Jehovah's Witnesses' Brooklyn tax exemptions totaled $368 million

by OrphanCrow 34 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Jehovah's Witnesses' Brooklyn tax exemptions totaled $368 million

Downtown Brooklyn Partnership ups its pressure on the tax-exempt organization to donate $50 million

The Jehovah’s Witnesses have been exempted from paying at least $368 million in taxes on their Brooklyn real estate holdings over the last 12 years, according to an analysis by the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership and consulting firm BJH Advisers. The Partnership released the finding to increase its pressure on the religious organization to donate $50 million to the borough as it sells off at great profit the remainder of its Brooklyn property and moves upstate.
    “This is the last chance to do it,” said the partnership’s president, Tucker Reed, who initially called for the monetary gift in a December op-ed in Crain's. “Once they leave and head upstate, if anyone goes knocking on their door with a tin cup saying, ‘Hey, remember Brooklyn,’ it is going to fall on deaf ears.”
    The study looked at the Witnesses’ Brooklyn portfolio of 37 properties concentrated in and around Brooklyn Heights and Dumbo. As a religious organization, the group is exempt from paying taxes. The analysis estimated that its property taxes would have totaled $138.6 million since 2006, while transfer and capital gains taxes for 21 of its sites sold since 2004 would have added up to about $230 million. Reed called that a conservative estimate, but said it shows the magnitude of the Witnesses' profits and the money that otherwise would have gone to taxpayers.
    “Hopefully this analysis starts to put some real numbers to what we are talking about,” he said.

Read full article and the Watchtower Portfolio Analysis here:http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20160204/REAL_ESTATE/160209923/jehovahs-witnesses-brooklyn-tax-exemptions-totaled-368-million
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

"No they didn't. Learn to read." - Fisherman

DD 😇

• park ave boy
    park ave boy
    I hope someone takes them to the highest court and makes a big stink about this! I said it once and I'll say it again- the WTBTS is not a charity and it shouldn't have any special tax status!
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    DD: "No they didn't. Learn to read." - Fisherman
    DD 😇

Haha!

Come over here and let me slap you, Datadog...

• juandefiero
    juandefiero

There's no way to take them to court over this.

Though we all feel it's unjustified, they were and still are a recognized tax exempt non-profit.

However, what can be done is what is BEING done by this partnership...put pressure on them, generate negative press for the org and make them look like a greedy, ungrateful corporation.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Bad press may force them to spin the story and create the illusion that they chose to give back to NYC willingly.

Will they have the gall to spin the story on JWTV? I doubt it, they want the sheeple ignorantly enthralled in their puff-piece stories. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens.

The GB just want to slip out the back door and get raptured! LOL!!!

DD

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

The Org give $50mill back to the community.

AIN'T GUNNA HAPPEN!!!!!

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

hey, what if the old teaching, that when the govt 'turns' on all the religions and goes after them for the tax money, then religious organizations will all collapse, [and they will deny they belong to a religion] comes true? then the Jw org will look like they were right,lol .

its interesting that so many institutions that claim non profit can get away with no paying taxes.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

park ave boy

'' I hope someone takes them to the highest court and makes a big stink about this! I said it once and I'll say it again- the WTBTS is not a charity and it shouldn't have any special tax status''

Having a church on your local corner on a street being ''tax free'' is one thing. But having a HUGE, multi-billion dollar, real estate company being ''tax free'' is a whole different thing.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ sowhatnow...

If the various tax agencies of the world ever went after a religion for that kind of thing, odds are it'd be the WTS first (maybe to set an example?).

Why?

Because they're one of the more egregious offenders, they'd garner zero sympathy from the public, and they have no friends in high places to go to bat for them. :sunglasses:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit