How old is old?

by joey jojo 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

When you can't poop by yourself anymore.

Rub a Dub

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

My body is ageing and feeling it, but not my brain/mind and I`m still young at heart .

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    joey - He goes on to tell me that he still isn't old.

He has to say that, otherwise Armageddon(tm) would seem like it's just a dream.

I'm 61 now and yet I'm still 25 in my head.

• waton
    waton

I'm 61 now and yet I'm still 25 in my head.

pon: that is because you have never stopped moving through time, and lived in the "now" moments of zero length. 61 yeras worth of zeros are still only zero. or 25.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

waton - there will come a time when there is zero in my head.

........a bit like the same number of hairs I have there........

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

We have a friend who is 90 years old and her biggest complaint she had last winter was she had no one to ski with so she went out on her own. She takes no drugs just one of those lucky one I guess. For me I am 65 dealing with pain every day in my back, legs and shoulders but I keep moving. Hopefully one day when I reach 90 I won't hurt no more. Lol. Still Totally ADD

• Half banana
    Half banana
    The bible standard of 70 or 80 still holds

This is true Road to nowhere, but it is a curious thing for the Psalmist to have said when life expectancy at the time might have been closer to 30 or 40 years.

Psalm 90 is unusual in having a superscription attributing it to Moses. If Moses wrote it when Moses was supposed to have lived it would have been around 1400 BCE. According to the Bible, Moses lived to 120 and his father Amram to 137, so this only confuses the idea further.

One answer would be to recognise that their is no evidence for Moses outside of the Bible and that events of his life parallel other characters from Egyptian mythology (his being saved from the river by a lady of the royal household) for example.

In my mind it remains a curiosity how the 70 or 80 years became part of the Psalm. My guess is that it was included very late in the Hebrew canon, probably at Alexandria in the Greek civilisation of Egypt, after 300 BCE when and where such ages were possibly attainable. However even in this most civilised of cities we do have records from funeral memorials at this time and most people are dying in their 20s and 30s.

A bit of exaggeration never goes amiss in religious belief!........... And don't drink water out of lead pipes.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Scruff Im 30 and feel old!
    Im also condidered an old father medically speaking.

Not quite. I think the age for a geriatric mother (Yes, that is the term or at least was) is 35. I don't think there is any such *medical* concept for a father but I do know the average age for parenthood is getting older every year. The area I live in the average parent is mid thirties for first child.

• waton
    waton
    Moses lived to 120

Hb: history is written by the victors (or their ghost writers). Few would reach that age, 80, even today if it would not be for the medical profession There was an article recently: those reaching 110 have a extra ordinary immune system

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I view one as needing to be at least 60 to be "old", and that is with the curses joke-hova placed on us. Even then, it is possible for someone to be 60 or older and in good enough condition to not be "old", as much as someone that is only 30 to be in such poor shape that they are "old". Physically, "old" is a condition where they are not regenerating but instead deteriorating. You reach this condition when most of your cells lose their telomeres to a degree where they cannot replicate or when your metabolism is so clogged with the poisons in our food, and lack the nutrients, so they cannot properly function.

Mentally, one can be "old" if they have a problem tolerating youth. Granted, the gangsta culture is objectively bad because so many petty crimes happen through this. Also, if one finds today's music lousy, there is an objective reason--they are controlled by someone that can't tolerate decent culture. Modern TV shows are also lousy, and because they lack substance and not because they are "dirty".

One is also mentally "old" if one feels guilty for having any fun. This is most common in the washtowel slaveholdery. Even teenagers can be "old" in this sense--I once ran into someone that was only 14 that hated music because it didn't glorify joke-hova (or jesus, as was the case with this devout xian). This trend runs through the whole washtowel--they can't enjoy anything without feeling so pious that they are willing to sacrifice it. From the ice cream money to that Led Zeppelin album (that even young people seem to find more entertaining than today's music), the washtowel makes people intolerant of having fun. And when you impose that on those around you consistently, you become an "old fogey" regardless of whether you are 6 or 120.

Supposedly, Satan is some 500,000 years old and has more appreciation for fun than a xian that is only 7. Old--definitely not, because I define "old" by how much time you have left compared to how much you already spent, or based on how much you are intolerant of people having a good time. For sure, being a devout xian makes you "old" before your time--and drains your energy so you become physically old before your time, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit