrogen escaped to space. With no water left on the surface, carbon dioxide built up in the atmosphere, leading to a so-called runaway greenhouse effect that created present conditions."

See also https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2020/03/20/runaway-greenhouse-effect-turned-venus-into-hell-could-same-thing-happen-here/ which says in part the following about Venus.

'Once upon a time, around small yellow sun, there existed a world with a rocky surface and a molten core. It harbored water and may even have been hospitable to life.

Then the planet got hot -- really hot. Its atmosphere filled with heat-trapping gases. Water evaporated into its atmosphere and then was lost to space. Whatever mechanisms the planet may have had for balancing its climate were broken. Nothing, not even a robot, could survive there.

This is not a scenario from a science fiction novel about climate change (or the director’s cut of Wall-E). It’s what scientists say really happened to a world in our own solar system: Venus.

... Now Venus is the poster child for the “runaway greenhouse effect," a testament to the way a planet can change when the cycles that balance its climate are broken. The temperature at its surface is more than 850 degrees Fahrenheit -- as hot as a self-cleaning oven. The crushing pressure of an atmosphere thick with sulfuric acid clouds is as intense as what you’d experience half a mile beneath the ocean on Earth. If that wasn’t enough to kill you, breathing air composed of 96 percent carbon dioxide would do the trick.'

Regarding Vidqun's question of "Who pays Bill Nye's salary?", I see no significance to that in determining if that means Nye isn't really concerned about climate change being a huge danger to humankind or not. Many people take jobs in particular fields because those fields address matters which are important to them, instead of choosing them solely as a way to make money. For example, for a number years I had an online home-based business which sold solar electric modules. I chose to make money from that, rather than from something else instead of it, because I was (and am still) very greatly concerned about the environment and the environmental need for humankind to switch to from fossil fuel energy sources to renewable energy. My efforts to make money from the sale of solar electric modules did not cause me to be dishonest about the environmental importance of solar power and it did not cause me to be dishonest about the need to protect the environment, and it did not cause me to become dishonest about anything else.

Regarding where Bill Nye made and makes money from employment, he was host of the science education television show called Bill Nye the Science Guy from 1993–1999, and he makes money from the books he wrote which advocate science. Currently he is CEO of The Planetary Society, an American internationally-active non-governmental nonprofit organization. I don't know how much money, if any, he makes from that nonprofit organization. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planetary_Society says "The Society is dedicated to the exploration of the Solar System, the search for near-Earth objects, and the search for extraterrestrial life.[4]" The organization thus does seem to be about climate change.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-ol-patt-morrison-bill-nye-science-20170719-htmlstory.html quotes Bill Nye as saying the following.

'One’s intuition about climate change is not as good as facts about climate change.

It just sounds like people are scared. It just sounds like people are afraid. And the people who are afraid in general — with due respect, and I am now one of them — are older. Climate change deniers, by way of example, are older. It’s generational. So we’re just going to have to wait for those people to “age out,” as they say. “Age out” is a euphemism for “die.” But it’ll happen, I guarantee you — that’ll happen.'

I hope that Bill Nye is right in thinking that the majority of climate change deniers are older people and that as result eventually there will be virtually no more climate deniers, since climate change is for real and urgently needs to recognized as such by the vast majority of adult humankind! Poll results say that Bill Nye is right about what age group primarily denies climate change. Note that https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/05/26/key-findings-how-americans-attitudes-about-climate-change-differ-by-generation-party-and-other-factors/ says the following regarding people in the USA

"

Younger generations in the U.S. are especially likely to express an interest in addressing climate change – and to say they have personally taken some kind of action to do so. About a third of Gen Zers (32%) and 28% of Millennials say they’ve done something in the past year to address climate change, such as donating money, volunteering, contacting an elected official or attending a rally or protest. And two-thirds of Gen Zers, as well as 61% of Millennials, say they’ve talked with friends or family about the need for action on climate change in the past few weeks. Smaller shares of Gen X and Baby Boomer and older adults say they’ve done these things.

Younger generations are also more likely to engage with climate change on social media: 45% of Gen Z and 40% of Millennial social media users say they’ve engaged with climate-related content in some way, such as by interacting with or sharing a post about the need for climate action or following an account focused on the cause. About half as many social media users who are Baby Boomers or members of older generations report doing the same.

A majority of Gen Zers (56%) and Millennials (57%) support a move to phase out gasoline-powered vehicles, compared with smaller shares in older generations. Younger generations are also significantly more likely than older ones to support phasing out the use of oil, coal and natural gas entirely, though about half or more across all generations favor using a mix of fossil fuel and renewable energy sources going forward."

• Vidqun

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit