Are you a Christian Who Accepts Evolution?

by cofty 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Wake me - it only seems that way because you are thinking about Jesus' death in Watchtower terms.

Most Christians don't understand soteriology in that way.

• cobweb
    cobweb
    There is a tendency to conflate evolution with atheism. It would be good to show that this is not the case.

I don't really understand where you are going with this. Do you yourself believe in Christianity as well as Evolution?

I do see a conflict between having irrational beliefs such as in miracles and the resurrection of the dead and also a scientific approach which values evidence. If you do have the scientific approach, how can you then suspend it in the case of your chosen belief. It would be totally inconsistent.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    I do see a conflict between having irrational beliefs such as in miracles and the resurrection of the dead and also a scientific approach which values evidence. If you do have the scientific approach, how can you then suspend it in the case of your chosen belief. It would be totally inconsistent.

I agree, but check out the Wikipedia page on "non-overlapping magisteria" (not to be confused with -- but as confusing as --"overlapping generations").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-overlapping_magisteria

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

I've always wondered if Christians who accept evolution have considered at what point in the evolution process God decided that homo sapiens were human enough to deserve some kind of afterlife, or in the case of mainstream Christianity, when did homo sapiens acquire an "immortal soul". This and other contradictions that previous posters have pointed out highlight the cognitive dissonance involved with trying to accept both Christianity and reality.

• cobweb
    cobweb

I'd definitely recommend the book Faith vs Fact: Why Science and Faith are Incompatible by Jerry Coyne if you haven't read it. I'd be interested to know what you thought.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I've read quite a bit of Jerry Coyne's work. He expresses even more faith and belief than the religious people he criticises - except that his faith and belief is in science and evolution. Fine by me - humans are people of faith but lets at least acknowledge that this is so even for scientists because when belief and faith are present they have ceased being objective and factual. other scientists are more humble and will acknowledge how much is still unknown. Their work is more objective and trustworthy particularly as they do not claim that science offers/will one day offer explanations for everything.

edit: interesting review here

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/faith-fact-and-false-dichotomies

• cobweb
    cobweb

I'm sure Cofty will be interested in the notion that all of his carefully constructed threads describing the evidence for the fact of evolution is just a faith in evolution no different from faith in a man in the sky.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I very much doubt that

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"...Their work is more objective and trustworthy particularly "...Ruby456

Yet again in the space of a mere sentence the level of knowledge of science clearly shines through! I'm not going to lump you into the category that people like Perry dwell but be honest with yourself and think about how many scientific research papers you have read. However if you are referring to books that the likes of Richard Dawkins have written I can understand your comment in part but then writing popular science books is not how science progresses and my initial point remains.

• cofty
    cofty
    Do you yourself believe in Christianity as well as Evolution? - cobweb

No I personally have no supernatural beliefs at all.

However millions of christians manage to live with the tension between their faith-based beliefs and an acceptance of the facts of science.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit