C.O. Reports: JWs/WTS "Reach Critical Mass...

by BitterTruth 107 Replies latest jw friends

• BitterTruth
    BitterTruth

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES/WTS HAVE REACHED "CRITICAL MASS" - says ex-Circuit Overseer

------Posting copied from H2O-----

Posted by XElder [Seeker4] on July 13, 2000 at 12:00:52 {rN3hpWrs1Eubi2TgJVEgd9BhHXgWag}:

JUST TALKED WITH MY OLD CIRCUIT OVERSEER

A former CO that served my congregatyion when I was an elder was visiting the area and looked me up - despite knowing I was no longer a JW. He serves as an elder in a congregation on the other side of the country (US) now, but we were very good friends when he was my CO about a decade ago. Went out of circuit work about five years back.

Thought some might be interested in a few things we talked about in a long, three hour conversation.
    He says he's working to overcome a deep and intense anger against the Watchtower Society for the way its misled so many for so long, and that he feels the organization is accountable not only for that, but also for the hundreds of lives damaged and lost due to following WTS policies that have now changed (alternative military service, blood, transplants, dialysis, etc.).

He said he no longer has faith in much of anything that the F&DS prints in the literature. His experiences in the traveling work and with over 50 years as a Witness has convinced him that the Society has very little concern for individual friends, and is mainly focused on keeping itself going, a sentiment that he said was shared by many of the DOs he worked with, including one who told him that "the Mormons treat their members better than we do!"

In recent talks with a couple who were formerly missionaries, and who now serve in a US congregation, the couple told him they feel that the Organization is floundering, that it is essentially a "rudderless ship" without any leadership. He talked freely about the "liberal and conservative" elements at Bethel who are struggling against each other to make some sort of sense about where the WTS is headed, and how it will handle the mess it's in. This is from a Brother with lots of organizational responsibility as an elder and mucho connections among the traveling brothers and at Bethel.

Though my views would be considered apostate by a lot of JWs, he essentially agreed with me about the problems in the Organization that drove me away, and went on to assure me that many, many elders he's been able to talk with recently in his area and in mine, have feelings not that far from my own, including brothers who are in the traveling work. He said he has consistently been cautioned by traveling brothers in recent years to be careful about anything he writes to the Society, as the WTS is, in his words, "terribly afraid of apostates."

Quality of meetings and assemblies have really fallen off, he said, with brothers just dryly repeating the same old cliches, fearing to vary from WTS manuscripts and outlines, and fearing to say anything that could begin to be viewed as controversial. He made the comment that "no one" in the congregations any longer believes that the End Is Near, noting that the Society's attempt to boost field service by lowering pioneer hours was an abject failure. The friends have lost any sense of urgency in the work. He said that at a meeting of traveling brothers with reps from the Gov. Body in the mid-90s, the brothers were deeply concerned then about the drop off in meeting attendance, field service, etc. He said the Bethel bros. told them at the time that meeting attendance nationally was running at about 60%! (Can you imagine what it is now?) The brothers wanted the COs to tell them what was happening among the friends and what they should do, but when some COs suggested the need to drop the idea of handing in time, back off from making rules in areas not specifically covered by Scriptures, emphasizing Scriptural principles instead of making rules, coming clean on mistakes and screwups, etc., the Society ignored them. It was felt that any loosening of control by the WTS would result in many Friends leaving, or the WTS itself losing credibility. The comment was made that if the Society stopped having the friends hand in time, at least half would no longer go out. My CO friend said that the WTS is so used to using coercive measures like handing in time, talks about the need to do more, etc. etc., that they cannot see another way of operating. He says he thinks the Society will soon drop the handing in time requirement and make other changes, and that it will mean literally millions will leave the Organization, but they will have to do it or die out. I told him I didn't think the Society would ever reform, and he told me that other elders he had recently talked with told him the same thing. I think he hopes it can, or feels that it has to in order to survive.

Then he mentioned a couple of really interesting things. He said that if it weren't for the growth among the Spanish speaking, the work would essentially be dead in certain parts of this country. He said an English congregation in his area had just been disbanded because there were no longer enough going to the meetings to support it. It was combined with another English congregation nearby. He said he doubted if the growth among the Spanish in this country and others, and the growth in the third world, would continue for much longer as the people in these lands gained greater self-sufficiency and intellectual freedom and moved away from the idea of needing to be told what to do.

Then he dropped this bomb. He said that he felt the problems in the WTS had reached "critical mass" and something dramatic would have to be done by the WTS very soon in order to salvage the organization. Either way, he said, he felt we would soon see a mass exodus of literally millions of Witnesses, because under the present course, the Society has been totally unable to maintain any sense of urgency in the preaching work, and has failed to focus the friends on the Bible principles and Christlike way of life that would give them the foundation to want to remain an active Witness.

Until the last few months, I had felt that it would be years before things came to a head with the WTS. But in the past few weeks I've had conversations with several active Witnesses, all of whom have expressed feelings similar to this former CO. Somehow I think that the jump into the new century has also created a psychological shift among many Witnesses, and more and more active Witnesses, including elders and others in responsibility, are becoming less and less afraid to talk about what they see as serious organizational problems that are just getting worse.

It was strange to hear this brother, an active elder with years of full-time service under his belt and a lifetime as a Witness, saying essentially the same things I'm hearing here on H2O. He said he felt there was a "flood" of people leaving the WTS for essentially the same reasons I had, and that this would force some sort of changes and reform. Anyone else getting any of these same vibes? I know reform is a lot to ask, but anyone else hearing about this wave of discontent in the Organization from people in the know? Frankly, I'm surprised - I didn't expect this much this soon.

XElder

----end of posting---

BT

Edited by - BitterTruth on 14 July 2000 19:40:1

• waiting
    waiting

Hey BT,

I read this on h20 also. I thought it was excellent thinking material.

Thanks for posting it here.

waiting

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I also read this on H20 and I was intrigued by it. Sometimes I think I see the realization in their eyes and then it quickly vanishes as the realization of what that would mean starts to take root... Quickly it is replaced with that familiar blank gleam that dreams and fantasies so often engender. The dream is so grand that it's little wonder that few are willing to open their eyes...I don't know that I blame them.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Frenchy,

But once your eyes are open, even slightly, isn't it hard to close them again? Particularily if it's your mind.

I am a master at being able to "click off." Have done it for years - I really have to be careful to control it. It's a two-edge sword. It's so much quieter in the mind and heart when we click off. Not necessarily easier - but quieter.

Remember when our kids were young? Sometimes just for quiet we would bribe them with just about anything. Quiet is equated with a lot of emotions. But not necessarily the truth.

Nice to hear from you again.

waiting

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

It's really not too easy to just click off. I tried to do this for years. On the outside everything was just fine, but there were the "thoughts", the knowledge, the knowing. Once you begin to see what really is, it's almost impossible to totally shut off ever again.

Edited by - RedhorseWoman on 15 July 2000 22:49:19

• Friend
    Friend

waiting, Frenchy, RedhorseWoman, et all

Your sentiments are not unique, which I am sure each of you knows. One problem faced by all Jehovah’s Witnesses in the predicament you’ve described in that they enjoy certain facets of association with Jehovah’s Witnesses and therefore find themselves in the extremely soul-searching situation of deciding, "In view of what I know, should I stay; will my conscience allow it?"

In larger communities probably the nearest thing to the above is when citizens find themselves at odds morally with prohibitions or tolerances within their society. Examples include: abortion (publicly funded, legalized or illegal) and capital punishment (or lack thereof).

Some citizens find themselves so opposed to their community’s tolerance or intolerance of one of the above that they decide they cannot conscientiously maintain their citizenship. Others find that their conscience allows them to remain as citizens as long as they voice their outrage. Yet other find that their conscience allows them to remain and just mind their own business, though they do have a strong disagreement. Finally there are those that just don’t give a hoot one way or another.

I think that the community of Jehovah’s Witnesses is very reflective of the above when it comes to moral issues in that there is a range of circumstances, knowledge, views and experiences that result in various reactions, reactions that include all of those mentioned above. For this reason it is good that each of us give ourselves plenty of time in determining what is best for us, our families and our neighbors regarding our continued association (or not) with Jehovah’s Witnesses.

I for one very much enjoy associating with people wanting to do right according to God’s word, the Bible. In that regard I think that Jehovah’s Witnesses are a remarkable people and I am happy they let me associate with them for that reason. I know that some of our detractors will argue that Jehovah’s Witnesses hold the Bible second to the "faithful slave." Well, I find those arguments to be less than valid because of one single fact. The day the Society states that its teachings hold precedent over the Bible will be the day that 99% of Jehovah’s Witnesses leave off association with the Society. I fully realize that that latter statement can be countered, but I don’t think successfully so; at least I’ve never seen it.

So, are their emotional, spiritual and intellectual quandaries regarding all that is Jehovah’s Witnesses? Yes, most definitely there is! But for individual reasons not all persons will resolve those quandaries alike. Regardless, none of those persons should rush into any resolution but rather each should give themselves plenty of time. On the other hand, in my opinion, none of us should criticize the choice of others who may decide differently than ourselves—which none of you seems to have done, BTW.

Friend

• SolidSender
    SolidSender

someone's obviously visited disneyworld recently and spent too much time in fantsyland .-SolidSender

• SolidSender
    SolidSender

BitterTruth - brilliant post. Inevitable i guess seeing how the GB are fooled by their own disguise. what's the latest dope/spin doctoring on 1914 do you know?-SolidSender

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Friend,

Nice posts with good thoughts. It's Saturday night and "this one's for all of us:"

No matter how great your triumps or how tragic your defeats remember that approximately one billion Chinese people couldn't care less. Abraham Lazlo

waiting

• Frenchy
    Frenchy
    But once your eyes are open, even slightly, isn't it hard to close them again? Particularily if it's your mind.--waiting

Yes, it's hard...at times impossible. I have heard a lot of negative expressions about 'the brotherhood' but I'm one of those that genuinely enjoys the association with the witnesses. I also enjoy association with a lot of 'worldly' people as well, I won’t deny or minimize that either.
    If everything were bad, there would be no problem. I would have walked out years ago but…I don't see the witnesses as a single mass of mindless zombies (though some are) as some have expressed on various boards and threads. I don't see the elders as evil, power hungry mongrels (although without question there are a few that are) out to ravage the flock. I don't see the Circuit and District Overseers as evil puppetmasters either. I've known too many of them personally for that. I don't view the individual members of the governing body as individuals that are plotting the take over of our minds with nothing more in the end than to increase their 'wealth' and power. I don’t have an intimate acquaintance with any of the GB members but I have met a few and talked to them. Those that I spoke with were very humble and gentle men with none of the arrogance that I have often seen with some of ‘Christendom’s’ ministers. Those are just some of the things that make walking away very difficult for me.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit