Jehovah's Witnesses' Brooklyn tax exemptions totaled $368 million

by OrphanCrow 34 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    You think sometimes that Corporations just using Religion as a scheme to hide under a tax-free bracket. It seems.

That is not the case with the WTS. The" Society" is a religion. -At least that is what the US gov determines to be the case.

In good faith, the US gov views religion and other entities claiming to be religions as NPO and that entitles them to tax exempt status -but a corp does not have to be a religion to be a NPO and benefit from tax exemption and neither does a religion have to be a corporation to get the same tax exemption. Funny though that even jesus was nailed for taxes so Caesar should have no problem with any religion when it is time to pay the bill.

• wizzstick
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    I suppose that the financial records of any religious org could be obtained, investigated, posted -but I tell you that they won't like it none and those guys are not like the WT. They bite -and hard in retaliation. But in any event, it stands to reason that religions made up up millions of followers need money to operate, not pennies.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Religions reap all the benefits which Governments grant them with tax free status. Most religions give dick squat back to the Governments which grant them such benefits.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Most religions give dick squat back to the Governments which grant them such benefits.

There is no free lunch -they say. It can be observed when a particular religion is reaping fat, one of its members holds public office or sometimes a religion influences members to vote or take a political position or someone that wants to get elected slants towards a particular religious majority. Religion serves a political purpose and although it does not pay taxes their followers do and buy products and services.

Take for example the WT, they are non-political so they do not get any favors. What they have, they fought for. But they buy paper and services and other goods and employ companies and law firms -and that is big business. Take paper for example that they buy or bought a lot of in the past.. Those companies that sell to WT do pay a lot of taxes and employ people who the gov extract taxes from etc. So although WT does not pay taxes directly in a way they do so derivatively. But notwithstanding the taxes, WT is a big customer and those wt suppliers are enemies with WT enemies not because WT has secret deals with them but because WT is their bread and butter. WT doesn't print much as they used to but they are still a major customer to their suppliers Other religions too that do not pay taxes do benefit the government -until they are not needed or are more of a problem than an asset. Just my guess on this. I do not know.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Maybe youre right. The WT is a customer to suppliers and companies, which generates revenue for other companies. Then companies in turn pay taxes on what the purchase.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

Then companies in turn pay taxes on what the purchase.

As you say, maybe. Also, in the USA nothing is 100 percent legal which means that gov can get you one way or another for something, and taxes is something that they can nail anybody for no matter how much someone tries to be honest.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    Of course the city is going to go for a cash grab. Can't blame em. The Borg offered 5 million and the city is sniffing to see if they can get more. Maybe they will get 7 mill or something. For the most part WT has been a good tenant in Brooklyn. In the near future all of the WT Brooklyn properties will be returned to the city tax doles. I'm surprised that the city council is picking now to complain about my cult.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

The Borg offered 5 million

Why should WT have to pay anything at all? That is a lot of hard earned sheep money.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    I think that Brooklyn isn't holding its breath about 50million dollars parting gift from the WTBTS. Ultimately, they should just have a party and figure good riddance to bad rubbish. They were great about taking care of their own property while their tax status meant that the neighborhood got NOTHING in return(witness that park/subway stop). I would donate champagne for the party and I don't even drink.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit